• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Dealer Dies - What Typically Happens to the Books?
1 1

61 posts in this topic

Not sure if this was discussed but if you're setting up your will and the beneficiary doesn't know about your collectibles value you can always set up an executor, who's different than the beneficiary, who will be assigned to handle the sale of such items. The executor could be anyone as long as they agree to handle such a task as they are not receiving the assets. Executors usually get paid 4-5% of assets worth if I'm not mistaken 

11 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I don't know how you guys do it-- hundreds of long boxes-- so many comics. You guys are the backbone of the hobby in many respects.

I don't even have 2000 books and I feel that is too much.

We had so much stored in Artboy's condo the floor was sagging. 

While we could get rid of it we often get requests for books at shows that we have in storage and I have a couple guys who come by regularly and purchase stacks of stuff.   Plus, every time some CA to MA book or title gets hot like Infinity Crusade I can dig it out of my basement.  

20 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

What if lightning strikes your grave and you're reanimated as a zombie though? Or a zombuzz. You'd still be able to read and everything, and might want them books back. You need to cover all bases Buzz. These off the cuff remarks and actions could leave you one sorry undead collector one day if you're not careful. 

I was being serious.   I can assure you that in your final thoughts or what you believe to be your final thoughts, the last thing that goes through your mind is, "What will become of my copy of ...?"

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I was being serious.   I can assure you that in your final thoughts or what you believe to be your final thoughts, the last thing that goes through your mind is, "What will become of my copy of ...?"

I know. I was just mucking about. Zombuzz was quite good though, I thought.  

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So that would be your last/final thought? :baiting:

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So that would be your last/final thought? 

I wish I'd turned the gas off. 

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I knew I shouldn't have agreed to meet in this car park.  

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I knew I should've just agreed with RMA on the definition of a collector.

skeleton-computer.jpg.39b9461d5700e0b7a13ca3186a6bf8c5.jpg

Yeah-- I'm doubting that is the most important thing anyone is thinking about. Some people are dying to know though.

58 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:
4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Yeah-- I'm doubting that is the most important thing anyone is thinking about. Some people are dying to know though.

So, can you give it a try and report back to us on what you finals thoughts were, and if it was a comic book, exactly which comic book it was?  hm

Let's hope it's not a Spawn 1 because that book is definitely not worth dying for.  lol  

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

So, can you give it a try and report back to us on what you finals thoughts were, and if it was a comic book, exactly which comic book it was?  hm

Let's hope it's not a Spawn 1 because that book is definitely not worth dying for.  lol  

No

OMG, you are back from your near death experience so soon!  :whatthe:  

NO, in the sense that it was not a Spawn 1, but rather a Youngblood 1?  hm

I am just glad you made it back to the land of the living because that book is not worth dying for either.  lol

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

I am just glad you made it back to the land of the living because that book is not worth dying for either.  lol

your turn

1 minute ago, 01TheDude said:
3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

your turn

No, I am afraid I will have to take a pass on that. :frown:

Those moments are only reserved for Special board members like you. (thumbsu

6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

That would be between myself and whoever if anyone or thing is listening. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:
6 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

That would be between myself and whoever if anyone or thing is listening.

Well, apparently everybody missed the joke. :flamed:

I assume, based on your earlier post, that you meant what will happen to your comics would be the furthest thing from your mind in the moment(s) before death, rather than the last thing that goes through your mind before you die.

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Well, apparently everybody missed the joke. :flamed:

Jokes are supposed to be funny.

:whistle:

(It IS a fascinating double entendre, with both a literal and figurative meaning the exact opposite of each other. It's an unusual one, and no doubt entirely unintended.)

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

Before I moved to China, I reached out to three different dealers that I trusted and made arrangements that if I died in China (which I figured was 15x more likely than dying during the same time period in the US) my family/heirs could reach out to them for assistance in getting fair value out of the books I was leaving in America. I wanted my dealer friends to make an appropriate profit for their involvement, but didn't want my heirs to get 1/10th of wholesale value because they just didn't know what to do.

Prior to that, I have always ensured that my family has known how to contact at least two different dealers I trust completely, to get advice/assistance in liquidating the material.

We all make dealer friends in this hobby/industry. It's worth setting something up, even if it's just having someone willing to triage and say "this is stuff you should bulk out at a dime a book, this is stuff you should sell for 20% of current retail, this is stuff you should send to MyComicShop and have them sell it for you, this one box is stuff you should send to ComicLink for auction, etc". The actual liquidation isn't the hard part. The triage is the hard part...