• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buying blue 9.8 and opening for signature
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I’m new to the CGC/SS board and wanted to see if I can get some feed back on the following scenario. 

I saw a upcoming limited set of a Virgin Wolverine cover I’d like to buy and have signed for CGC/SS and hope to get back a 9.8 grade. 

It’s hard to tell if buying a regular version will guarantee that 9.8 and my only other option is to buy a blue 9.8 and see what you guys think about cracking it open one day to get signed and sent to CGC for the yellow 9.8 card. Has anyone done this?

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Gotham227 said:

Hello,

I’m new to the CGC/SS board and wanted to see if I can get some feed back on the following scenario. 

I saw a upcoming limited set of a Virgin Wolverine cover I’d like to buy and have signed for CGC/SS and hope to get back a 9.8 grade. 

It’s hard to tell if buying a regular version will guarantee that 9.8 and my only other option is to buy a blue 9.8 and see what you guys think about cracking it open one day to get signed and sent to CGC for the yellow 9.8 card. Has anyone done this?

Thanks. 

I've done it a few times.  The book usually retains the grade, but not always. Had just one come back a 9.6 after signing (of about 20 submissions I've done this way) and can't really see any significant flaws, so I'm thinking about pressing and resubmitting that one. 

My secret is using some of the fabulous facilitators on these boards to get sigs on books for shows I'm unable to personally attend.  They all definitely know how to handle your books with care, they're pros when it comes to the paperwork, and very reasonable fees (MUCH cheaper than doing the full boat yourself, with con tickets, hotel, travel, food, etc.).

29 minutes ago, celluloidbuff said:

I've done it a few times.  The book usually retains the grade, but not always. Had just one come back a 9.6 after signing (of about 20 submissions I've done this way) and can't really see any significant flaws, so I'm thinking about pressing and resubmitting that one. 

My secret is using some of the fabulous facilitators on these boards to get sigs on books for shows I'm unable to personally attend.  They all definitely know how to handle your books with care, they're pros when it comes to the paperwork, and very reasonable fees (MUCH cheaper than doing the full boat yourself, with con tickets, hotel, travel, food, etc.).

Thank you. I really appreciate the information. Where can I find these facilitators? Is there a services link? Would I be responsible for opening the blue 9.8 or would I send it sealed to the facilitator? 

but more generally, there's a signuature room subforum where you can find more information about signature stuff, including facilitators, though you may have to dig around a bit.

On 8/20/2018 at 8:49 AM, celluloidbuff said:

Do u know any facilitators that will b at rose city beginning of next month? I know off topic but looking for help 

Also I to have cracked several 9.8 blue labels for signing, when I turn them back in I put the blue label in the bag with the book, just kinda saying hey this thing was/is a 9.8, not sure if that matters but I think all have came back a 9.8 even a few that i thought were 9.6 condition even though I got them blue labeled as a 9.8. I have almost all the Star Wars action figure variants signed by the actors that played them graded 9.8, but I will pick up 15/30 raw books and only send out the super nice ones

14 hours ago, Nickbandit1977 said:

Also I to have cracked several 9.8 blue labels for signing, when I turn them back in I put the blue label in the bag with the book, just kinda saying hey this thing was/is a 9.8, not sure if that matters but I think all have came back a 9.8 even a few that i thought were 9.6 condition even though I got them blue labeled as a 9.8. I have almost all the Star Wars action figure variants signed by the actors that played them graded 9.8, but I will pick up 15/30 raw books and only send out the super nice ones

BUT THEY WILL REGRADE THE BOOK IF YOU RESUBMIT.  So including your old blue label is only for the purpose of CGC administration taking that certification # out of circulation.  So IF you think a book might drop a grade, you should probably not crack them out (assuming you care about grades or value).  At that point you're almost certainly better off just selling your blue label and buying a yellow label off of ebay.

Ya, usually I try not to but there have been a few books I bought 9.8 blue label, cracked, had signed and regarded yellow labels. I include the blue label to show that it is hopefully still is a 9.8 since it was originally and so that they can remove it from the database. I mainly do it with books when there is not enough time before the show to pick up a lot and go through hoping for some to be NM/M or it is an expensive like the boba fett action figure variants where the raw book is at least $65 and a cgc blue 98 can be picked up for $100