• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saving the Hobby - This is the Answer

93 posts in this topic

>>BTW JoeC.. I got you on that language thing. my boy spoke like yul brenner at a young age and imitated EVERYTHING. so unless I wanted to be embarrased at the holidays with a gasp of profanity I learned quickly that Imitation is NOT the sincerest form of flattery.

It didn;t take me long to get the picture and I have the bruises to prove it. I knew kids are imitators, but I had no idea that it really only occurs with the people they interact with the most.

My brother-in-law used to make comments about how he wouldn't be so soft, just let the kids see and do what they wanted, and not be a protective parent.. then he had a little boy and he's the biggest sap ever. grin.gif

Divine retribution or something like it.

>>Actually, I do take it as an insult.

It's only natural, and I've felt the same way myself. I think it's part of human nature to try and extrapolate what we haven't experienced, especially something as utterly scary as child-rearing.

If you believed what I say, then you wouldn't be acting human.

It's like a woman's studies course I had to take (needed a business org credit and it qualified) and in the midst of a debate, on swarmy female asked me what I knew about being female. I thought about it, and had to admit to myself I knew absolutely nothing about it, though I'd never give her the satisfaction. grin.gif

Honestly, I don't remember the most formative years, from 0 to 2 years of age, and I don't believe anyone has solid memories of that time, or else as psychologists attest, they're lying through their teeth.

And as for comparing my own childhood to my kid's, that's an impossibility, since times have changed so radically to make any comparison irrelevant. For example, I can remember having free rein of the TV as a kid (pretty sedate programming), something my parents would hypothetically never let me have now, nor do they let their grandkids do it either.

>>You are too slanted to one side. The proper and honest response to such an inane question is "what do you know about being male?" And not being sarcastic either.

I'll remember that.... if I ever catch her in a male studies course.

If I stated that while debating "Women and Politics", my 'nads would be up for auction.

since times have changed so radically to make any comparison irrelevant.

Actually the times have not changed much at all. This is one of the great fallacies of our day. So far from the truth. Not a heck of a lot worse is happening now than happened when I was growing up in the 50's. Just that the news media is more ready to report it. But if you think times have actually changed in our lifetime you have a major education coming to you.

(edited for a couple of typos)

To repeat for the overly literal-minded:

For example, I can remember having free rein of the TV as a kid (pretty sedate programming), something my parents would hypothetically never let me have now, nor do they let their grandkids do it either.

Media, media, media. HBO, Playboy, CNN, The Internet

Not "Life and Times" or human evolution/behavior.

To repeat for the overly literal-minded:

and

Media, media, media. HBO, Playboy, CNN, The Internet

For the overly-single-minded. Do you really think that TV is the main problem? Jeeze - get a parental lock or, if not available, stop subscribing. What I am saying is that the world of my 50's childhood and the world of the 2000+ childhood hold the EXACTsame things. REAL things - things that can happen to kids - not some [!@#%^&^] you see on TV. THAT is what you should really be focussing on.

Dammit, geeks! Let's get this back on-topic! Now, like I've said several times before: the way to save the comic collecting hobby is to either banish all the turbo-nerds who populate the comic shops........ OR........ MAKEOVERS FOR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can do it on one of those crappy makeover shows on one of the girly channels! I'm envisioning highlights, manicures, and Stridex (oh, so much Stridex) all the way around! Then, it's on to wardrobe! No more Spider-Man t-shirts stretched to ridiculous proportions struggling to conceal your bloated bellies, no more highwater acid-washed jeans (still stained with yesterday's breakfast burrito droppings)... ah, it will be a brand new day for comic collectors everywhere!