• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ideal auction format?

8 posts in this topic

I've read a lot of debate about who does it best. And there are always a lot of valid points for all sides.

I'm not asking who's got the best platform. I'm really curious to hear what features you think would make for the best hybrid solution.

Maybe one (or all) of them will listen... who knows, maybe a new player will be taking notes.

I think part of the issue at hand is that only one of the major houses seems to be large enough to have their own dedicated IT/development staff. I owned a wed development firm (working for clients) in a past life and know that often times the logic of "it's not broken, don't fix it" takes a strong hold. And a lot of folks that have had online businesses long enough have been burned by bad development, so there's a nasty creep of fear when it comes to updating.

BTW, this is the thread that inspired me to ask:

I find that all of the auction houses have some positive features and some not so good.The one thing that bothers me is all auctions should have time limits so the bleeding stops at some point.The lack of back covers without asking for them is a downer even though i base my purchase on the front more than the back.I also find when a book is raw most times it isn't graded for a reason but i have been lucky on a few.I find that some of the sellers on the boards could give them lessons on how to show all the problems that a book might have.I have my favorites to use but i love when a book appears that has been on the radar and it is on there sight.The way the prices have been going lately i'm glad i did most of my shopping many years ago.Last word i'm with Peter that CC and CL should end roughly at the same time but i know why they do it.:smile:

Edited by comicjack

All I know is that I dislike the CL auction format to the point that I will not even bother to look at their auctions on the assumption that I will not be bidding on anything in the end anyways.

With their last second end of auction format, I feel that this only encourages you to throw in an "atomic style bid" if you really want to win a book since you will most likely be bidding against auction sniping programs, as opposed to a real person.  I much prefer taking my time (like say 3 minutes or so :taptaptap: lol) to decide if I should toss in another bid or not, and if I do, I know exactly what amount I will be bidding against and also exactly what I will have to pay.  hm

This is why if I do bid in a CL auction, it would usually only be with a bottom of the barrel bid and if I happen to win it, that's fine as II have absolutely no interest with tossing in astronomical bids against other hidden undisclosed bids from other bidders to try to win a book in the last micro-second.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

10 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Last word i'm with Peter that CC and CL should NOT end roughly at the same time but i know why they do it.:smile:

Am I right in correcting your last sentence for you?  ???

Can you give us a hint as to why they would be doing this or is it just the typical  :slapfight: :slapfight:  between the 2 auction houses which is really not doing their consignors any great favors?  hm

Some of the features that make Heritage the best are:

1.  Large front and back cover scans (CC has this too, but not as large).

2.  GPA, Price Guide, and census info on all books.

3.  Tracking (CC allows this too).

4.  Prior sales info on the book in the same and other grades at the click of a mouse.

5.  A library of all prior sales with scans.

Edited by RareHighGrade

In addition to the ones already listed...

1. Advanced search features.  I think both CL and CC searches suck.  HA is better but not great.  Outside the obvious, I would like to search by lots of different options or combinations such as book publication dates, peds, age, genres, publisher, third-party graded, and others I'm sure I am missing.
  2. I like image enlargement as you roll over the thumbnail like HA and Hakes do.  
  3. Show suggestions like Ebay does and/or other books from the same title/publisher in the auction.  
  4. Reminders and otubid bid notices of watched/bidding lots via text message.
  5. Displayed calculated cost with bid plus BP plus tax plus appr. shipping for bid placed.
  6. Search across title and/or description.  
  7. Highly detailed description of condition of raw books with PQ listed.
  8. At least CF image along FC and BC scans of raw books.  It would be nice to have first and last pages with covers visible to see staple integrity.
  9. Link to ask the auction a question or request more information about a particular lot with a timely response.
  10. Change pagination display of search results to more on one page.