• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Honey Badger a big deal??

29 posts in this topic

I remember buying All-New Wolverine and the Deadpool series that was out about the same time.....I was going to try and read it all the way through, but they both seemed so boring....Wolverine less so though.

I remember going to Half Price Books to trade them in for credit, and the people back there saying, "Are you sure? It is the first Honey Badger... :wishluck: "..... idk why they took an interest though.

I was only on issue #6-7 in both titles, and I made my money back, that is all that I cared about at the time..... I did hit up LCS's looking for that B&W to All-New Wolverine #1 to no avail...

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

I'm saying speculation sites that are creating a horde of speculators who just march around trying to sell nothing special comics for the price of special comics are just like multi-level marketing schemes that only make money for the people at the top.  It's fine that a character has 45 appearances, but if the comic wasn't standing out in the market before the horde of speculators, it's a market built on sand.  Those speculators move on, and who's left holding the books?  Mary Kay is a good example of multi-level marketing, but a better metaphor for speculator websites is locusts.

It's one of my favorite Marvel series. I like the character.

There's my speculation.

I follow as many spec sites as I can find. When this book got hot, I did not see anyone pumping it up. If anyone has a link, a screenshot of an article or thread discussing this book PRIOR to it getting hot, that would be interesting to see. 

I picked up 30 copies from my LCS at cover when it was a $12 book. I later noticed there were very few copies available on ebay. Believe it not, there were only 2 or 3 at most. I was one of the first sellers to start getting a premium price for this book. After that, it went crazy for a couple weeks ($70-$80 raw NM-) and then settled down. 

People are quick to blame spec sites but that doesn't always explain every trend. Sometimes you have to actually read modern books to understand what's going on in the market. Movies are not everything.

Edited by Davidone

On 8/30/2018 at 8:20 PM, Davidone said:

I follow as many spec sites as I can find. When this book got hot, I did not see anyone pumping it up. If anyone has a link, a screenshot of an article or thread discussing this book PRIOR to it getting hot, that would be interesting to see. 

I picked up 30 copies from my LCS at cover when it was a $12 book. I later noticed there were very few copies available on ebay. Believe it not, there were only 2 or 3 at most. I was one of the first sellers to start getting a premium price for this book. After that, it went crazy for a couple weeks ($70-$80 raw NM-) and then settled down. 

People are quick to blame spec sites but that doesn't always explain every trend. Sometimes you have to actually read modern books to understand what's going on in the market. Movies are not everything.

So:

a.) "I follow as many spec sites as I can find.... I bought 30 copies of a book"  

b.)  ....dont blame speculators/spec sites

K, got it.

I subscribed to and read the book when it came out ("Sometimes you have to actually read modern books to understand what's going on in the market"), and picked up a couple extra because i knew the speculator horde would eventually descend on the book.

It's very amusing the hoops some sites and people will go through to not call a spade a spade.

The Honey Badger character was much better in the original series she launched in, for the record.  As time went on,she became a bit of a caricature of herself.  She's an SJW dream though, so I am sure she will continue to get lots of books, and future play in multimedia spin offs (games or tv/movies).

Edited by CBT

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:20 PM, Davidone said:

I understand your point, but speculators don't read comics. That's become apparent the last few years. They rely on spec sites to tell them. 

At least cover collectors appreciate the art. As someone already said many of these books are built on sand. When 80-90% of collectors
don't care about a book that's a bad sign. Hopefully animation and movies will help save them because circulation numbers didn't.

There were 2 FN copies online and 0 NM. That's it. THAT was the catalyst. There was a supply shortage. I posted 1 for $30, sold. I posted 1 for $40, sold. I posted 1 for $80, sold.... the rest exploded from there. Seems to me that's how capitalism and the market is suppose to work naturally. 

I don't know if this fits into your spade calling philosophy but whatever... it is what it is. 

16 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I understand your point, but speculators don't read comics. That's become apparent the last few years. They rely on spec sites to tell them. 

At least cover collectors appreciate the art. As someone already said many of these books are built on sand. When 80-90% of collectors
don't care about a book that's a bad sign. Hopefully animation and movies will help save them because circulation numbers didn't.

I'm a speculator. I read comics. 

Many specs are built on sand. This one is more solid than most, in my opinion. I sold enough copies to pay off what I put into it. I'm holding the rest. We'll see how it works out. 

X23 is popular with older readers but she's too violent for a younger crowd. Honey Badger seems to fit perfectly with where Disney is going in animation and other children's media. We also don't know the numbers on digital sales. That may be where her fans are hiding.

Edited by Davidone

18 hours ago, CBT said:

So:

a.) "I follow as many spec sites as I can find.... I bought 30 copies of a book"  

b.)  ....dont blame speculators/spec sites

K, got it.

I subscribed to and read the book when it came out ("Sometimes you have to actually read modern books to understand what's going on in the market"), and picked up a couple extra because i knew the speculator horde would eventually descend on the book.

It's very amusing the hoops some sites and people will go through to not call a spade a spade.

The Honey Badger character was much better in the original series she launched in, for the record.  As time went on,she became a bit of a caricature of herself.  She's an SJW dream though, so I am sure she will continue to get lots of books, and future play in multimedia spin offs (games or tv/movies).

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish with 1 & 2 there.