• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying eBay Bidding Failures

18 posts in this topic

I spotted a Rifleman 10 on eBay the other day. Something told me it would go low, under the radar. I knew I'd be driving so I set an alarm, pulled the car over, logged in (heh, heh) and waited patiently for the 2 minutes to count down, pleased with my planning. In line with my otherwise 99% successful bidding approach I waited until the listing had 9 seconds to go before diving in. Works every time!

That is, until eBay decides to advise you that your 'session has timed out'. Even though I had purposely logged in afresh.

Obviously there was a furious attempt to log in again but of course I lost it.

One solitary word was muttered. It had four letters, started with c and ended in t. Yes, that's it. Clot.

rifleman.thumb.PNG.0efa2929a7b7dadf11fbf493b050f0a3.PNG

:frustrated:

Your turn.

2 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

eebay does not allow sniping while in a car

No wonder the Knight Rider never had any comics to read.

Here's another. I can console myself with the knowledge I already have them, but how did I forget to bid on these three!

440269120_kco919698.thumb.PNG.7af72a6013846919e37c5d06742af539.PNG

:frustrated:

1 minute ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I've had a few issues with sniping both from my phone and PC. Now I just enter my highest bid a day before ending. The Bay aint what it used to be.

It sure aint.

Man that’s a bummer!! I always use the App on my IPhone and never had troubles. I wait until 8 seconds actually lol

i remember doing one snipe on my PC and lost internet connection right after placing my bid and lost. After that I do APP only. 

Ive pulled over one time to snipe (on a highway), and I remember a Cop was following me. After I pulled over I thought it would have been funny if he stopped to see if everything was okay and I could tell him i was bidding for a comic on eBay! He probably would have been proud that I pulled over. Cheers to safe driving. 

4 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Man that’s a bummer!! I always use the App on my IPhone and never had troubles. I wait until 8 seconds actually lol

i remember doing one snipe on my PC and lost internet connection right after placing my bid and lost. After that I do APP only. 

Ive pulled over one time to snipe (on a highway), and I remember a Cop was following me. After I pulled over I thought it would have been funny if he stopped to see if everything was okay and I could tell him i was bidding for a comic on eBay! He probably would have been proud that I pulled over. Cheers to safe driving. 

71a1414a-3755-4933-814d-b1f07a0e3801_screenshot.thumb.jpg.acdfa404c6658e63129c7fe79b44873b.jpg

"Honeshtly offisher. I was just, hic, just shniping on ebay..."

This is exactly why I'm a big proponent of placing my max bid then walking away.  If I lose it, c'est la vie.  If I win it great.  Either way, I know that I didn't get caught up in last minute/second auction frenzy.

36 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

why don't you use a sniping website instead? they are free. I use one called Gixen

never missed sending my bid unless my amount was already below the current bids-- which in that case, it went for more than I was willing to give.

I'm old fashioned Dude. Gixen sounds like a 90's rock band. 

24 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

This is exactly why I'm a big proponent of placing my max bid then walking away.  If I lose it, c'est la vie.  If I win it great.  Either way, I know that I didn't get caught up in last minute/second auction frenzy.

I know. I like the last minute manual approach though. You can save a packet that way. Bid early, the competition often keep bidding until they get you. Why give them the chance? Amazing how often it works. The only reason there was a frenzy this time is because ebay timed me out. Of course,  I may have lost anyway. Who knows how high the winners bid was. I certainly don't - thanks to fleabay :makepoint:

If I'm home when the auction ends, I do the manual last second thing. If I'm at work (or someplace else), I use a sniping program. My sniping program is installed on my laptop. I've more than once come home to find my laptop hibernating (sucky battery life) & it never placed a bid.

15 minutes ago, Gaard said:

If I'm home when the auction ends, I do the manual last second thing. If I'm at work (or someplace else), I use a sniping program. My sniping program is installed on my laptop. I've more than once come home to find my laptop hibernating (sucky battery life) & it never placed a bid.

there are websites to handle your sniping-- set it up and it happens automatically. You can still monitor it, alter it, cancel it-- up until about 2 minutes before the auction ends (possibly even closer but mine says 2 minutes is their threshold that they guarantee). No need to load any software.

anyway...

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

there are websites to handle your sniping-- set it up and it happens automatically. You can still monitor it, alter it, cancel it-- up until about 2 minutes before the auction ends (possibly even closer but mine says 2 minutes is their threshold that they guarantee). No need to load any software.

anyway...

So if fellow bidders are also using a sniping program how does it all boil down?

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:
3 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

anyway...

So if fellow bidders are also using a sniping program how does it all boil down?

the bids get put in with about 6 or 7 seconds left and whoever has the best bid wins. Some of these auctions end at very strange times. If you don't want to show your max bid (similar to what some are doing putting their top number out there and seeing how it goes)-- this might work for you. Just understand that ebay bidding rules apply-- so if you have some bid that fails to meet the minimum next step up in bidding, it will fail.

ex: say you have a bid setup in the sniping website for item X for $10.01 but at the time the auction is closing the item is at $9.75 -- the next step up might be to $10.75 - and your bid does not meet that and fails to be accepted by ebay.

Now that is not a terrible thing-- you came up a little short and lost out. But you won't pay more than you are willing and you won't give some thrill bidder a target to pump up the price as they often do.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

the bids get put in with about 6 or 7 seconds left and whoever has the best bid wins. Some of these auctions end at very strange times. If you don't want to show your max bid (similar to what some are doing putting their top number out there and seeing how it goes)-- this might work for you. Just understand that ebay bidding rules apply-- so if you have some bid that fails to meet the minimum next step up in bidding, it will fail.

ex: say you have a bid setup in the sniping website for item X for $10.01 but at the time the auction is closing the item is at $9.75 -- the next step up might be to $10.75 - and your bid does not meet that and fails to be accepted by ebay.

Now that is not a terrible thing-- you came up a little short and lost out. But you won't pay more than you are willing and you won't give some thrill bidder a target to pump up the price as they often do.

Buuuut...on the other hand, had you bid $10.01 earlier, the guy bidding $9.75 would have been out of luck and you would have won the item...