• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine Limited 1

14 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Cocomonkey said:

Looks pretty nice to me. 9.4-9.6? Dunno.

Just to point out, though, this isn't the Wolverine Limited Series #1, it's the #1 of the monthly series that follows the LS.

Oh ok....that must be why I got 14 of them for $100.  I now see that this is 1988.  The limited was 1982 right?  I need to read comic book collecting for dummies!  Thanks coco

21 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

This book in 9.8 sells for about $175 to $200 even more in SS. 9.6 and you'll get about 1/2 of the 9.8   

Thank you. I saw that and was surprised by the run up in prices.  Then again, I see that my hulk 181 is up over $8000 now.  I thought about listing it but decided to hold  Would you invest in grading these?

I personally would only submit the books with a chance at 9.8 but would be content if any came back at 9.6   any 9.4s or lower IMO wouldn't be worth it. Again this is my opinion. This book with the black back cover is infamous for getting fingerprints. I made the mistake of mishandling a copy of this book and the fingerprints never came off. I would carefully examine every issue for any defects. Look closely at the spine for tick marks that break color. Any books that have impact marks or corner dings are gonna come back too low. So much to look for some times its easiest to just scan the books and ask the CGC audience. 

19 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I personally would only submit the books with a chance at 9.8 but would be content if any came back at 9.6   any 9.4s or lower IMO wouldn't be worth it. Again this is my opinion. This book with the black back cover is infamous for getting fingerprints. I made the mistake of mishandling a copy of this book and the fingerprints never came off. I would carefully examine every issue for any defects. Look closely at the spine for tick marks that break color. Any books that have impact marks or corner dings are gonna come back too low. So much to look for some times its easiest to just scan the books and ask the CGC audience. 

Yeah it seems difficult to justify the extra expense at 9.2/9.4 prices.  And if history is any indication, I am no better at grading comics than I am guessing PSA grading for my cards!  Thank you

8 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Check right at the level of the yellow arrows. I'm fairly certain that's black color touch on fractures thus the slight mismatch of color and sheen.

082218_Wolv1.jpg

Thanks for taking a close look at this, James.  Since I have a bunch of these, I tried comparing the original book to a second in the specific spot that you highlighted.  Three possibilities:

1. You have an eye like an Eagle

2. I am as blind as a bat 

3. My photos were misleading

I’d lean toward the second option although given what I paid a few years ago, I would be surprised if someone touched them up.77B8DFEA-7104-4E11-B3BA-A0A5C0676A16.thumb.jpeg.8b2bf66f4f2d957c0327ac880b967c43.jpeg

A second book:

B192F11C-5832-4E77-8362-1D4A8E5A07DD.thumb.jpeg.8b6b4ff0be2a6d3442f0fccbaf633732.jpeg

Dan

7 hours ago, Danno561 said:

Thanks for taking a close look at this, James.  Since I have a bunch of these, I tried comparing the original book to a second in the specific spot that you highlighted.  Three possibilities:

1. You have an eye like an Eagle

2. I am as blind as a bat 

I’d lean toward the second option although given what I paid a few years ago, I would be surprised if someone touched them up.77B8DFEA-7104-4E11-B3BA-A0A5C0676A16.thumb.jpeg.8b2bf66f4f2d957c0327ac880b967c43.jpeg

A second book:

B192F11C-5832-4E77-8362-1D4A8E5A07DD.thumb.jpeg.8b6b4ff0be2a6d3442f0fccbaf633732.jpeg

Dan

I'll get a better view of these pics later on, the monitor I'm using now isn't ideal for fine detail. .

Good rule of thumb, always remain open to possibilities when you think you see a tell.

A good example:

I'm looking at the FF 2 we recently have discussed and I never would have thought to look for any tell for trim because the lower right corner was missing altogether. Who would trim a book ever so slightly that was missing an inch off the corner", right?

Lion's Den brought the tells to my attention and my initial reaction was, "Nah. Who would trim it and why? No help at all unless you trim an inch off the bottom alone, goodbye artwork, now it's a 9 and 1/2" long book".

So I looked at the edges and thought, "funky cut. A lot of these 1961 and early 1962 Marvels and Atlas books are a little odd, typically"

Then I really looked and sure enough, I'm now fairly certain it's trimmed and may have found color touch in the process of examining edges I wouldn't have looked at, assuming that nobody would trim it!

There are many instances of hobbyists buying dark color newsstand issues and then years later discovering that the vendor touched up edges. Seems unlikely, but it does happen.

Always go by the evidence, the piece itself. If you assume, that a tell can't be true because it makes no sense, you may overlook something.

Edited by James J Johnson

10 hours ago, Danno561 said:

Not misleading, a false positive. Artifact. A false tell in this case, that would warrant a closer look at the suspect area, which I did. The second set of pics were perfect for study. Neither of the two have been color touched, at least in the areas we've examined carefully.

The first pic (subject 1) is an enhanced negative, much like an X-Ray of a spine. Nothing unusual aside from a normal stress.

The second enhanced pic (subject 2) is normal as well, aside from typical wear; some stressing and scratches.

082318_Wolv1.jpg

082318_Wolv2.jpg

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

Not misleading, a false positive. Artifact. A false tell in this case, that would warrant a closer look at the suspect area, which I did. The second set of pics were perfect for study. Neither of the two have been color touched, at least in the areas we've examined carefully.

The first pic (subject 1) is an enhanced negative, much like an X-Ray of a spine. Nothing unusual aside from a normal stress.

The second enhanced pic (subject 2) is normal as well, aside from typical wear; some stressing and scratches.

082318_Wolv1.jpg

082318_Wolv2.jpg

Wow!  This is a great forum/resource for me.  I appreciate the time and patience of everyone.  I am definitely learning alot and very impressed with the "teachers"!

Thanks so much

dan