• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restored comics anyone?

130 posts in this topic

If you want to buy a restored 9.4 or whatever for a fraction of the unrestored 9.4 price tag, you havent gotten a good deal on a 9.4! You've got a hand-painted thing of questionable value which may fill a whole in your collection but thats it. And, good luck trying to find the next guy to take it off your hands. You may find him, but its a far cry from "liquidity"

No one has said that restored books are liquid, or that money should be put into them. I understand your point about a "hand painted filler" but when it comes down to it, it's all about individual preference. In the case of James' FF #3 he's saying that asthetics is more important to him than anything else. So he'd rather have a restored 9.4 than a lesser looking unrestored copy, particularly because the chances of him getting as nice of a copy unrestored is slim to none. After all, value itself is fairly subjective.

It also greatly depends on what books your looking for. Would I buy, or place ANY value in a restored Captain America #100? Hell no. Would I buy, or place value in a Captain America #1? Hell yes. Infact, If I'm going to spend the same money, I'd rather have a restored 8.0, then an unrestored 4.5.

significant resto work done with pieces added etc, it has become an entirely different book. It is no longer the same FF #3 bought off the shelf (and was probably a VG at best) but is now a frankenstien book made to LOOK like a high grade copy.

Sort of like Michael Jackson's face. Poor Jackko. blush.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

but I have to say that trimming is VERY bad and should never be acceptable. It equates to total, irrevocable and intentional destruction

Trimming is a tricky one. Most of the trimming we see is on Silver Age books and usually involves the top or bottom edge being trimmed to remove the untidy over-hang (very common on Silver Marvels).

Modern/Bronze books do not have this overhang as the book is trimmed before it hits the shelves.

So, does it really matter when the book was trimmed?

Well, back to the topic at hand...

My best restored comic is JLA #3 9.0 which was the highest graded ish overall until just recently.

http://users.lvcm.com/rkent02/cgcjla35.JPG

Anyone want to speculate on current $$ value in terms of comparison. In other words, what UN-restored grade would equal this book, price-wise? 7.0? Lower?? frown.gif

I know other aspects are factored in (key? black cover? demand/popularity? how many have been graded total?). But generally speaking, ball-park estimate?

Rick

I and others think slightly restored books are a very good investment. the current attitude towards even minorly restored books is completely ridiculous. I had a conversation about this with Mr. Borock himself and he said he was very surprised the effect the purple label with minor resto - like color touch, tear seal, glue - has on the price of the book. His opinion was that slight resto should not effect prices the way that it has. If you look at prices paid for restored golden age, slight resto does not seem to hurt them as much but they are still bargains compared to unrestored. There a quite a few golden books with resto that still got the blue label! I am betting as time goes by and collectors get a better understanding of the different kinds of restoration and the overall effect on the book, collectors will pay more for slightly restored stuff. There is a very big difference between slight resto and those frankenstein books that have been trimmed, reglossed, pieces added etc!

i've seen restored books where the ONLY restoration done was "COVER TRIMMED". yet they were able to disgintuish between (A) and (P) - i guess in this case they looked at the quality of the trimming to determine amateur vs professional?

i guess in this case they looked at the quality of the trimming to determine amateur vs professional?

That would be my assumption as well. Trimming a book is not as easy as it sounds, mainly because you can't "erase" your mistake if you make one.

yes. And not only when but also how and by whom.

I realise that there is a big difference between trimming at the presses and someone trimming a book post production. I was just trying to illustrate the fact that trimming is not an alien process for a comic book, and if done well must surely be virtually imposible to detect.

I would put the value of your restored Justice League #3 at about VG/Fine guide, maybe Fine. That would be about $132.50 - $159.00 in today's market.

I have watched several FF #1's sold on ebay that were Apparent Very Fines, and they received close to Very Good guide for the copies. That is reinforced by what Doug at Comic World sold me his for (in trade). I am upping yours to VG/F or F only because it grades a bit higher at 9.0.

I am curious if you agree or disagree. It is after all, only an opinion. What's everyone else think? Is the comparison to a FF 1 fair????

Do you have a scan of one of the trimmed-only books where CGC marked it as (A) or (P)? I've seen at least half-a-dozen trimmed-only books, and none of them had the (A) or (P) designation. I take that to mean that CGC is neutral as to whether trimming is amateur or professional work.

Maybe, tho in many many years, the demand will be such that restored books will be accepted as they are in movie posters etc...but I'm not holding MY breath or putting my money into them! Im talking about the massive overhaul jobs: color touch, pieces added, glueing and reinforcing. That FF#3 had a lot of work dude!
"Moderate restoration" translates to "massive overhaul" and "a lot of work," does it? Well, isn't that interesting. DrBanner was able to spot the restoration on this FF 3 from the scan--can you? How big an area do you think CGC means when they say "moderate" restoration? Since you're giving such vivid descriptions of what CGC means by "moderate" restoration, I'm assuming you know.

Restored comics are not preferrable to unrestored ones. Restored comics should be worth less than unrestored ones. But what I can't get over is the ignorance inherent in the following two empirical observations I've made about collectors and restoration:

• 99% of collectors can't detect restoration
  • The 1% who can detect restoration almost never are the ones who complain about how much it sucks

restored comic books are like "fallen women"...once broken they can never regain their innocence!
Ummm...heh. Do me a favor here--give me a list of women in the public eye you think are hot. Here's my list--Winona Ryder, Jennifer Connelly, Shania Twain, Elle McPherson, Paulina Poritskova.

But what I can't get over is the ignorance inherent in the following two empirical observations I've made about collectors and restoration:...............99% of collectors can't detect restoration

Thats exactly why most collectors are so wary of restored books. If they are done well it is very hard to spot. So how is the average collectors supposed to make a distiction between slight, moderate and extensive resto? To the them restoration is restoration.

I am not saying this is right, but that is the mindset of most collectors.

....."Moderate restoration" translates to "massive overhaul" and "a lot of work," does it? Well, isn't that interesting. DrBanner was able to spot the restoration on this FF 3 from the scan--can you? How big an area do you think CGC means when they say "moderate" restoration? Since you're giving such vivid descriptions of what CGC means by "moderate" restoration, I'm assuming you know......

The restoration was obvious to me at least. I looked quickly and saw all the painting in the upper left hand corner. After that, I stopped ...it hurt my eyes too much. I'll look again if you really want.

The painting is easy to spot: printing is made of dots of ink. Only certain colors are possible to be printed without dots. Light blue is not one of them. As for CGC's definition of anything I'm at as much of a loss as anyone how they define anything!....But moderate would be more than slight, and lest than heavy!! (how's that?)

All those girls would be on my list too. ...but isn't Paulina getting a bit on in years for that list?