• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Undervalued Silver Age Comics?

37 posts in this topic

Just though I would start a post on the most undervalued Silver Age comics. We all know that Spider-Mans are commanding high premiums right now, but what about undervalued Silver Age comics? Any one know of any that are truly undervalued? I always thought Hulk Annual #1 was way undervalued... thoughts....

Quite a timely question.

I picked up a Silverage copy of "The Atom #1" and looking at GPAnalysis i am suprised at

A: The lack of trade data for this issue

B: The lack of mid & high grade copys that have been slabbed

C: The prices paid for this book.

What tier does this charachter fall into? I guess it would be either 2 or 3 ???

Russ

Pretty well all SA DC's are undervalued compared to SA Marvel counterparts.

Would say Atom #1 is a 2nd tier hero but quite a lot of x-over interest from the legion of Gil Kane/Anderson/Sid Green art fans (e.g. Green Lantern vol. 2). flowerred.gif

Quite a timely question.

I picked up a Silverage copy of "The Atom #1" and looking at GPAnalysis i am suprised at

A: The lack of trade data for this issue

B: The lack of mid & high grade copys that have been slabbed

C: The prices paid for this book.

What tier does this charachter fall into? I guess it would be either 2 or 3 ???

Russ

I think most people would put Atom in the 2nd tier, depending on how tightly one defines 1st tier. He was part of the first wave of DC's SA revival, and had his own title for quite a few years.

Russ, you should take a look at GPA for GL 1-10, Flash 105-120, Aquaman 1-10, Atom 1-10, B&B 1-43, Showcase 1-40. You will see that what you saw for Atom #1 was not an aberration when it comes to early SA DC. In fact, with multiple 9.4 copies of #1, Atom #1 might actually be considered one of the most plentiful early SA DCs in HG. Not that they ever come on the market.

Atom #1 is pretty much the deadest of dead books. Owning 2, 3 and 4 amongst other issues, I watched quite a few copies of #1 on ebay this year. Anything above VG was listed at or close to guide, with zero bids; some copies repeatedly relisted without anyone caring. Numerous sub-VG copies sold at substantially less than guide. I would be in the market for something in the 6.5-7.5 range (decent bang for one's buck there), but I could never find a nice copy with a low starting price.

I suppose I could have just bought an expensive copy, but it seemed pretty obvious that it would be very difficult to resell for anything like what I'd have paid.

As for books that tth2 didn't mention, Hawkman I would call undervalued, at least in terms of actual sale prices, not guide. I also prefer the Hawkman stories to those in Atom...

...and no, I can't think of an -under-valued SA Marvel - is that an oxymoron? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Atom #1 is pretty much the deadest of dead books. Owning 2, 3 and 4 amongst other issues, I watched quite a few copies of #1 on ebay this year. Anything above VG was listed at or close to guide, with zero bids; some copies repeatedly relisted without anyone caring. Numerous sub-VG copies sold at substantially less than guide. I would be in the market for something in the 6.5-7.5 range (decent bang for one's buck there), but I could never find a nice copy with a low starting price.

I suppose I could have just bought an expensive copy, but it seemed pretty obvious that it would be very difficult to resell for anything like what I'd have paid.

As for books that tth2 didn't mention, Hawkman I would call undervalued, at least in terms of actual sale prices, not guide. I also prefer the Hawkman stories to those in Atom...

...and no, I can't think of an -under-valued SA Marvel - is that an oxymoron? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The copy that I just purchased is a CGC 7.5 It started on E-bay at $1 (I think) with no reserve.

I don't exactly understand when you say that you could have just purchased an expensive copy. 893whatthe.gif

Do you have an untapped source of high grade Silver age D.C's at your fingertips. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Russ...

I personally think a lot of those Gold Key painted cover comics look really cool. You can pick up low/mid grade copies of the Gold Key hero books (Solar/Magnus) fairly cheap, particularly compared to even the cheapest Marvels and even many DCs. Twlight Zone, Space Family, Boris Karloff, Ripleys, etc. are all pieces of art and are cheap.

