• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP — What would you buy??????

21 posts in this topic

Just got back from the Heroes con. I spent the day pondering which books to buy and finally walked out and decided to get some help. That's where you guys come in. I'm torn between buying a VF (maybe VF+) Fantastic Four Annual #1 with really nice pages and white cover with square corners and super gloss, or a super nice (seller graded it a VF, but it looks nicer) Tales of Suspense #49 along with a FF #36 and FF #45 (both super nice VF copies). All the books are unslabbed, but are being sold by sellers that I trust and really know their stuff. OK, one of the sellers is Harley. Anyway, I really like all the books, but wonder which would be the best "investment" should I decide to sell them in the future. I can only afford either the FF Annual or the TOS #49 and FF's 36 & 45 (or possibly the FF Annual and the other two FF's, since I already have two TOS #49's, but neither in this nice of grade). I plan on going back tomorrow and would really appreciate your help.

Thanks guys

— Rick frustrated.gif

The FF annual in legit VF shape is probably going to come up less often.

FF 36 and 45 are fairly common, even in VF.

Not so sure about TOS 49.

In all honesty, I think that instead you should take that money and buy a big stack of low and mid-grade silver age avengers like I have in my ebay store. It will provide more reading enjoyment.

High Grade TOS 49s are certainly as rare as HG FF annual #1,in my experiance and I'd say the demand is similar,as well.throw in the bonus of two more early FF books,and I'd go with the early X-men crossover.

FF annual # 1 "squarebound" Better choice!! No contest ,& I own both. Those early Marvel annuals were hard to find years ago let alone in high grade.

Didn't visit the con today, but am going back tomorrow to make a decision on either the FF Annual or TOS (did I mention a nice Avengers #9), if any of them are left. I did a little research on the books and have found several copies of the FF on ebay, Pedigree, Metropolis, etc. I haven't seen the TOS for sale in the last couple of months (at least in HG), but I do have a nice VF- and a Fine already, but it is a book that I would probably buy a dozen copies of if I could find them. The Avengers #9 is kind of an afterthought, and I really don't remember the grade or price of that one, but I always loved the Kirby cover, and the story, but I was never too excited about the Don Heck artwork inside. Anyway, it is a book that I will purchase at some time in the future.

A brief con report: This is always an enjoyable show. I see a lot of the exhibitors at other local shows during the year, so there's not a lot of books that I haven't seen before at their booths. Harley, as always, has some nice stuff. Another exhibitor, Dale Roberts, has some really nice stuff, too. It's always a treat to talk comics with Chris Foss, Rick Fortenberry and David Skankle. Sorry Arex and Sal, I didn't make it there today. Hope you had a great time and bought lots of stuff.

The first thing I did on Friday, was do a quick walk through looking for high grade DC Bronze horror books, but there were few to be found. The same goes for those elusive Neal Adams" Tomahawks. Rats!!! I've been considering picking up some nice copies of X-Men 95-100. They were everywhere! Most were pretty expensive too. I am going to wait on those also, because they will always be there when I'm ready to buy. Maybe the prices will go down a liitle by then.

One last thing that I observed...a lot of Dad's (and some Mom's too) where there with their kids. I think this is a great sign for our hobby, as parents past along their love of comics to their kids. I don't think the crash will happen soon.

Wish me luck tomorrow,

— Rick

Take the FF 1 annual and the TOS 49, if you can. Forget the others. Just MHO.

hi.gif

TOS 49 is a great book. First X-Men crossover. Just bought one from Arex Crooke.

Take both if you can: The FF Annual 1 is a tougher book I think, but I personally am partial to the TOS 49....

TOS49p19.jpg

Thanks! acclaim.gif

I got that page from another board member. But I have the page right after it, shown below, which I bought many years ago. I'll probably have them framed up together side by side with that cover.

So what did you end up buying??? We want scans! yay.gif

tos49p21.jpg