• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Label with Notes

2 posts in this topic

I just picked up a TMNT #2 blue label that I hadn't noticed (wasn't disclosed in description and a photo was shown at an awkward angle) that it had a note that there were two small pieces of tape on the interior.

I am not looking for any recourse or compensation but I was curios on a few things.  So being on a blue label does that mean the book had a great deduction for the smaller pieces of tape and were it not for the tape would have graded higher?  Why does some tape result in a note while others books may get a PLOD? 

I have to imagine if I ever decided to sell I would likely get less because of the note?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Patrick

Tape by itself will not get a restored (PLOD) grade.  Tape is always noted on the label. 

If the tape is repairing something (like say a tear or reattaching a piece or reattaching a page to a staple) then the book is graded as though the defect is still there. So graded as though the tear was there, the piece still missing, the staple still detached.  If the tape is unnecessary (say accidental or as reinforcement) the tape is treated as a defect and affects the final grade. 

CGC modified their stance on tape in 2013. The purpose being that tape can never improve the grade of a book. 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3327/CGC-Modifies-Stance-on-Grading-Submissions-with-Tape/

Edited by Tony S