• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good thread about variant price stickers

39 posts in this topic

That Conan #40 says it all for me thanks for putting that up Shieldagent...well guess I suck lol,   Really sweet R Crumb there that's one on my bucket list, Rockmeamedaus PM me your address and I'll get them out to you man.

Edited by George0001

1 hour ago, George0001 said:

That Conan #40 says it all for me thanks for putting that up Shieldagent...well guess I suck lol,   Really sweet R Crumb there that's one on my bucket list, Rockmeamedaus PM me your address and I'll get them out to you man.

That's not necessary. What you can do is give them out to a couple of kids to read. Make sure they're on the younger side, though...those stories aren't really suited for anyone over the age of about 10. 

:)

7-9 would probably be perfect. Maybe find a girl, see if she likes Westerns. 

1 hour ago, George0001 said:

Shieldagent, if you want them man pm me they belong wit their own kind lol

Hey. You gave them to me. I said to give them to kids. If you don't want to give them to kids, send them to me, and *I* will give them to kids.

8 hours ago, ShieldAgent said:

Here is a bronze GK.  Same font:

jungle twins sticker.jpg

This is interesting, and I think gives us the confirmation that these are likely store stickers... The book pictured is Jungle Twins #1, which had a 15c cover. However, it was also printed with a 20c variant cover. This means it’s unlikely that 15c copies would be stickered by the publisher to ensure a higher 20c price, as the publisher was already printing 20c covers.

I can’t say that’s definitive, but it seems pretty convincing.

I would say thanks to George for raising this in the first place, though... I think it’s fascinating that some store (chain?) was routinely stickering books with higher cover prices for an extended period (i.e. at least through the 15c to 30c timeframe). The identical sticker font strongly suggests this, which I find unusual and intriguing. Are these concentrated in certain regions?

20 hours ago, ShieldAgent said:

I know that stickers ruin the book, but that doesn't stop me from picking them up.  I like them, and have examples of 35, 30, 20, 19, and 15 cents.  Anyone else besides PeterPark and I pick them up?  Here is one example:

ringo sticker.jpg

How long ago was it that we used to joke about these over on the Variant Mafia thread?  8 years ago? 10?  Time is flying by. :hi:

Edited by Spider-Variant
Typo

34 minutes ago, Spider-Variant said:

How long ago was it that we used to joke about these over on the Variant Mafia thread?  8 years ago? 10?  Time is flying by. :hi:

You still making them in your basement?  Time does fly.  Miss talking to you. :hi:

Here's my contribution, another underground, but not the typical UG comix sticker. Instead, it's a unique looking sticker, with the original (large) price blacked out by a marker. It also came with an info sheet on the creator. When I acquired this one, I thought I had discovered a new printing, not just a price stickered copy.

002.jpg

1 hour ago, Brother J said:

Here's my contribution, another underground, but not the typical UG comix sticker. Instead, it's a unique looking sticker, with the original (large) price blacked out by a marker. It also came with an info sheet on the creator. When I acquired this one, I thought I had discovered a new printing, not just a price stickered copy.

002.jpg

Eric's not a very good shot is he Brother J?