• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wanted Superman 199 (first race) in 9.4 or 9.6

41 posts in this topic

my brother and i each had one...a 9.0 and a 9.2 - only book that i regret selling....more than my GL 76 9.4 - this was early in the CGC origins and I figured i would come across another one.....never did...i don't think Greggy ever replaced his either.

yay.gif Woohoo! yay.gif Although Photobucket resized it frustrated.gif

Anyway, please note the little colour break below and to the right of Superman's left foot. Other than that, at this distance from the monitor, I can see very little wrong with it. I've seen an Iron Man 1 CGC 8.5 that was definitely worse, but of course, that doesn't make this book a 9. smile.gif

Mmmm, grading... 893censored-thumb.gif

my brother and i each had one...a 9.0 and a 9.2 - only book that i regret selling....more than my GL 76 9.4 - this was early in the CGC origins and I figured i would come across another one.....never did...i don't think Greggy ever replaced his either.

This isn't making me inclined to part with mine! 27_laughing.gif Using the twin titans of ebay and google, the nicest copy I could find recently was a hideous 8.0 from showcase new england:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74&item=6541117088&rd=1

And the only reference to a VF+ was from Metropolis in October 2001, when they sold one for $250. I didn't realise it was such a tough book. I know there aren't -that- many HG copies in the census, but dealers have repeatedly told me (here in the UK at least) that Marvel collectors outnumber DC collectors by about 9:1, so I assumed there would be enough to go round...not for the first time, I appear to have been completely wrong. insane.gif

Thanks for the info, I am starting to realize this is going to be ALOT tougher then I thought. frown.gif

Superman #199 is a very tough book to find in high grade. I once had a seller string me on for weeks about a nice copy he had. I finally pinned him down to bring it to a show and when I turned up he told me he just sold it a few minutes earlier to a buyer who offered him more than his asking price and he thought I wouldn't match it!

Anyway, in the end I bought the Oakland copy from "Vincent's Collectables" in the late 1990s and I have been very pleased with it.