• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Silver Age JLA #17

12 posts in this topic

Later tonight I'll post some details about the Charlotte Heroes Con, but among the highlights for me was my first CGC submission. I cashed in a couple of coupons won in the long-forgotten Comic Quest trivia contest (sigh). Anyway, I picked the following book as one of my first submissions. How bad do you think I'll be nailed for the top edge, and the two bottom corners on the back cover?

jla17.jpg

jla17bc.jpg

i'm gonna start sounding like a broken record, but DC's of this era in particular are graded very harshly. i had books that were "way more" nicer than this (and with a few notable exceptions this is quite lovely) come back no higher than 8.0.

a few board members debated whether my bats 156 would grade out at 9.0 or 9.2 and it got an 8.0 for almost precisely that kind of FC upper edge crease. combined with the few small spine nicks and the missing piece off the LLC BC, i'm thinking about a 7.0.............(but i hope it does better.......... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Fair enough! As I was going through my candidates for submission, I had your recent experience with the Sid's books in mind. I'm happy to temper my expectations while waiting for that round trip excursion to Sarasota. thumbsup2.gif

Although if it gets a 7.0 or below, I might well post one of those messages exhibiting an embarrassing-lack-of-self-control! 27_laughing.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Thanks Arex! It is a purdy 7.5, if I do say so.

Hope to see you at Heroes next year. Should be a killer guest list.

How are things over in the Piedmont? I lived in Hickory for a few years in the mid-1980s! yay.gif