After that, the ACG super hero and sci fi books from the 60s seem pretty cheap.

they are cheap... but is that the same as undervalued? To me this question worded another way is "WHICH SA BOOKS WILL INCREASE IN VALUE NEXT? and aside from DCs in general (which I thought would have happenned already after Marvels spiked upward for years now) I cant really think of anything 'undervalued' out there.

I certainly think those 1960s Solar/Magnus/Turok books that are now buyable for a couple of bucks or less (let's ignore the guide for now) are undervalued in terms of what they go for. They were more costly 10 years ago and all they need is a revival in those characters. They can't be looked at as "the same" as even second tier marvel (or DC) SA titles like Daredevil that endured for a long time, which is why they're both cheaper in guide and the real world, but maybe they ought to be valued something like copies of DCs "Atom" or Worlds Finest, Jimmy Olsen (Marvel was limited in its titles in the 60s, so they didn't have much in the way of 4th string titles, but I guess maybe Sgt. Fury is a comparison, although those really aren't more expensive than the Gold Keys).

Granted, aside from the great covers, the Gold Key sci fi/horror comics have a certain limited appeal. When stuff like the Twilight Zone or Space Family comes into vogue in the real world perhaps that impacts purchasing. I've actually sold a decent number of these out of my store over the last few months.

I certainly think those 1960s Solar/Magnus/Turok books that are now buyable for a couple of bucks or less (let's ignore the guide for now) are undervalued in terms of what they go for. They were more costly 10 years ago and all they need is a revival in those characters. They can't be looked at as "the same" as even second tier marvel (or DC) SA titles like Daredevil that endured for a long time, which is why they're both cheaper in guide and the real world, but maybe they ought to be valued something like copies of DCs "Atom" or Worlds Finest, Jimmy Olsen (Marvel was limited in its titles in the 60s, so they didn't have much in the way of 4th string titles, but I guess maybe Sgt. Fury is a comparison, although those really aren't more expensive than the Gold Keys).

Granted, aside from the great covers, the Gold Key sci fi/horror comics have a certain limited appeal. When stuff like the Twilight Zone or Space Family comes into vogue in the real world perhaps that impacts purchasing. I've actually sold a decent number of these out of my store over the last few months.

You get my vote for TZ as undervalued..or maybe it's underappreciated! I still can't believe my TZ #22 CGC 9.8 didn't even crack 70 bones on ebay.

I think most people would put Atom in the 2nd tier, depending on how tightly one defines 1st tier. He was part of the first wave of DC's SA revival, and had his own title for quite a few years.

Russ, you should take a look at GPA for GL 1-10, Flash 105-120, Aquaman 1-10, Atom 1-10, B&B 1-43, Showcase 1-40. You will see that what you saw for Atom #1 was not an aberration when it comes to early SA DC. In fact, with multiple 9.4 copies of #1, Atom #1 might actually be considered one of the most plentiful early SA DCs in HG. Not that they ever come on the market.

Tim,

What exactly do you mean in high grade? Anything above VF? I know where there is a real nice one

893applaud-thumb.gif

Rube

Kakopo,

I am not so sure about those Atoms. I just watched a #14 with white pages goes for 3 1/2 times guide on ebay. ($400 it sold for) Maybe there isn't as many collectors but there is still a demand for high grade early Atoms.

Rube

there isn't much out there in the way of undervalued uber high grade silver age comics from marvel or DC. if they don't go (in a slab) for over guide in HG most people are shocked.

i suppose some of the ACG, Charleton (non-warehouse books), Gold Keys, Tower, Seawald, etc have potential because the people interested in them may not be looking all the time, but when they are, maybe there's potential for a bidding war because the stuff doesn't come up in high grade all that much.

in a different week shrunken's TZ 22 in slabbed 9.8 may have gone into triple digits with the right people looking.

with that said, considering you can occasionally get lucky and get high grade examples of these out of vogue books pretty cheap. a lot of dealers are not really looking so carefully at these books to determine whether they are slab-worthy (because so few of them are, whereas you can get your money back slabbing a 9.0 FF 80 if you overestimated the grade) and maybe just toss them in the $1, $2 or $5 bin.

