• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since "Ask CGC" won't post my question... I'll ask about it here.

19 posts in this topic

Hey. CGC won't put this question up on that board... so I'll see what you guys say.

Basically I'm seeking to become convinced that my books will receive not even the slightest bit of damage the whole time that CGC has my books. Several people and their hands must touch each book... right? I just can't imagine them using the utmost complete care that I do when I handle a book, EVERY time.

I realize that if you're submitting books that you're hoping to receive 9.0 or less on, this isn't a big deal, because the sheer handling of the books probably won't produce a mistake big enough to drop the book a grade by itself. But what about the modern-people who look to get 9.9's and 10.0's? It seems like simply holding the book would remove the book from getting that type of grade, ya know?

I'm not being paranoid, just ultra-curious. Can anyone tell me a thing or two of what happens there?

It seems like simply holding the book would remove the book from getting that type of grade, ya know?

Anyone using knowledgeable care will not impact a book while even taking the extra time to read it, let alone the briefer time needed to grade it. I feel the whole CGC range of 9.8 - 10.0 has made many people almost paranoid. There is nothing destructive about opening up even a 10 to read it. If done properly there should be no damage. Considering the processes a book goes through just to be trimmed and stapled and hit a newsstand or comic shop - opening it up to read is mother''s milk.

If done properly there should be no damage.

Hell, I still read all my books in bed! shocked.gif Including all those 9.6s and 9.8s that I've received from CGC! wink.gif

I read somewhere once that detected fingerprints exclude a book from scoring a mint-status. Am I wrong? I don't see how casual and careful reading of a book could keep it in 'mint' condition. I suppose if you casually read your comic while wearing gloves... but I don't know anyone that does that.

Several people and their hands must touch each book... right? I just can't imagine them using the utmost complete care that I do when I handle a book, EVERY time.

Several people at CGC do touch the books but they all wear gloves, so there won't be any fingerprints.

We also have to assume they use the utmost complete care every time they handle a book. They are in the business of grading some very high grade and valuable books. If the customers didn't have the confidence that their books were in capable hands then they would soon be out of buisness.

The people at CGC are professionals, and I am sure that they are extremely carefull when handling the books they receive.

Sound like you are being ultra-paranoid and ultra-curious laugh.gif .

Those Ultimate Spider-Mans, etc., with those flimsy covers...well, I have an Ultimate SM 33 that received a CGC 9.8...and this is a book that was thrown into my pull box, handled by me as I sorted through the comics I received that week, handled again (and not delicately) when my LCS owner handled the book to check the price and put it in a paper bag (with no bag or backing board), then I threw it on my cars front seat (or it came home with me on an MTA bus...I forget), then I picked it up and put it in a mylite with an acid-free backing board, then I opened the comic again and looked it over again before submitting it to CGC (had to make sure it would get me at least a 9.6, or it was not worth grading). This profesionally graded comic was well handled by many people (myself included) before it hit CGC's hands, and still remained in near-perfect condition.

I also have an Ultimate Spider-Man 36 that went through the same abuse as the USM 33 I purchased and submitted, and THAT comic received a CGC 9.8. I KNEW the USM 34 and 35 would not get a 9.8...and I was very happy they got a 9.6 grade...again, same abuse.

I have noticed that my Ultimate X-mens with the flimsy covers, for one mysterious reason or another, were in only 9.0-9.4 condition at best when purchased, and were probably in said condition before they ever left the box my LCS owner pulled them out of (I consider myself lucky that I now own a strict NM+ - NM/MINT set of USM 33-36).

I love stories of people who go nuts trying to cherry pick a 9.8-10 from their local comic ...better to just grab a copy that looks good, find out via on-line/off-line source if it might be worth grading if you check it out and realize you have a beautiful copy on your hands, and roll the dice...if you have good eyes and picked a nice copy off the racks (without sorting through all the copies in the store laugh.gifsmile.giftongue.gif ), then worst comes to worst, you are probably looking at a 9.6 (and a CGC NM+ is nothing to sneeze at).

Regards

Christopher H

... love stories of people who go nuts trying to cherry pick a 9.8-10 from their local comic ...better to just grab a copy that looks good, .....

trouble is most copies today have dings and corner rips and spine scratches on delivery day. So just grabbing a copy from the middle of the stack isnt good enough anymore. Just finding a comic with both ends of the spine undamaged is a challenge! And then you get home and see some other problem on the book...

sheeesh

trouble is most copies today have dings and corner rips and spine scratches on delivery day. So just grabbing a copy from the middle of the stack isnt good enough anymore. Just finding a comic with both ends of the spine undamaged is a challenge! And then you get home and see some other problem on the book...

And you people wonder why nobody wants to collect comics any more... How is this mindless pursuit fun? Collecting comics isn't a hobby anymore, it's an industry. It's not about the story or the art or the half-naked women with impossibly large bagongas... it's about how "collectible" this collectible is going to be fifteen or twenty years down the road. And frankly, none of these books are going to be worth ANYTHING because UNLIKE books from years and years and years ago, EVERY single one of these books is being hoarded (except for the REALLY ones but that won't matter because scarcity doesn't actually mean anything to anyone). So, in closing, don't bother combing the piles of new books looking for "perfect" copies... try reading the books, try looking at the art, try ogling the fantastically well-built comic hoochies.

Long live Jambi.

I agree totally, surprising as that sounds. BUT--I still want a brand new comics to be in brand new condition, dammit! If anyones gonna mess it it up reading it it should be me. I oughta be able to easily buy it in minty fresh condition like the good old days without all this effort. I'd like to find out at what point on the assembly line, or in shipping (at Diamond?) all this damage happens. Anyone here work in Timonium have an answer whether they arrive at the distributor's ALREADY scraped and mutilated? Or is Geppi pulling all the best copies? (jest kidding on that)

And like I said, I agree they will all be worthless....but thats STILL no reason to pay 2.99 for a damaged comic right off the bat.

hmmm... seems like some of these responses started to run off-topic. crazy.gif

Didn't mean to upset anyone. I could care less what anyone thinks of the modern-market. I just wanted to know about CGC's handling of books.

yeah you're right...back to CGC's handling of the books submitted. I think you have a legitimate concern, at least insofar as your control over your books ends once you hand them to ANYONE to touch and examine. But, care in handling submitted books is so obviously a priority in their line of work, that you should rest at ease that your copies are safe during the process. You're in more danger of damage when you hand them to the counterworker at the comics store.

CGC takes pains to protect all the comics that come into their care. They wear gloves and have clean workplaces with no exposed sharp edges or dripping liquids. What you should be concerned about is whether they wear glasses or not!!