• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little @revat @Bomber-bob appreciation thread

23 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, celluloidbuff said:

I read through the newbie threads quite often.  While I've off-and-on collected comics since the early 70s as a kid with paper route money to blow, I've only recently within the last 3 years or so started collecting graded books, so I still consider myself a neophyte in those areas.  Some of the bigger dealers and facilitators on these boards have been instrumental in helping me build my personal collection, but these two boardies have helped me gain some insight into various CGC-related topics that are invaluable.

What sets them apart is their courtesy and genuine offers of advice without the biting sarcasm or snark that sometimes can come when a veteran answers questions that have been asked numerous times before. I've never had opportunity to deal with either one (as far as I know), but I do appreciate how they treat other board members, especially the newest ones.  Other forums can feel unwelcome at times because of treatment received. It seems like these two go out of their way to make sure the new folks stick around. So, from a 50+ "noob," THANKS!

Well said :headbang:

Helpful boys they be.

@revat @Bomber-Bob

3 hours ago, revat said:

When I first read this I wasn’t sure if it was sarcasm or not.  I try to be helpful to people who ask good and genuine questions, but I’m super condescending when I think people aren’t asking in good faith or just come in and expect other people to do their work for them.

depending on which of my comments someone has read, they might thank me genuinely or sarcastically.

either way, be excellent to one another. 

One second while I start "a little @revat 'APPRECIATION' thread /s"  :nyah:

15 hours ago, revat said:

When I first read this I wasn’t sure if it was sarcasm or not.  I try to be helpful to people who ask good and genuine questions, but I’m super condescending when I think people aren’t asking in good faith or just come in and expect other people to do their work for them.

depending on which of my comments someone has read, they might thank me genuinely or sarcastically.

No sarcasm whatsoever.  I don't really care if there's an occasional smart aleck comment, especially in threads where the veterans here congregate. Some of you know each other in real life or have developed a chidingly antagonistic relationship on the boards. Those threads are fun to read too.  I just wanted to commend you both for reigning it in when others are asking for help or advice in the newbie threads.

1 hour ago, celluloidbuff said:

No sarcasm whatsoever.  I don't really care if there's an occasional smart aleck comment, especially in threads where the veterans here congregate. Some of you know each other in real life or have developed a chidingly antagonistic relationship on the boards. Those threads are fun to read too.  I just wanted to commend you both for reigning it in when others are asking for help or advice in the newbie threads.

Thank you, much appreciated !

18 hours ago, revat said:

If I had a fiver for every time I'd helped a newcomer I'd have £500. 

If I had a fiver for every time they responded, I'd have a tenner.

Just now, Get Marwood & I said:

If I had a fiver for every time I'd helped a newcomer I'd have £500. 

If I had a fiver for every time they responded, I'd have a tenner.

do British people say 'tenner' or is that a personal colloquialism?  does it stop at 10 or can I have a 'twelver'?

Just now, revat said:

do British people say 'tenner' or is that a personal colloquialism?  does it stop at 10 or can I have a 'twelver'?

Fiver, tenner, pony, monkey, Alan Whicker. We've got all the words. No buck and a haff though I have to say. And I do like 'would you accept three bills'. I got that off of American Pickers. 

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Fiver, tenner, pony, monkey, Alan Whicker. We've got all the words. No buck and a haff though I have to say. And I do like 'would you accept three bills'. I got that off of American Pickers. 

What's an Alan Whicker?

And here I thought "loonies" and "twoonies" were funny enough.

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

What's an Alan Whicker?

And here I thought "loonies" and "twoonies" were funny enough.

Alan Whicker = nicker

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Come to think of it, is American Pickers called American Pickers in America? Or just 'Pickers'?

3 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Come to think of it, is American Pickers called American Pickers in America? Or just 'Pickers'?

It's still called American Pickers.  I actually had the same question when I went to Thailand and ordered a Thai Iced Tea.  I stopped and looked at the waitress and just asked "or do you just call it iced tea here?"

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

It's still called American Pickers.  I actually had the same question when I went to Thailand and ordered a Thai Iced Tea.  I stopped and looked at the waitress and just asked "or do you just call it iced tea here?"

What did she say?

1 minute ago, Get Marwood & I said:
3 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

What did she say?

If I recall correctly, in English its actually 'Thai iced tea'.  If you were speaking actual "Thai", it might translate to something else, but for the purposes of English its Thai Iced Tea. 

Also of note, if you're an American who isn't from the South, your Thai Iced Tea in Thailand will almost certainly be too sweet.

2 minutes ago, revat said:

If I recall correctly, in English its actually 'Thai iced tea'.  If you were speaking actual "Thai", it might translate to something else, but for the purposes of English its Thai Iced Tea. 

Also of note, if you're an American who isn't from the South, your Thai Iced Tea in Thailand will almost certainly be too sweet.

We have a habit of abbreviating over time so it would probably become 'Thicetea'. 

"Mmm. This thicetea is tasty".

Talking of no responses, I never found out if it was the right Start Trek book here:

Blurry annoying, if you're from Thailand.