What about the cartoon books? I think Richie Rich or other popular character # issues are not undervalued but there are some other keys that can be had pretty in expensively, especially raw.

Uncle Scrooge's

Hot Wheels

Archie's

The copy that I just purchased is a CGC 7.5 It started on E-bay at $1 (I think) with no reserve.

I don't exactly understand when you say that you could have just purchased an expensive copy. 893whatthe.gif

Russ...

Ah, well, too bad for me that I stopped searching for it on ebay smile.gif Congratulations indeed.

And what I meant was, since there were better-than-VG copies being listed (simply with high starting prices and reserves), I could have bought a nice copy if I'd wanted to badly enough. But since we all know it can be tough to get close to 100% of guide when reselling, I try to exercise caution when buying!!

they are cheap... but is that the same as undervalued? To me this question worded another way is "WHICH SA BOOKS WILL INCREASE IN VALUE NEXT? and aside from DCs in general (which I thought would have happenned already after Marvels spiked upward for years now) I cant really think of anything 'undervalued' out there.

If you word it that way, then I think the answer may be "not much". I'm (barely tongue.gif) old enough to remember people scoffing at the idea that BA books would ever be worth anything - they seem to have appreciated far faster in %age terms than SA books over the past decade, as people were priced out of the market on key early SA, then all early SA, etc. etc. In effect, people have found something a few years newer that is relatively very cheap, rather than paying ever escalating prices for the older stuff (slabbed uberhigh grades excluded, obviously smile.gif )

The crunch will happen when HG bronze is so expensive that people turn to the 1980s for bargains - the huge supply will/should temper the price rises...although, that's what they said about bronze... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif...but I think it might actually be true for copper books.

But to get back to the original question, I'd say that virtually anything drawn by Murphy Anderson is, IMHO, undervalued. That's not to say that it'll appreciate, simply that I find the asking prices very reasonable (if it's not Showcase 55 tongue.gif ). And yes, Atoms are cheap and pretty cool. But I have all the early Aquamans as well, so my taste is highly suspect sorry.gif

Uncle Scrooge's - maybe. a lot of ducks stuff can be picked up inexpensively. i keep hearing about all these european collectors, but i have not yet had one ask me how much it would cost to ship to europe and I have a decent selection of Ducks from the 40's - 70s up right now.

Hot Wheels - sort of a weird niche comic, eh? weren't those hot a few years ago?

Archie's - 1940s, and maybe some 1950s Archies, ought to be worth something. honestly, i don't know what the market is like on those. the problem with later issues is that there are a lot of them out there. it would be nice if girls/women got into collecting these. they should have appeal to the 30something crowd, but it's probably tough for a 30something woman to get into collecting comics she read 25 years ago.

with that said, when i see pre-76 archies cheap and not too beat up, i buy them. they're kind of neat and i don't think it's a terrible idea long-term, although right now i think i'd have a tough time getting my money back even at 50 cents - $1 a book cost to me.

Uncle Scrooge's - maybe. a lot of ducks stuff can be picked up inexpensively. i keep hearing about all these european collectors, but i have not yet had one ask me how much it would cost to ship to europe and I have a decent selection of Ducks from the 40's - 70s up right now.

Hot Wheels - sort of a weird niche comic, eh? weren't those hot a few years ago?

Archie's - 1940s, and maybe some 1950s Archies, ought to be worth something. honestly, i don't know what the market is like on those. the problem with later issues is that there are a lot of them out there. it would be nice if girls/women got into collecting these. they should have appeal to the 30something crowd, but it's probably tough for a 30something woman to get into collecting comics she read 25 years ago.

with that said, when i see pre-76 archies cheap and not too beat up, i buy them. they're kind of neat and i don't think it's a terrible idea long-term, although right now i think i'd have a tough time getting my money back even at 50 cents - $1 a book cost to me.

Actually I just saw a Hot Wheels #1 in CGC 9.4 go for a few hundred dollars on eBay! Maybe its Hot Wheel car collectors buying up that comic? Heh?

Still an interesting price for that comic.....