• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored comics anyone?

130 posts in this topic

The best restored book that I own is Miss America #1 CGC VF+ that is up on eBay right now (shameless plug)...

I can't say that I got it for a steal but I did get it at a fair price with the knowledge that it was restored. I sent it into CGC when I got the free submissions from the Collectors Society and was pleased to get the exact grade that I purchased it as. grin.gif

I will buy restored comics anyday. Not for outragious prices, but if it is cgc encapsulated, I will buy. Better to display something like that anyhow!

"Send me your weak and weary, restored, but not dreary!

-Jeremy-

I only have one restored book and that is BATMAN #43. Graded 4.0 slightly restored. I really don't agree with the grade because my dad owned the book before me. I don't think my dad would of done any kind of restoration on the comic and I never do any restoration on any of my books. Someday I may resubmit the book, but right now its no big deal to me. I plan on keeping the book.

Can you call CGC and get the graders notes to find out exactly where the restoration was done on the book? Maybe that could help you see if there really is any or if it might be a mistake and worth a resubmit.

I've never done this, so I don't know if their notes are that specific. Just thinking out loud.

A flash 105 that I bought in a group of about 20 comics for $3.00. Paid 200 in around 1990 to have it restored from a G+/VG- to what hasto be a VF+. I bough a Brave and Bold 28 from an auction last year for around $400 includind the fees. I also own a Hulk 181 in app.VF that I paid $49.99 for with no MVS. Have the stamp and will prob. have it put in someday.I also have a adventure 247 with a photostated front cover,no bc-not sure if that qualifies for restored.

Not sure about the best one, but I've purchased several purple label/restored golden age books with the only restoration being "spine reinforced", "centerfold reinforced", "tear seal", etc.,. (Okay, I did buy one with "pieces added, color touch" mad.gif ) These are for my collection, and I'll buy more if I can get them at the same relative prices I picked these up at!!

Fantastic Four #3 in CGC 9.4 with moderate restoration. I bought it from water-walker (Rob Hughes) in 2001 for $250, which I thought and still think is damn good. I'm sure I'll keep it since it's absolutely beautiful and the only better known copy is being held tightly in Brulato's grip. Here it is:

I have ASM #9 cgc VF- which looks great for the fair pricei paid,I think if a book with a little bit of restoration on it is still in my book a good way of picking up great old comics, when you don't "ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS no what...."ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS" moha,mohaha,mohahaha,mohahahaha -Dr.Evil grin.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I think the difference between restorations is that professional restoration can be removed if desired without damaging the book, while amateur restoration can't be easily removed. I don't believe it actually has to do with the quality of the work necessarily.

Some, please correct me if this is wrong.

As per my BEST restored book, it's a FF #1 raw in an easy VF.(See signature line) Major restoration done professionally. Got it very recently from my buddy Doug at Comic World for $1600.00. Best part, is most of it was paid for by trading him "dead" stuff in my collection I wasn't interested in keeping. So, didn't really cost my any $. (Although I still owe him about $200.00 worth of back issues) grin.gif

Interesting part of the math here, it was originally sold it to an individual during the days when restoration was not frowned upon for just a bit over $4000.00. When restoration was frowned upon, it was sold back to a dealer for substantially less. Just what I heard and have no way to confirm or deny this story. Classic case of buying high and selling low.

Now, greggy on the other hand..... cool.gif

Excellent point and it all goes back to the fallacy of this "10% Return" that so many auction houses and dealers are spouting to the uninformed.

Restored comics have lost value big-time, what dealers used to sell as NM (CGC VF or VF/NM) have dropped from their perceived value, and those key books in CGC 9.4-9.6 (what dealers used to call True NM or NM+) have always sold for 1.5 to 2X Guide.

When you do the math and adjust for those factors, comics have been an average to low-end investment, and it's only when using the "Guide Prices" for reference and then comparing them to CGC NM prices, can they even begin to match up.

Investing in comics usually means buying them off the shelf early on, or hitting the market for True NM copies during a time of depressed demand and prices, then waiting for the next upswing.

Or as we refer to it "doing a Greggy". grin.gif