• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPidey 60 Cover OA in heritage Nov 2018 auction!
2 2

23 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, buyatari said:

I'm not crazy about the signature either but what can you do?

There is only one and if you are of the mind to bring this one home otherwise I doubt the signature has much sway. 

Unfortunately, with the needless trimming that took place at some time in the piece's history, there weren't many other options for signature placement - if you wanted JR to sign it that is.

14 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Maybe Burkey will provide some insight (unless he is a potential buyer in which case he will let us believe it looks like a stat)

Spidey is all stat here....looks like kingpin is all stat as well...and there is so much tape covering art on this cover it looks DEPLORABLE!!!! They must have used half a roll of magic tape on this cover....Water damage and mold are clearly visible but covered by black ink to hide the damage from unsuspecting buyers....... Just looking at my computer screen at this actual HA auction I can smell the mold! Looks like its all fading also. There are numerous tears everywhere and the art (what's left of it anyway) is clearly trimmed right to the art like a bad comic book novice collector trimmed it, which devalues it immensely.......And in the entire black background area of this cover, Steve Ditko penciled a super detailed Dr. Strange image, (as he was going to co-star in this issue initially) As Ditko was just taking a vacation after ASM #38, and Ditko was ready to take over the art chores on ASM again after his 22 issue vacation.....So he came back to the office to start back up on Spidey, but Stan then told Romita to erase the Dr. Strange image and ink DIRECTLY over the Ditko Dr strange image on this cover! Stan Lee and Steve Ditko then got in a BIG fight over this very cover and Larry Lieber and John Romita had to pull Ditko off of Stan Lee, and Ditko left Marvel for almost 20 YEARS....never to draw Spider-Man AGAIN!!!! So this actual cover is WHY DITKO LEFT MARVEL!!!! This ASM #60 cover art is VERY tainted to most ASM art fans even more now because of this absolutely new knowledge! So ya...This ASM #60 cover art is just bad Karma to anyone who bids on it! It's worth MAYBE half of what the ASM 55 cover sold for recently with no detailed background to be seen...So in review here.........With Ditko getting kicked off the ASM title and leaving Marvel over this very ASM cover, Any smart, savvy art collector would be wise to just save their money and spend ALL that money in the SPRING 2019 HA auction to bid on the INCREDIBLY historic ASM #39 cover which will be in that HA spring 2019 auction.....(or so i've heard!!) :)

Edited by romitaman