• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please grade this Giant Size X-men 1 that I *accidentally* bought... (story inside)

22 posts in this topic

So I had been eyeing this book on ebay for a couple days, just too see how it would go.

It had a BIN price of $520 US (which works out to be roughly $700 Australian)

I noticed eBay had a 5% site wide discount so I went to see how much that would bring it down by - long story short I'd never entered a discount code before and messed up and just hit confirm and pay. 

I'm totally at fault here, but I thought I'd plead my case to the seller, to no avail (and to be fair, I don't blame him, it was my stupidity)

So now I'm the new owner of this Giant Size X-men 1 that was listed as a "Nice mid-grade copy" for a total price of $880 Australian including shipping and import charges.

I would love to know an actual rough grade if possible so I know if and by how much I have stitched myself up by.

(Excuse the images, this is just what the seller had listed)

TVPonbh.pngXZpJAWh.pngWz7qQqs.pngyRt4VJ2.pngMEO83xd.png

I'm thinking 4.0-4.5. Looks like a stain at the top of the back cover.  A few small tears.  There's a scratch or gouge on Collosus' head.

This comic is actually pretty hot right now.  GPA shows the last 7 4.0s sold for an average of US $603 

Edited by gadzukes

I'd agree with 4.0 (without better photos, not sure about 4.5). The staining would be the main concern. Both covers, and maybe even the last page, seem to have some faint stains. Plus some scattered rumples, tears and color loss.

Still, cool to own one and it seems to present pretty nice and bright for the grade.

The seller should have been more understanding. A happy customer who got away is better than an unhappy one who felt trapped. A negative feedback rating is in order here. I can’t believe he actually forced you to go through with the purchase, as any good seller understands this type of behavior is likely to end up with a return request, chargeback, or PayPal claim. He is lucky you are honest. If he did this to some people, he might get a return request and a quarter bin book back in return.

As for the book, I’ll go 4.5.

1 hour ago, Serpentor said:

The seller should have been more understanding. A happy customer who got away is better than an unhappy one who felt trapped. A negative feedback rating is in order here. I can’t believe he actually forced you to go through with the purchase, as any good seller understands this type of behavior is likely to end up with a return request, chargeback, or PayPal claim. He is lucky you are honest. If he did this to some people, he might get a return request and a quarter bin book back in return.

As for the book, I’ll go 4.5.

Yeah, I was a little bit salty, my fiance even more so (tsk)

But it was my stuff up at the end of the day, and I think he's within his rights to refuse the refund. 

Live and learn I guess

Okay, I dont think I over spent too much including shipping and import tax then...

If I were to have this book submitted for grading, would it be worth getting it pressed before hand. I know the term 'worth' is subjective in this regard, but would it have any impact on the grade at all? Paging @joeypost?

I know the pictures make it hard to judge, I'll upload some better ones as soon as it's in hand.

Thanks lads!

6 hours ago, SerialGrape said:

Okay, I dont think I over spent too much including shipping and import tax then...

If I were to have this book submitted for grading, would it be worth getting it pressed before hand. I know the term 'worth' is subjective in this regard, but would it have any impact on the grade at all? Paging @joeypost?

I know the pictures make it hard to judge, I'll upload some better ones as soon as it's in hand.

Thanks lads!

I'm sure you already know this, but Pressing doesn't take out stains, tears, or gouges.  I'm my opinion a press of this comic isn't going to help much. 

The good news is even though you kind of botched the purchase you still came away with a valuable comic that is trending upward in value.  A couple years from now your whole attitude about the purchase might change if the value continues to rise.  I overpaid for an AF15 about 5 years ago and I've been handsomely rewarded for my gaffe.

As a seller I'd always rather cancel a sale than have someone return a book due to buyer's remorse. On ebay there's not really anything you can do about the latter. On the other hand, 5%, even on a $500US book isn't so huge a discount that I would ask to cancel if I brainfarted and forgot to enter a discount code. 

It's tough to grade a book just from photos partially obscured by a flash, especially white cover books, but based on the stain, creasing, and tears that are visible, 4.0 is the best it's going to be. It could look closer to a 3.0 in hand. 

*UPDATE*

Picked the book up today from the post office and got to look at it in hand.

While it does feel nice to have such a massive key for my favorite series, it does fair a little bit worse (in my opinion) than the photos suggested; but I'm the farthest thing from an expert, so here are some better images for you to decide.

MKMaqdG.jpgK8bmYvB.jpgzoyotXk.jpg4PfPE8t.jpgp9CHEFI.jpgfsuR3Wk.jpgpwdldO5.jpg

6 hours ago, SerialGrape said:

*UPDATE*

Picked the book up today from the post office and got to look at it in hand.

While it does feel nice to have such a massive key for my favorite series, it does fair a little bit worse (in my opinion) than the photos suggested; but I'm the farthest thing from an expert, so here are some better images for you to decide.

Honestly, that looks very much how I expected. The rubbing wear and stains were visible in the photos on close inspection.

For what it's worth, I'm actually relieved for you that it's no worse. VG or thereabouts still seems right.

Did you buy the book while viewing it on your phone? (Which I don't mean in a snide way--I've done it many times, and learned that it's risky. Comic photos 'appear' crisp and bright on an iPhone screen, but can hide a lot of flaws when greatly reduced.)

14 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Honestly, that looks very much how I expected. The rubbing wear and stains were visible in the photos on close inspection.

For what it's worth, I'm actually relieved for you that it's no worse. VG or thereabouts still seems right.

Did you buy the book while viewing it on your phone? (Which I don't mean in a snide way--I've done it many times, and learned that it's risky. Comic photos 'appear' crisp and bright on an iPhone screen, but can hide a lot of flaws when greatly reduced.)

Yeah, I did.

I'll make note of that should I decide to buy any other books by accident lol

Good too know that it's not far off what was advetised - cheers for the help!