• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why doesn’t CGC note Adventure 260 as 1st silverage Aquaman

8 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, rabidwolf said:

Label just says origin.

sorry if this has been discussed before 

I think what you want to be asking is what is Aquaman’s first SA origin — not SA appearance.  Temporally, and being published in May 1959, Adventure 260 holds that distinction.  Showcase 30 came 18 months later.  Unlike Flash or GL or Atom, Aquaman didn’t undergo a complete transformation, and so a “first SA appearance” for Aquaman is a misnomer.  Similar to Wonder Woman in WW 98:  still the same core character, but elements of her origin were revised, and so WW doesn’t have a first SA appearance, but does have a first SA origin — like Aquaman in Adventure 260.  (Interestingly, the CGC label for WW98 says, “New Wonder Woman Origin,” while the CGC label for Adventure 260 says, “Origin of Aquaman.”  Was this intentional?  I don’t know.  98’s label could have been written “New Origin of Wonder Woman” if grammatical consistency was important to CGC throughout its labels.)

The links Namisgr provides go into greater detail on this question and discuss the comparative importance between Adventure 260 and SC 30.

It’s kinda like saying”what’s the first silver age Superman, Batman, Superboy” etc, since they were all continually published through the entire decade(s). I agree, what book defines their revised origin. Interesting that Superman and aBatman don’t have a breakout book for the same reasons. There were so many retelling of their origins. Each added more to the lore. I always thought Superman 106 would be a key, but several issues later we get his name Kalel for the first time, and that isn’t ieven mention in the guide.