• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book"
4 4

91 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

And I've never seen anybody ruin their life by collecting comics...

There have been documented cases here where boardies have gotten divorced over their collecting habits.

It's up to the people whether that's considered a bad or good thing.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've always thought travel was a waste of money, gone forever. While on vacation, I would think about the comics I could have bought with the money. As far as the recollection, it fades over time, especially the emotional feelings. AT some point, it's no different than the memory of a good movie.

I'll say this...I've never created any lasting memories with my wife buying a comic book lol

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

I'll say this...I've never created any lasting memories with my wife buying a comic book lol

But your wife goes with you to conventions, even the out of town ones. She even helps you, searching out 9.8's. You combine the wife experience with your comic collecting.

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

But your wife goes with you to conventions, even the out of town ones. She even helps you, searching out 9.8's. You combine the wife experience with your comic collecting.

But for her the pleasure is not the buying of the books, it's taking a break from the grind and especially getting to see and spend time with good friends. To be honest, that's my favorite part of those trips as well, the books are just a bonus.

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

It's impossible for me to imagine deriving more satisfaction out of owning a comic than drinking wine in Rome or Guiness in Dublin.

They couldnt pay me to go to some european city and sit around drinking wine and stuff.  That would bore me to vomit.

12 hours ago, Logan510 said:

I just find it a little silly that people feel the need to justify something they don’t need by citing its potential investment value, while putting down other things that people don’t need because they don’t have a monetary investment value.

This entire thread is in the context of laymen thinking how collectors spend their money is stupid.

The people saying "I can't believe you spent that much on a comic book" most likely spend their own money, possibly in large quantities, on fleeting intangibles and are stupid for questioning how others spend their money. The intelligent comic collector can sell their "ridiculously valued" comic for most of, all of, or more than what they paid and then spend the money on anything else, if they wish. Being collectors, they most likely don't wish to do so, but it's still an option.

20 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

There have been documented cases here where boardies have gotten divorced over their collecting habits.

I'm sorry to hear that...that's very unfortunate. I hope they were ultimately able to balance their collecting habits with their personal lives.

I was actually referring to a number of friends of mine that ruined their lives through excessive drug use, both legal and illegal. 

I could have ended up the same way, but comics took me in a different direction...

8 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm sorry to hear that...that's very unfortunate. I hope they were ultimately able to balance their collecting habits with their personal lives.

I was actually referring to a number of friends of mine that ruined their lives through excessive drug use, both legal and illegal. 

I could have ended up the same way, but comics took me in a different direction...

an early lesson i learned from comics as a teenager come from a FF issue , i think they were vs the impossible man and they couldn't defeat him because he had an answer and solution for everything...

finally Mr Fantastic found a way to defeat him and when asked how he did it he answered that his nemesis did not consider the " X Factor " the unknown,,,

i have always remembered that lesson in life and it has helped me ever since....

52 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

Collecting can give way to compulsion. I mean, wow, we've all seen images of the incredible mass of books, toys, trade paperbacks, comics, ephemera, and so on that some people amass.

Just now, DavidTheDavid said:

Collecting can give way to compulsion. I mean, wow, we've all seen images of the incredible mass of books, toys, trade paperbacks, comics, ephemera, and so on that some people amass.

A friend of mine used to have so much stuff in his apartment that you could barely walk through it all without stepping on it. You had to follow paths through the stacks of books, DVD's, newspapers, CD's, albums, etc. I could never live like that, but I have to confess that I loved going over there, in part because he had so much stuff.

His really good material was very organized (in boxes) but for some reason he just really enjoyed accumulating stuff. He was one of those guys that ended up divorced, too...but I never thought of him as someone who ruined his life...

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

Then you are not doing it right.:baiting:

My wife took me to San Diego Comic Con and gave me a choice between an Amazing Fantasy 15 or an All Select #1.  That is a memory that I cherish every time I look at my wife or the comic.

4 minutes ago, newshane said:

I have to agree, and I /LOVE/ comics.

But at the end of your life, all you have, really, is the sum total of your experiences and memory. What you own, at some point, becomes irrelevant.

My comics are cool, but at the end of my life, I will likely remember fishing trips with my grandpa, riding through the mountains on horseback with my wife, drinking beer while wading around in the Gulf of Mexico, white water rafting through the rivers of Colorado, performing music all over the country, holding my child for the first time, etc.

I have little to no desire to travel outside the country.  Going someplace where I do not speak the language, the Coke comes without ice, and the food is stuff I wouldn't pay for at home; well, no, just...no.  Still I do intend to go to the Galapagos Islands, and hopefully Africa, but that is because of the animals and not the people or food.  I have traveled extensively related to my work and studies, most recently India, but I would never go outside the country for any other reason.

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I've always thought travel was a waste of money, gone forever. While on vacation, I would think about the comics I could have bought with the money. As far as the recollection, it fades over time, especially the emotional feelings. AT some point, it's no different than the memory of a good movie.

What you can learn about new places and people can have a profound effect on you.  i was lucky to have traveled extensively as a child through my mid 20s, for extended periods, which has shaped who I am and how I see existence.  To each his own, though.  If the comics bring you joy and travel doesn't, I wish all the comics for you.  I'd trade a Tec 27 or Action 1 for a few years of living in Mauritius in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

I have little to no desire to travel outside the country.  Going someplace where I do not speak the language, the Coke comes without ice, and the food is stuff I wouldn't pay for at home; well, no, just...no.  Still I do intend to go to the Galapagos Islands, and hopefully Africa, but that is because of the animals and not the people or food.  I have traveled extensively related to my work and studies, most recently India, but I would never go outside the country for any other reason.

:whatthe: