• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Was this a good deal?

36 posts in this topic

This is the most I have ever spent on a single issue in my life, and the decision was not made without some trepidation. I LOVE this cover and I have always wanted a nice, presentable copy with bright colors. The grading seems accurate, tending towards the conservative, and the auction ended at ~40% off OS guide with me being the only bidder. I am not worried about the slight soiling, the Wonderbread will be out as soon as it comes in the mail. wink.gif Any opinions on the book and price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32746&item=6540994385&rd=1

This is the most I have ever spent on a single issue in my life, and the decision was not made without some trepidation. I LOVE this cover and I have always wanted a nice, presentable copy with bright colors. The grading seems accurate, tending towards the conservative, and the auction ended at ~40% off OS guide with me being the only bidder. I am not worried about the slight soiling, the Wonderbread will be out as soon as it comes in the mail. wink.gif Any opinions on the book and price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32746&item=6540994385&rd=1

Use white art eraser, not Wonder Bread. poke2.gif

Nice book, even if you way overpaid for it. poke2.gifpoke2.gif

On a more serious note, congrats Andy. cloud9.gif I don't own a copy of that book, but I need to get one. The grade looks about right and you paid less than guide for it even with shipping. Well done. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I concur with FFB, very good presentation for that book. Spine is nice and square with good wrap on the cover. The soiling in the bottom and the bent brc does not detract from the overall apperance of the book at all. Congrats.

unless that spine split on the bottom left grows during shipment to you, you've done fine

probably not a big worry since it's a squarebound. interesting that the seller graded it a Fine/Veryfine+ (that's a spread of 6 grades). i guess as long as it would grade a fine, he's covered and he still got to throw the words Very fine+ in there.............. grin.gif

nice looking copy, btw........ thumbsup2.gif

Nice grade maybe a 8.0 possibly an 8.5 I couldn't see the spine split. and FFB's suggestion to use white art eraser is valid but use wonderbread first this take eraser shards from a white art eraser and a sock then rubb the cover gentle to remove any further debris or dust

it has the same sort of corner damage that oh so many of these square bounds have that I wonder if CGC even deducts much for it. my SS #4 has the same thing (although a little worse).

based on my slabs, i don't see that getting an 8.0, but a 6.0 to 6.5 is probably safe.

Man! You're a real high-roller, aren't you! 27_laughing.gifpoke2.gif

stooges.gif

Looks like a nice FN, FN+ depending on the back cover??? You better be real careful using anything to clean that FC - there are a lot of solid, dark inks there -- one slip will be grossly apparent. sumo.gif

I do not recommend cleaning the FC at all . . . now the BC is a different story, being predominately white, with very little solid color. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

Looks like a nice FN, FN+ depending on the back cover??? You better be real careful using anything to clean that FC - there are a lot of solid, dark inks there -- one slip will be grossly apparent. sumo.gif

I do not recommend cleaning the FC at all . . . now the BC is a different story, being predominately white, with very little solid color. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep, Geppi better watch out! tongue.gif

As far as cleaning goes, Wonderbread doesn't smear the inks at all. Have you ever used it? All is does is remove surface dirt. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the input everyone. The guy lives in the Chicagoland area, so I should get it soon. I will post it in the grading forum and see what everyone thinks. If the grade isn't legit I figure I can always drive to his house and jump him with a bicycle chain when he comes home from work. confused-smiley-013.gif

stooges.gif

As far as cleaning goes, Wonderbread doesn't smear the inks at all. Have you ever used it? All is does is remove surface dirt. confused-smiley-013.gif

True, but it can promote mold growth if you live in a humid climate.

stooges.gif

Uh, that would be "bread mold" insane.gif No, I haven't tried bread. Does it affect the gloss at all? Does it leave any residue?

stooges.gif

Uh, that would be "bread mold" insane.gif No, I haven't tried bread. Does it affect the gloss at all? Does it leave any residue?

Nope. I have used it a few times, very carefully, while paying attention to color and gloss. Neither was affected. If you use pencil eraser, the gloss IS affected, which is why I only used that method once. Wonderbread really does work, and I have not detected any change in the comic other than the soiling removal.

stooges.gif

Nope. I have used it a few times, very carefully, while paying attention to color and gloss. Neither was affected. If you use pencil eraser, the gloss IS affected, which is why I only used that method once. Wonderbread really does work, and I have not detected any change in the comic other than the soiling removal.

Wonder Bread is made with soybean oil. Whether you realize it or not, you are leaving a residue behind.

stooges.gif

Wonder Bread is made with soybean oil. Whether you realize it or not, you are leaving a residue behind.

Well, I didn't have my microscope or chemical analysis kit handy, so I was speaking purely of residue seen by the naked eye. tongue.gifpoke2.gif

If you use pencil eraser, the gloss IS affected, which is why I only used that method once.

You don't use pencil eraser 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif

That's a sure-fire error . . .

I know that....now. tongue.gif Like I said, only used it once. foreheadslap.gif Maybe I will try the white art erasers. Any specific brand?

If you use pencil eraser, the gloss IS affected, which is why I only used that method once.

You don't use pencil eraser 893whatthe.gifmakepoint.gif

That's a sure-fire error . . .

I know that....now. tongue.gif Like I said, only used it once. foreheadslap.gif Maybe I will try the white art erasers. Any specific brand?

Current discussion hi.gif