• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LB Cole's Great #1 variants?

8 posts in this topic

Since there's a lot of LB Cole buzz around here, I thought it would be a good time to ask about Great #1.  I've seen a few high graded books sell over the past year or so, and have been looking to buy, but it seems there are variants- a Novack and something else...  Can anyone explain this?  Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 1.52.17 PM.png

Edited by Frank Grow

17 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

I "think" it's just a publisher.  There's no difference in the cover if that helps.  

It's a fantastic cover though!  It should be nominated in the poll that's going on now too.

I was thinking maybe one was a Canadian version or something which might significantly affect value.  

Well- yeah I didn't think of looking in Overstreet.  This is confusing.  So there are four variants?  Seems the covers are the same but the contents differ? 

Damn those are low values.  But I guess with cole books going 3-5 times guide the range would be around $900-$2500 for NM.

Great1Overstreet.thumb.jpg.5a3219f2b2f8bb5e4efac587edc8ac7b.jpg

There are variants of publishers. The stand out (IMO from what I've found) seems to be the Jubilee variant. CGC has only graded 2 and the cover is slightly different. I believe most of the variants have the letters "LNC" in the upper left:
http://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/335540

The Jubilee variant does not. It has "SND" running vertically down the top, left side:
http://comics.gocollect.com/guide/view/993403 (you'll need to enlarge the pics in those links to see)

On 8/31/2018 at 7:10 PM, Frank Grow said:

Damn those are low values.  But I guess with cole books going 3-5 times guide the range would be around $900-$2500 for NM.

It's been a while but I seem to remember there was a warehouse find of these long ago? High-grade copies have seemingly always been around--there's a handful on ebay right now. Even so, it is a quite cool cover.