• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC File Copies

21 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Moondog said:
15 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Did DC keep a specific number of file copies on each issue published ?  Always bound ? 

When I was given access to the DC vault in 1998 I saw no single issues - just bound volumes. 

Gary;

Any idea if these would have included all of the early and rare pre-hero DC books from the mid-30's time period?  

I thought that I had read either in an article or in an interview with Gary Carter that some of these books were so rare that even the DC Archives did not have them.  hm

11 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Thanks. Curious if you noticed that the issues were trimmed to fit the volumes they put them in ?

I didn't see any that were not trimmed.  All were standard bound volumes.  The Action 1- 12 was brittle and crumbling apart.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Gary;

Any idea if these would have included all of the early and rare pre-hero DC books from the mid-30's time period?  

I thought that I had read either in an article or in an interview with Gary Carter that some of these books were so rare that even the DC Archives did not have them.  hm

I did not see every volume of every title.  I was amazed at the perfect condition of the Fawcett bound volumes.  I may have been the first person to ever open Capt. Marvel Adventures 1-6.  The cover to 1 was so deep blue and glossy.  Incredible!

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Did you ask him if you could check out the copies of Action 1 and 'Tec 27 while you were there?  :bigsmile:

Of course i asked to see Action 1, Lou!  Like I mentioned above, it was brittle and crumbling apart...

11 hours ago, Moondog said:

I didn't see any that were not trimmed.  All were standard bound volumes.  The Action 1- 12 was brittle and crumbling apart.

Thanks Gary. All trimmed. Seemed it would have been easier to find larger bound holders to to put them in than to deal with all the trimming.  Wonder if people differentiate trimming for a situation like this as opposed to trying  to restore the books appearance ???

36 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Seemed it would have been easier to find larger bound holders to to put them in than to deal with all the trimming.

You give your comics to a book binder and they trim and bind.  They are used to trimming large packs of paper in prep for the binding and have the cutters that make it easy to do.

FYI, in case anyone cares Marvel did have a library of bound volumes.  I'm not sure how far they went back but they did (likely still do) have cool bound volumes in black law-library looking books.  They're pretty cool.  

1 hour ago, pmpknface said:

FYI, in case anyone cares Marvel did have a library of bound volumes.  I'm not sure how far they went back but they did (likely still do) have cool bound volumes in black law-library looking books.  They're pretty cool.  

Cool. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Marvel File Copy slabbed. Other publishers besides DC but not Marvel. 

16 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Golden age ?  See any big dollar books ( even silver ) 

I know they at least had silver age stuff.  It's was sort of a library so say if a writer was taking over a title he/she could go and read anything that happened previously.  It was actually someone's job to be the Marvel librarian.  The books had those little slips on the inside covers that you had to sign and everything.  

2 hours ago, pmpknface said:

I know they at least had silver age stuff.  It's was sort of a library so say if a writer was taking over a title he/she could go and read anything that happened previously.  It was actually someone's job to be the Marvel librarian.  The books had those little slips on the inside covers that you had to sign and everything.  

So cool !  Thanks !