• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon 2006

735 posts in this topic

I announced this over at comicbookconventions.com yesterday, but I thought I would post it here as well...

We have only 10 exhibitor (dealer) booths left for sale for next April's Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon. Dealer booths are 10 ft by 10 ft.

If you are interested in setting up as a dealer at this event please contact info@torontocomicon.com to receive an Exhibitor package* before it is too late.

*Please indicate whether you are Canadian or American when inquiring as the packages for US dealers also include information on crossing the border.

---------

Many US dealers are concerned about the red tape and paperwork involved in entering and leaving a different country - but it's actually quite easy if you are prepared in advance and we will help you as much as possible, and our broker will be able to help you with any questions that we cannot answer.

With the exchange rate between the two dollars so close, now is an excellent time to do business with Canadians.

Last year dealers like Harley Yee, Koop's Comics, Childhood Treasures, Superworld Comics, High Grade Comics and Steven Ritter made the trek up to the Great White North. This year, so far, they will be joined by Basement Comics and Neat Stuff Collectibles.

I had to explain this further over at Comic Book Conventions dot com, so I figure I might as well post the info here as well:

We have rented 58,000 square feet of space for the weekend. We get the floor plan of the hall from the Trade Centre and we then sit down and carve the space into units of space to sell and decide on how much the spaces will cost (figuring in stuff like width of aisles, etc.)

At some of these spaces stores and independant sellers will sell products like back issues and graphic novels and/or toys and so on, some spaces are for the guests to sit at and sign/sketch/meet fans, some spaces are for young creators to sell their own comics and meet the public, some spaces are for companies (publishers/manufacturers/distributors) to promote their new goods and get feedback on upcoming products/services.

Depending on the type of space and the location, we give each space a certain sized table and some chairs.

We have three types of space (tables) for sale:

1. For sellers...

Also described as Dealer Booths/tables. These are where people sell things like comic book back issues, graphic novels, toys, etc.

These booths currently start at $450 (Canadian dollars - about $375 US). And that includes a 10 foot by 10 foot space to set up as you please, an 8 foot table, chairs and exhibitor badges for you and your staff.

Please note: Corner spaces cost a little more as they are in high demand because they include an additional table and more actual selling frontage.

There are incentive price breaks if you book more than one exhibitor booth.

Also Note that on January 1st the prices go up to the final price of $500 Canadian/booth.

Now a one day show will sell you a regular table that you can sell stuff on.

At the Paradise Comicon it is somewhat similar to that model, but we follow the design of most trade shows (and comic book shows like the Wizard cons) and what we sell you is a block of space on the exhibit hall floor and provide you with the basics - an 8 foot table, chairs (corner tables get an additional table).

As a seller/dealer/exhibitor you can use that space and set it up traditionally - a table with stuff on top to sell - maybe a rack with more expensive comics behind, and maybe some boxes on the floor under the table. Or you can use as much of the 10 ft by 10 ft space as possible and move the table around - even bring in your own additional table(s) (or rent them from our table provider), or set up an enclosure system with racks, etc. Essentially it's your ten feet squared to do with as you will.

These spots currently work out to being $450 for the weekend (about $150 a day) that the convention is open to the public.

We also can arrange for power, additional lights, etc. with the facility. These cost extra - details are in the exhibitor guide.

2. For independant creators...

We call these 6 foot by 6 foot spaces collectively (as other comicons do) as our Artist Alley area. These are for comic book creators to show their works, sell their independantly produced comics, etc. and/or for clubs to promote their services. These we try to keep cheap (around $100 right now for the weekend).

3. For publishers and companies...

We call these 10 feet by 10 feet spaces our Corporate Area. These spaces have skirted tables and drapered divider walls behind them. These we sell at a set price of $500 Canadian.

----------------

And the money we get from selling all of the spaces is collected and used to pay for the convention hall rental, the cost of renting all of these tables and chairs, audio/visual equipment for panels and presentations, pay for a bonded SECURITY company for the show (including overnight - it is an entire weekend after all), and the costs of flying in and putting up all of these great guests for the weekend that will get people to come and check out the show.

All that being said, if you are someone who just has a few boxes of comics to sell, and you don't need a lot of space (like no more than 1 6 foot table), and you don't have a rack or anything like that, then I would really suggest you contact us at info@torontocomicon.com or by phone at 416-487-9807 and we'll see what we can do for you.

