• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 173 Blue Cover?

17 posts in this topic

I don't believe so, as the rest of the comic looks identical, and if there was a lack of color or ink, it is usually reflected in more than just a black-to-blue background shift.

The blacks in the other areas look the same between editions, and maybe it was just an early test run, them it shifted to Black for the coolness effect? Or it was printed in different areas using two different specs?

Could the blue version just be a printing error?

That's what I was thinking...kind of like the Fantastic Four book that has that awful printing defect....#110 I think???

Actually Wizard breaks them out as:

173A: $5

173B - Blue Cover: $10

And while I don't usually give Wizard too much credit, when it comes to 1980's comics, they do have a better view of what's going on at street level than OS.

I don't know anything about the printing process but the X-men 173 blue seems to be a matter of shade or contrast....

Could it be that the printers decided to either lighten up the color of the book or darken the color of the book...depending on which version was printed first?

The colors do seem to be a differant shade throughout...(this is using your pics as referance though as I have never actually seen the book before now)...

Yeah, the colors in the two above pics are not comparable, and when two similar-condition books are viewed, Wolverine, Rogue and the title/price box are virtually identical. It's only the background that really changes, not the black inks or darker shades anywhere else.