• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’m surprised this book got a cgc 9.8
2 2

20 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

Live and learn. I would have thought this staple being messed up would not make it a 9.8... I was pretty disappointed when I received the book.

D0162097-9701-4D71-A4D2-67B10C0E831E.png

I agree, this should NOT be a 9.8 . It's possible CGC considered it bindery and let it go or they just plain missed it or it got damaged in the encapsulation room. I have to ask, how did you miss this when buying it ? It's painfully, in your face obvious.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree, this should NOT be a 9.8 . It's possible CGC considered it bindery and let it go or they just plain missed it or it got damaged in the encapsulation room. I have to ask, how did you miss this when buying it ? It's painfully, in your face obvious.

Like the Tread Topic says, I’m a newbi. I thought paying a perimuim on cgc 9.8 I wouldn’t have to look over the book too closely (like I said live and learn). As for CGC missing it, I doubt it. It was the first thing I noticed when I received it. The seller on eBay should have noted it but he did not but he did have a picture of the book. You have to zoom in very close to see it though (the picture I posted), I didn’t think I had to do such a thing on cgc 9.8. :-(

1 minute ago, dcampbell07 said:

Like the Tread Topic says, I’m a newbi. I thought paying a perimuim on cgc 9.8 I wouldn’t have to look over the book too closely (like I said live and learn). As for CGC missing it, I doubt it. It was the first thing I noticed when I received it. The seller on eBay should have noted it but he did not but he did have a picture of the book. You have to zoom in very close to see it though (the picture I posted), I didn’t think I had to do such a thing on cgc 9.8. :-(

The 9.8 grade does NOT take into account the eye appeal of the book. A book can have a horrible miswrap, or a dangling corner chip, many things that most of us would consider not acceptable but CGC allows it in 9.8 . I agree that a 9.8 book should look perfect to the naked eye but it's simply not so. All 9.8's are not created equal. Next time look at the book closely before buying ! :baiting:

The 9.8 grade does NOT take into account the eye appeal of the book. A book can have a horrible miswrap, or a dangling corner chip, many things that most of us would consider not acceptable but CGC allows it in 9.8 . I agree that a 9.8 book should look perfect to the naked eye but it's simply not so. All 9.8's are not created equal. Next time look at the book closely before buying ! :baiting:

Looks great other than that haha

76057B6A-6960-4289-A95D-808FE030CAFA.png

Actually, I don't like the looks of this book in the slab. Notice how the top edge of the cover is above the interior pages AND the interior pages are protruding below the bottom edge. This indicates the cover is 'sticking' to the inner well while the rest of the book is sliding down from gravity. This puts pressure on the top staple. IMO, you should send this book back. The following thread references this situation somewhere in the conversation.....

Actually, I don't like the looks of this book in the slab. Notice how the top edge of the cover is above the interior pages AND the interior pages are protruding below the bottom edge. This indicates the cover is 'sticking' to the inner well while the rest of the book is sliding down from gravity. This puts pressure on the top staple. IMO, you should send this book back. The following thread references this situation somewhere in the conversation.....

Sounds like I have a lot to learn... The seller doesn’t accept returns which should have been a red flag I guess... it might be worth a shot though to email them.

43 minutes ago, dcampbell07 said:

Sounds like I have a lot to learn... The seller doesn’t accept returns which should have been a red flag I guess... it might be worth a shot though to email them.

It's not really a red flag because most sellers I've seen state that in the sale desc.  I thought I read a few with the reason why that's the case, something to do with a third party grading the book or what not, I can't remember.  I'm just guessing they got burned by too many people who got buyer's remorse in a market with alot of arbitrary prices at times.

Still I'm a little annoyed the seller wasn't up front with that dent, now that is a little shady.  You should still contact them about it and see if they are willing to refund tho, your case sounds reasonable.

Edited by Sky1

5 minutes ago, Sky1 said:

It's not really a red flag because most sellers I've seen state that in the sale desc.  I thought I read a few with the reason why that's the case, something to do with a third party grading the book or what not, I can't remember.  I'm just guessing they got burned by too many people who got buyer's remorse in a market with alot of arbitrary prices at times.

Still I'm a little annoyed the seller wasn't up front with that dent, now that is a little shady.

To be even more clear, the no refund policy is usually from a business, private sellers rarely say that.  Just don't let that deter you from buying a book, if you have doubts, just ask them from here on out.

Edited by Sky1

7 hours ago, Sky1 said:

Still I'm a little annoyed the seller wasn't up front with that dent, now that is a little shady.  You should still contact them about it and see if they are willing to refund tho, your case sounds reasonable.

Thanks for the support.  I emailed him and he wouldn't accept a return so I asked eBay for a refund.  Fingers crossed...

Edited by dcampbell07

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This does appear to be a case where a return would be justified. Good eye, Bomber-Bob...

1 hour ago, dcampbell07 said:

I thought the whole point of putting a book in a slab was so I wouldn't have to worry about such things haha! Ugh...

Tell me about it!  Truth be told, I'm more stressed putting the books in a slab with how much care is needed with them. lol

Don't get me started on how I get when someone asks to look at them.

I disagree with the general consensus. As far as the staple goes, it's a judgement call...a "welll...ehhhh..."

If it bothers you, then you should make a point of asking about things like that before purchasing. 

That said, it's not a "9.8 killer" defect. You're talking about an incredibly high speed machine pumping out thousands of stapled books an hour. It happens. I've seen many, many books...especially mid 80s books like this, as World Color in Sparta was starting to decline...with bent staples. So long as the rest of the book is fine, it's a "slider."

As far as the "protruding pages" goes, again, not a problem. This looks like the "flat inner well" type, and essentially squashes the book between the two layers. If you notice, the inner pages are slightly askew to the cover, which results in them sticking out slight at the top right vertical and bottom right horizontal edges. That is probably the natural way the book sits. If it bothers you, you can try GENTLY, GENTLY tapping the opposing side of the slab, at the point of "greatest protrusion", and see if the pages settle back into a more square situation.

But do it GENTLY. And if it doesn't work, leave it as is.