• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The classic iconic cover thread.
4 4

577 posts in this topic

Have to interject two more pre-hero books. Both with Kirby art, and classic panic in the streets covers. Two books with similar themes. Moomba and his fellow carved wooden statuettes were going for world domination. Strange Tales 68 isn't quite that subtle!

scan0973.jpg

scan0921.jpg

3 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Have to interject two more pre-hero books. Both with Kirby art, and classic panic in the streets covers. Two books with similar themes. Moomba and his fellow carved wooden statuettes were going for world domination. Strange Tales 68 isn't quite that subtle!

scan0973.jpg

scan0921.jpg

Moomba has already been mentioned in post above.

17 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

scan0973.jpg

Moomba was the hottest nightspot in NYC circa 1999 or so. Wonder if they got the name from this book... hm

On 9/16/2018 at 3:14 PM, oakman29 said:

20180123_192256.thumb.jpg.cdc4a5c1dcf9c83ba6ee34fceb017099.jpg

Think about the fact that "pure" classic horror comics didn't exist outside of Warren (I'm not talking about DC's mystery format and Marvel's prehero monster books and the Atlas mystery comics that preceded them). Gives you an idea of just how important Warren was to the 1960s horror genre. Especially when Creepy 1 appeared along side the greatest horror magazine of them all, Famous Monsters of Filmland 1. Oak, I'm glad you posted this classic Jack Davis cover, One of one of the all time greats!

11 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Think about the fact that "pure" classic horror comics didn't exist outside of Warren (I'm not talking about DC's mystery format and Marvel's prehero monster books and the Atlas mystery comics that preceded them). Gives you an idea of just how important Warren was to the 1960s horror genre. Especially when Creepy 1 appeared along side the greatest horror magazine of them all, Famous Monsters of Filmland 1. Oak, I'm glad you posted this classic Jack Davis cover, One of one of the all time greats!

It's a winner for sure, and is very deserving of the coveted "classic cover " designation.