• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help needed to identify a comic
1 1

5 posts in this topic

The University of Washington has been holding an archaoelogical field school in Grand Ronde the past few years and have been investigating the old BIA school among other places.   This article i am linking to describes a comic book piece that was found in the school's privy.   If any of you recognize the character, or even better, the book that it came from, they would appreciate the help.    Thanks in advance!

https://blogs.uw.edu/gonzalsa/2018/04/03/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-a-comic-book-exploring-popular-culture-at-grand-ronde/

18 minutes ago, Talapas1 said:

The University of Washington has been holding an archaoelogical field school in Grand Ronde the past few years and have been investigating the old BIA school among other places.   This article i am linking to describes a comic book piece that was found in the school's privy.   If any of you recognize the character, or even better, the book that it came from, they would appreciate the help.    Thanks in advance!

https://blogs.uw.edu/gonzalsa/2018/04/03/its-a-bird-its-a-plane-its-a-comic-book-exploring-popular-culture-at-grand-ronde/

If someone can do it, it would be someone on this board.  But, my guess is you'll need to go all "Dead Sea Scrolls scholar" and separate the layers to get more imagery before anyone can give you help.  To my eyes, it looks like a circa mid-30s to 40s western or adventure character (think Roy Crane's Capt. Easy or Wash Tubbs who often wore shirts without collars and appeared in comics starting in the mid-30s).  But, that's a shot in the dark given the paucity of information.

On 8/8/2018 at 4:32 PM, sfcityduck said:

If someone can do it, it would be someone on this board.  But, my guess is you'll need to go all "Dead Sea Scrolls scholar" and separate the layers to get more imagery before anyone can give you help.  To my eyes, it looks like a circa mid-30s to 40s western or adventure character (think Roy Crane's Capt. Easy or Wash Tubbs who often wore shirts without collars and appeared in comics starting in the mid-30s).  But, that's a shot in the dark given the paucity of information.

Thank you.  I passed this onto the students and we will see where they lead.  They are still trying to get more images off of the sample, so if any become available, I will share them.