• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicSupply Grading Contest Round 1

179 posts in this topic

I'm trying to figure out why 4 people gave it 9.4 or higher. 9.2 I could maybe understand. Maybe those 4 need new computer monitors. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

27_laughing.gif we need to pay much more attention to things like top back cover cornerfolds is what we need smile.gif

Plus, I am blind.

What the 893censored-thumb.gif made this an 8.0?? confused-smiley-013.gif

Only thing I saw on it was the slightly rounded corners! tonofbricks.gif

Cornerfold top back cover. gossip.gif

Yep..and not even mentioned in the grader notes. confused-smiley-013.gif I figured it was dirt/ink smear or such. Called it an 9.4 cause the only defects I went with were the soft corners. boo.gif

Yep..and not even mentioned in the grader notes. confused-smiley-013.gif I figured it was dirt/ink smear or such. Called it an 9.4 cause the only defects I went with were the soft corners. boo.gif

Glad I wasnt the only one... juggle.gif

#49 8.5 LOSERS BRACKET

#50 8.0 STAYS IN WINNER

Damn! Congrats on nailing it Toro! That was a tough one.

Thanks, I had no confidence in my grade and since I usually undergrade I almost put in 8.5, which would have kept you in. Sorry about not sticking with my usual pattern. Good luck in the other bracket, I'll be there soon enough.

Thought that was just a shadow!! foreheadslap.gif

I have been trying to do this without the twenty questions (and look at what it got me last contest!)...but now anything I suspect will be questioned!

CGC hates creases to pieces! 893naughty-thumb.gif

So what happens to those who tied?

Ya know, just a thought... this format is vulnerable to collusion by players to ensure that they always stay in the winners bracket... so long as the two players agree to submit the same grade, they are assured of a tie and no demotion to the losers bracket. Not me though, my hater grade beat my overgrading opponent fair and square! poke2.gif Take that, wasonff! stooges.gif

Of course, that assumes that there is honor among thieves and that one player wouldn't agree to submit a certain grade, only to actually submit a grade that they think is closer to being the CGC grade... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifdevil.gif

Just something to keep in mind -- you may want to scramble opponents so you don't end up with consecutive head-to-head pairings of the same two players, although that's still no guarantee.

You have to remember, that in the end it won't matter. Because there is no way a winner would ever emerge if the grades were the same. And if that happened, I would just give 2 different books to those left. I don't forsee it happening, but a good point indeed.

Well, if two players ensured they stayed in the winners bracket until everyone else had dropped into the losers bracket, then they could stop colluding and have a 50/50 shot at the so-called "winner" spot. 893naughty-thumb.gif

It would be a stretch to make it work for more than a round or two, especially if, like I suggest, you scramble things a little to avoid consecutive head-to-head pairings. Keep that in mind if you want to minimize the possibility.

Of course, no scrambling means there's little chance I'd ever have to go head-to-head with folks at the start of the alphabet, like Arty, so maybe forget I said anything. 27_laughing.gif

I thought that it was terrible that I had to go up against you again. You knocked me out of the last head-to-head contest. I was sure I was headed out again. Was the other contest alphabetical as well? One of us has to change our name. My new one will be redhoop. Oh, maybe not...

Dan

You have to remember, that in the end it won't matter. Because there is no way a winner would ever emerge if the grades were the same.

Sure, but that is exactly like Survivor, where it give the two remaining players a 50/50 shot at winning. That's a whole lot better than they have now playing fair.

But again, it's just a game and I suppose some people will always try to cheat.

You have to remember, that in the end it won't matter. Because there is no way a winner would ever emerge if the grades were the same.

Sure, but that is exactly like Survivor, where it give the two remaining players a 50/50 shot at winning. That's a whole lot better than they have now playing fair.

But again, it's just a game and I suppose some people will always try to cheat.

Sorry I can't believe anybody would cheat. So I guess I'm an optimist. Anybody emails me and requests equal guess so both anvance and I blow the whistle. Ya I guess I'm a snitch as well. sumo.gif27_laughing.gif