• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do so many people keep plastic bags on their slabs and keep their books in bags and Mylars when snapping pics?
4 4

35 posts in this topic

I can think of a few reasons.

1) being lazy sometimes-- especially for people taking hundreds of pictures of books - for the sake of speed perhaps?

2) uninformed sellers who think that plastic holder means it is brand new or somehow better?

3) Some people are hiding flaws when they sell and the comic looks better inside the bag than raw.

I will provide one picture in the bag along with scans of the raw and pictures of the interior-- as well as highlighting flaws that I mention in my description. But I am not a high volume guy so I understand how they might resort to this sometimes. The ones who bother me more are those who use stock images and expect me to take their word for it on the grading. The reason I include that picture in the bag/board is to let them know I am sending them the book in that protection.

Edited by 01TheDude
added something

I do it often I would say it's for faster listing.

But I don't want to put a lot of finger prints on the book either. Or get the tape stuck to the cover of a NM or better book. Plus most of my listings are for lower end books. I have over 10k  books I am getting ready to sell. Bad enough you have to scan or take pics of all of them imagine having to unbag and rebag each one.I try to can all mine there is a difference from taking pics. at least I think so.

But I will try a long box and see how long it takes to do this.

Can you really tell the difference just wondering these were scanned 

out of plastic

1416782995_ihscanraw.thumb.jpg.b4cde8462448db7de9bda72fa434b251.jpg

in plastic

76035324_ihscan.thumb.jpg.a6dd9702dc3a2251032e219115e6f346.jpg

Edited by topcat54

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

No excuse when selling books. 

However, if you are showing off a "mail call" and are taking a group shot of everything you just got in that package, AND it is not for sale, then I don't really care at all.

I agree; if it's just for a board discussion and you're answering a question but don't want to risk the in and out of Mylar on a rare and/or high grade book, I'm just grateful for the image. Leave it in for safety if you want.

For sales threads, I like back covers too at a minimum, but I understand when listing lots of low price point reader books only showing fronts along with grade and description. That said, I think it's good to offer more pix on request. When in doubt, err on the side of showing more pix, as some folks just won't like to ask. (Some folks hate to haggle; they won't PM but will take a book at discount if they felt first ask was more than they want to pay.)

For sales of raw, higher grade newer books, the kind that are $2 in 8.0 and $180 in 9.632 of whatever, please post the back too.

And somebody pour Roy a decaf to go with Dave's turkey sangwich!  :baiting:

12 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It's a peeve of mine because it really hinders you from seeing the book.

You wouldn't put a car cover over your car when taking a picture, would you?

You wouldn't keep your lunch sandwich in a ziploc bag if you were sending a picture, would you?

If you want to show the comic for sale, I think you should take the plastic off the CGC case or out of the bag / Mylar for snapping pics.

It would seem to be common sense but maybe it isn't?

And don't get me wrong on the artistic merit of thumbs and toes in pictures. lol

Well,  it comes down to the basic of things - Time.  You know,  when you put things aside to "think about it".  

Takes time to remove a bag,  takes time to decide to buy something.

So there you go.

:jokealert:

11 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Along those lines - what's the rationale for no back cover scans anymore? Especially on low or mid grade books, but even on anything less than 9.6, you wouldnt want to see what's up? Guess not. It's the exception now.

And even worse, they give you only a front cover pic and put a note that back cover brings the grade down.

6 hours ago, SBRobin said:
16 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I will provide one picture in the bag 

Why provide any pictures in the bag? Just remove the bag. Drives me crazy too. 

Maybe you should try reading the entire post and not just cutting some small part of a sentence out. The answer is there noob.

16 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I can think of a few reasons.

1) being lazy sometimes-- especially for people taking hundreds of pictures of books - for the sake of speed perhaps?

2) uninformed sellers who think that plastic holder means it is brand new or somehow better?

3) Some people are hiding flaws when they sell and the comic looks better inside the bag than raw.

I will provide one picture in the bag along with scans of the raw and pictures of the interior-- as well as highlighting flaws that I mention in my description. But I am not a high volume guy so I understand how they might resort to this sometimes. The ones who bother me more are those who use stock images and expect me to take their word for it on the grading. The reason I include that picture in the bag/board is to let them know I am sending them the book in that protection.