• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-man vs. Venom 1990 TPB price variant?

25 posts in this topic

Okay, so I just picked up a Spiderman vs. Venom tpb from 1990, reprinting ASM 298-300, 315-317. The interior states that is a first print from 1990, and the cover price is $15.95. I've tried to look this up, but between eBay, MCS, and Comicbookrealm all I can find info on are versions with 8, 9, and 12 dollar cover prices, with some being indicated as later printings. I've got some pics I'll edit into my main post, but does anyone know what exact printing or edition this is? I can't find any information or sales data on this particular  cover price.

0FA65836-A2B3-40FA-AE3A-AB0F1223E319.jpeg

C7968432-773D-448B-8277-485CD8B9F555.jpeg

5D41D964-4E9F-4C14-8469-0A0F10828DB6.jpeg

Edited by BishopT

That bottom line of the indicia

10    9    8

...would normally indicate 8th printing.  Having "First Printing 1990." printed above it is confusing, but maybe they reprinted the original exactly and added the 10   9   8.

Last number 8 on UPC as well as the 10 9 8 is a dead giveaway......8th printing. 

Plus the fact that it has 1992 in the copyright date tells you it couldn't be a first print from 1990.

Plus the fact that the first print had an $8.95 cover price (no regular trades were $16 in 1990). 

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

That bottom line of the indicia

10    9    8

...would normally indicate 8th printing.  Having "First Printing 1990." printed above it is confusing, but maybe they reprinted the original exactly and added the 10   9   8.

You may be on to something. Going back and looking at the CBR listing, the C variant lists the $12.95 cover price as being the 7th print. For reassurance I'd like to see what the indicia of the 7th print looks like.

Edit: okay guys, looks like you figured it out for me. I never really got into trade collecting, so all of this is new to me. Thanks!

Edited by BishopT

33 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Having "First Printing 1990." printed above it is confusing, but maybe they reprinted the original exactly

No, they just completely messed up.

471.thumb.jpg.a1a334ab051ba14b4b34190779fba832.jpg

7 minutes ago, divad said:

Oh, and they didn't mess up, "First Printing 1990" is a fact. It doesn't indicate that THIS is a 1st printing.

While that's true, it's very unusual to appear like that. The copyright date for the compilation already provides the date for the first printing.

25 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

While that's true, it's very unusual to appear like that. The copyright date for the compilation already provides the date for the first printing.

It also indicates that this printing can be no earlier than 1992. :hi:

23 minutes ago, BishopT said:

So, is this a rare printing? I see no sales data of this version anywhere.

Unless there is a change in content or book construction, various editions hold no difference in value/colllectibility...

I'm trying to think of any contrary  example and I can't come up with one.

9 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Unless there is a change in content or book construction, various editions hold no difference in value/colllectibility...

True, there are at least that many printings of The Killing Joke, many of which are CGC slabbed, and none of the later printings have a value that would be associated with how "rare" they are compared to the original.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:
10 hours ago, miraclemet said:

True, there are at least that many printings of The Killing Joke, many of which are CGC slabbed, and none of the later printings have a value that would be associated with how "rare" they are compared to the original.

Though none of that automatically precludes this printing from being 'rare'.  It may very well be very rare, or extraordinarily so.  But as stated that doesn't necessarily correlate with value/collectability.  But if you can find the right completionist (or preferably 2-3), market it correctly and start a bidding war....who knows.

1 hour ago, revat said:

Though none of that automatically precludes this printing from being 'rare'.  It may very well be very rare, or extraordinarily so.  But as stated that doesn't necessarily correlate with value/collectability.  But if you can find the right completionist (or preferably 2-3), market it correctly and start a bidding war....who knows.

Yep, Man of Steel #18 found a small following for 4th and 5th printings, and that was all it took.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Yep, Man of Steel #18 found a small following for 4th and 5th printings, and that was all it took.

while we have seen this occur with a few comics, it has not happened with a tpb to date...

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Try finding the 14th print of Killing Joke, which is the final printing of the original prestige format comic before it went into hardcover. The 14th print is extremely rare and it took me years to put a copy into my collection. When I sold it, I got a very high ROI. I've been told that it may have had a print run in the 100s, as it came packaged with a direct market KJ toy set.

Edited by Michael Browning

11 hours ago, Michael Browning said:
23 hours ago, valiantman said:

Try finding the 14th print of Killing Joke, which is the final printing of the original prestige format comic before it went into hardcover. The 14th print is extremely rare and it took me years to put a copy into my collection. When I sold it, I got a very high ROI. I've been told that it may have had a print run in the 100s, as it came packaged with a direct market KJ toy set.

Alrightythen... so, @BishopT - if it can be determined that someone is actively searching for the 8th printing of the TPB, you might get yourself a very high ROI.  :wink:

Edited by valiantman

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

Alrightythen... so, @BishopT - if it can be determined that someone is actively searching for the 8th printing of the TPB, you might get yourself a very high ROI.  :wink:

Some of the printings are very limited, but they have kept it in print - in one form or another - since it was first published. But, that last printing and even the 13th is hard to find. Here's a note on the 14th printing: It has the new DC logo and an ad on the back cover.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:23 PM, Michael Browning said:

You were told wrong. The 14th printing is very tough to find, but it did not have a print run "in the 100s."

3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You were told wrong. The 14th printing is very tough to find, but it did not have a print run "in the 100s."

I'd like to know how YOU so quickly came by this DEFINITE print run information? I worked on a set of these for years and know for a fact that the 14th print was the hardest to find and had the lowest print run.

Edited by Michael Browning