Thanks,

Kevin

www.torontocomicon.com

Time for my weekly update of the guest list (couldn't do it last night):

New additions include Arthur Dela Cruz (Oni's KISSING CHAOS & 360jam's THE INSIDERS) and Neelam Aroroa, Eva Hopkins (who works with Joe Linsner) and Jason Yungbluth.

LAST UPDATED DECEMBER 7th:

ABEL, Jessica

ADORJANY, Attila

ALPHONA, Adrian

ANDRASOFSKY, Kalman

ARORA, Neelam

AZAD

AZZARELLO, Brian

BELL-LUNDY, Sandra

BOND, Shelly

BONE, J.

BRUTON, Heather

CHANTLER, Scott

CHMAKOVA, Svetlana

CLOONAN, Becky

COLT, Saul

CONNER, Amanda

COOKE, Darwyn

COUGHLER, Rob

CRAINE, Nick

DANNYS, Rich

DARK ONE, The

DAVIDSON, Pat

DAWSON, Willow

DELA CRUZ, Arthur

DORAN, Colleen

EAGLESHAM, Dale

FAWKES, Ray

FOWLER, Tom

FRADON, Ramona

GERARD, Shannon

GOGUEN, Chas

GRUMMETT, Tom

HARRIS, Tony

HOPKINS, Eva

IENCO, Raffaele

JIMENEZ, Phil

JONES, Gerard

JONES, J.G.

KIRSHENBLATT, Shane (Freefall Entertainment)

KASMAN, Ron

KIM, Eric

LEE, Andy

LEE, Stan (by Video Conference)

LEMIRE, Jeff (Ashtray Press)

LENK, Stef

LILLIE-PAETZ, Ken

LINSNER, Joseph Michael

MACHNICKI, Alana

MANAPUL, Francis

MARINKOVICH, Nick

MCCARTHY, Tyrone

MCLEOD, Kagan

MOHAMMED, Matthew (Rorschach Press)

MOONEY, Scott

MOTTER, Dean

MULVIHILL, Patricia

ORDOLIS, Jim

PALMIOTTI, Jimmy

PARK, Jason (DMF Comics)

PEACOCK, Michael

PEREZ, George

PEREZ, Ramon K.

PERKINS, Alex

PICCOLO, Rina

POSTIC, Nick

POWELL, Eric

RANKIN, Ted (aka Thadeus Maximus)

RANKIN, Zen

REPOVSKI, Peter

RICHTER, Shawn

RIVOCHE, Paul

ROSS, Dave

RUCKA, Greg

SAYGER, Stuart

SCHUTZ, Diana

SCOTT, Nicola

SEVERIN, Marie

SIM, Dave

SIMONE, Gail

SOMA, Taki

SPARACIO, Mark

STEPHENS, Jay

STEWART, Cameron

SUYDAM, Arthur

SZEWCZUK, Alex

TAILLEFER, Craig

TAMBLYN, Diana

TELGEMEIER, Raina

TEMPLETON, Ty

THOMPSON, Jill

TORRES, J.

TUAZON, Noel

VAN SCIVER, Ethan

WALTON, Rob

WARD, Sean

WITTERSTAETTER, Renee

WOLFE, Marc

YUNGBLUTH, Jason

ZAJAC, Richard

ZDARSKY, Chip

...and many more... watch for updates!

Of course we're still waiting to hear from our announced (and unannounced) Publishers like TOP COW, SPEAKEASY & UDON as to which creators will be signing at their booths.

On top of that ACTOR usually has a couple of surprises in store for us!

Sorry if this is an off beat post but...

What's the cost of getting in for a day?

Also, at this show, do people dress up in costumes and stuff?

Finally, do the companies exhibiting, give out trinkets (like at a car show)

Just asking. I went to the NY Comicon just last month (second show ever) and was hugely disappointed.

Hey RaccoonRaccoon,

Let me try to answer each of your questions individually:

>What's the cost of getting in for a day?

Cost is about $15 (canadian) for a day. We have weekend pass rates as well, and discounted rates for students. Young children get in for free (currently it's 10 and under, but I'm thinking of changing that).

> Also, at this show, do people dress up in costumes and stuff?

We haven't had a lot of people dress up in costumes before. But we do have a sponsor who is working on getting together a Friday night costume party and contest with prizes, etc. So we want to encourage more people to dress up.

