• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC slab issue, didn't even know this was possible
1 1

21 posts in this topic

So I sold a slabbed comic to a buyer, but upon arrival, he tells me the comic has slipped down into the case. 

Apparently trying to tap it back into place has not produced results. I packed this thing in a ton of bubble wrap, so I don't know how this could happen. I wasn't even aware this was possible. Has anyone had seen this or had success unsticking this? To my knowledge there was no damage to the case.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Tnexus

Looks like the comic isn't the only thing that slipped...which might have caused the whole comic to slip.:banana:

babuuumffff.( Will be all weekend ).

I'm not sure what the decision making process is behind which inner well a book is encapsulated within but I've had some moderns that are in a floating well (they don't have the raised support with punchouts for the corners).  I just got a couple back from CGC yesterday that look the exact same as yours.  The book is at the bottom of the well.  I don't think its uncommon and it sounds like the book is tightly fixed within.

21 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

So I sold a slabbed comic to a buyer, but upon arrival, he tells me the comic has slipped down into the case. 

Apparently trying to tap it back into place has not produced results. I packed this thing in a ton of bubble wrap, so I don't know how this could happen. I wasn't even aware this was possible. Has anyone had seen this or had success unsticking this? To my knowledge there was no damage to the case.

s-l1600.jpg

I've seen this several times.  It's a form of Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS) where the forces involved caused the book to break through the inner sleeve seal.

You can see an example of this HERE.

I'd rather have newtron rings on all my books cause that doesnt bother me at all because its just a reflective color on the case no damage but this is destroying books. people need to pick there battles better the more people complain about silly things seems to create bigger problems for us all

Edited by JcomicJ

Best, perhaps only, synopsis on chain of events regarding case design I’ve seen:

Shaken Comic Syndrome (SCS) led CGC to use a compression design which held the comic securely and reduced/eliminated SCS (supposedly), but the pressure caused massive newton rings and damage. They then modified the case to reduce the newton rings by reducing the compression, but this instead became a creep engine which slowly turned the comic into an accordion (waves). To fix the creep engine effect, they reduced the compression to zero and re-incorporated the old inner holder. Unfortunately, this Frankenholder design failed to utilize an air gap between the inner holder and the outer case, causing the newton ring problem to be much worse than with the original case. So now we've come full-circle...SCS is still a big problem and newton rings have never been worse.”

Edited by Callaway29

1 hour ago, JcomicJ said:

I'd rather have newtron rings on all my books cause that doesnt bother me at all because its just a reflective color on the case no damage but this is destroying books. people need to pick there battles better the more people complain about silly things seems to create bigger problems for us all

well I would like a product that doesn't wreck the comic AND still provides excellent presentation.

2 hours ago, JcomicJ said:

They may be silly to you, but they're not to over 85% of the 153 people who havd voted so far in our Newton Ring poll here on the boards. 

17 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

well I would like a product that doesn't wreck the comic AND still provides excellent presentation.

Don't be silly Artboy.  Anyone would think you paid for the service!

Oh, hang on. 

2 hours ago, JcomicJ said:

:eyeroll:

Hey question for Ditch Fahrenheit, and others knowledgeable on the current state of CGC and CBCS.

I've been buying select key issues of CGC comics, in the last few years as I've gotten back into buying certain comics, but I'm still learning about grading (CGC, etc.).

I've read some of your posts and seen some of your videos, I'm concerned but not sure how big a problem these issues are?

Most of the CGC comics I own, are from before 04 2016 (newer holder), do you consider the older holders better or safer to buy and keep?

Do you own CGC or CBCS graded comics?

If you want to get raw comics graded, who do you use (was leaning to CBCS but hearing of very long wait times)?

Thanks!