> Finally, do the companies exhibiting, give out trinkets (like at a car show)

Sometimes they do. Usually we get a bunch of freebies and trinkets from the movie studios which we put out on a table by the entrance for fans. The publishers often have promotional posters and bookmarks, etc. at their booths. Each publisher is different.

We will also have some Comicon exclusive cover comic books that will be available for sale only at the show.

>Just asking. I went to the NY Comicon just last month (second show ever) and was hugely disappointed.

You mean the Big Apple National con? I was there as well.

I've had many people say that our Paradise Comics Toronto Comicon is very similar in feel to more comic-centric conventions like Baltimore, Heroes Con and the Emerald City Comicon.

What was the other show that you attended?

Thanks for the response, Kevin!

I used to collect comics in the 80's to early 90's, then left the hobby. I just got back in 6 months ago and started to buy. I actually purchased my first CGC book from Paradise, via Ebay (ASM vol 2 #38 CGC 9.6 sig. series by JMS).

The other comic convention I went to was the other Big Apple Comicon back in Sept. or so. I guess it was my own fault, I thought it would be like a car show, but itwas more like a flea market. Anyway, I was kind of disappointed.

I also want to come to TO (Toronto) to check out the store. I love TO, im from NYC and TO is my 2nd favorite citi.

I'm sure the guys and gals at Paradise (Peter, Doug, Audri, Sarrah & Christian) would be tickled if you dropped by the store.

Yeah, the Big Apple show in September would be a smaller version of what they did in November.

I think you will be in for a treat in February, when that New York Comic-Con rolls into town. I will definitely be there for that one so if you end up going you should drop by the CGC booth and say hello. I'll be there accepting submissions for Signature Series there, and Peter will be around getting signatures for his customers.

But, just a warning, most comic book shows do have that flea market feel to some extent. However, the Big Apple shows tend to have a looser, more haphazard organizational style than most other cons do. But I love New York City and I have a lot of friends there so I have a good time at those cons because of the people.

We are actually holding our show in a new convention facility this year, so it should look a lot more like a trade show than we have in previous years.

New additions include: Eva Hopkins (who works with Joe Linsner) and Jason Yungbluth.

Those two aren't listed on the website yet.

Of course we're still waiting to hear from our announced (and unannounced) Publishers like TOP COW, SPEAKEASY & UDON as to which creators will be signing at their booths.

I would assume Francis Manapul will be at the Top Cow booth. Hope to see more names for these Publishers.

On top of that ACTOR usually has a couple of surprises in store for us!

Great guest list to ask creators to sign at the ACTOR booth for a couple hours. C'mon J.G. Jones & George Perez. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif That would be sweet!

I haven't had a chance to update the site yet since yesterday morning.

Not sure if Francis will be at Top Cow booth this time out. There are plans for a corporate booth for ComicArtLinks.com - where Francis Manapul, Adrian Alphona and Kalman Adrasofsky will be setting up and signing/sketching. This booth will have some of their original art, sketchbooks, prints, etc. for sale.

So I'm not sure who will be at Top Cow... yet. There's a good chance that a Comicon regular will be there (he's hard to get a hold of), and I know of at least one other TC creator that wants to come. Jim McLauchlin will be there.

George has already said that he would like to set up at the ACTOR booth for the entire weekend! So it will likely be George Perez & more at ACTOR all weekend.

Ahh, ComicArtLinks. Makes sense that the three of them would be there.

Is the Top Cow creator you're talking about (that's hard to get a hold of), Dale Keown? Curious to know who the other TC creator that wants to come.

And George at ACTOR for the entire weekend? That sounds great!

That would be a good guess.

Just added about two minutes ago:

Bryan Lee O'Malley (Scott Pilgrim) and Hope Larson (Gray Horses).

(Both Scott Pilgrim and Gray Horses are published by Oni Press).

Bryan and Hope's appearance at Comicon are co-sponsored by The Beguiling.

It's going to be COLOSSAL!

It's Tuesday... time for a guest list recap:

Most recent additions are in bold.

Guests

LAST UPDATED DECEMBER 13th:

ABEL, Jessica

ADORJANY, Attila

ALPHONA, Adrian

ANDRASOFSKY, Kalman

ARORA, Neelam

AZAD

AZZARELLO, Brian

BELL-LUNDY, Sandra

BOND, Shelly

BONE, J.

BRUTON, Heather

CHANTLER, Scott

CHMAKOVA, Svetlana

CHIU, Bobby

CLOONAN, Becky

COLT, Saul

CONNER, Amanda

COOKE, Darwyn

COUGHLER, Rob

CRAINE, Nick

DANNYS, Rich

DARK ONE, The

DAVIDSON, Pat

DAWSON, Willow

DELA CRUZ, Arthur

DORAN, Colleen

EAGLESHAM, Dale

FAWKES, Ray

FOWLER, Tom

FRADON, Ramona

GERARD, Shannon

GOGUEN, Chas

GRUMMETT, Tom

HARRIS, Tony

HETHERINGTON, Janet

HOPKINS, Eva

IENCO, Raffaele

JIMENEZ, Phil

JONES, Gerard

JONES, J.G.

KIRSHENBLATT, Shane (Freefall Entertainment)

KASMAN, Ron

KIM, Eric

LARSON, Hope

LEE, Andy

LEE, Stan (Note Change: Video Conference)

LEMIRE, Jeff - Ashtray Press

LENK, Stef

LILLIE-PAETZ, Ken

LINSNER, Joseph Michael

MACHNICKI, Alana

MANAPUL, Francis

MARINKOVICH, Nick

MCCARTHY, Tyrone

MCLEOD, Kagan

MOHAMMED, Matthew (Rorschach Press)

MOONEY, Scott

MOTTER, Dean

MULVIHILL, Patricia

O'MALLEY, Bryan Lee

ORDOLIS, Jim

PALMIOTTI, Jimmy

PARK, Jason (DMF Comics)

PEACOCK, Michael

PEREZ, George (GUEST OF HONOUR)

PEREZ, Ramon K.

PERKINS, Alex

PICCOLO, Rina

POSTIC, Nick

POWELL, Eric

RANKIN, Ted (aka Thadeus Maximus)

RANKIN, Zen

REPOVSKI, Peter

RICHTER, Shawn

RIVOCHE, Paul

ROSS, Dave

RUCKA, Greg

SAYGER, Stuart

SCHUTZ, Diana

SCOTT, Nicola

SEVERIN, Marie

SIM, Dave

SIMONE, Gail

SOMA, Taki

SOO, Kean

SPARACIO, Mark

STEPHENS, Jay

STEWART, Cameron

SUTTON, Ron

SUYDAM, Arthur

SZEWCZUK, Alex

TAILLEFER, Craig

TAMBLYN, Diana

TELGEMEIER, Raina

TEMPLETON, Ty

THOMPSON, Jill

TORRES, J.

TUAZON, Noel

VAN SCIVER, Ethan

WALTON, Rob

WARD, Sean

WITTERSTAETTER, Renee

WOLFE, Marc

YUNGBLUTH, Jason

ZAJAC, Richard

ZDARSKY, Chip

...and many more... watch for updates!

www.torontocomicon.com

The LARGEST, the most DIVERSE, the most INTERESTING guest list for a Comic Book Show in Southern Ontario in 2006. Period.

It's Tuesday... usually time for a guest list recap/update, but I don't think I'll have another one for you until the new year. We'll have lots of great announcements to make about guests and specific happenings at the show over the first few months of the new year as things get finalized.

----

SHUSTER AWARDS 2006

Things are gearing up for the 2006 Shuster Awards. Nominating Committee selection is being finalized, and they start deliberating in January. It's been another great year for Canadian comics, and I'm sure our Committee will have their work cut out for them. The 2006 nominees will be finalized by early February.

Hall of Fame Inductees are currently being selected and may be finalized as early as mid-January 2006.

Incidentally, if you want to nominate a Canadian comic shop for the Harry Kremer Outstanding Canadian Comic Book Retailer Award, go to www.shusterawards.com and read the nomination rules. Any comic book store that has been in business for more than a few years is eligible. Unlike the other awards, this award will be decided by a jury of Canadian comic book journalists and publishers. Retailers are judged by a specific set of criteria (all of which is detailed on the Shuster website).

Wishing you a safe and happy holiday weekend!

Kevin

Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! Thanks for making 2005 our best year yet. We'll make sure 2006 tops it.

Peter Dixon

Paradise Comics

Peter,

All the best to you and Doug at Paradise, and thanks for helping me nail so many good books over the years. Hope things are well, and I'll see you next time I'm in Toronto on business.

All the best from Newfoundland

Brian Sheppard

PS... I desperately need copies of GI Combat #141, Our Army at War #286, and Weird War #19 in 9.2 or better (raw or slabbed). If you see them in your travels please let me know. Take care!