• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I seem to be losing interest again........
3 3

102 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, the blob said:

You haven't solved the me getting in for free part.

Have someone create a distraction then BOOM-you're in.

Just now, the blob said:

Some of those people checking passes are nutso. They probably have drones to nuke you if you sneak in.

find someone with a huge cosplay harley quinn hammer and slip inside the hammer.

35 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Is DFW a term?  Dallas / Fort Worth is probably what it means but never heard DFW used before.

Yes DFW is a term used frequently here, and yes it does stand for Dallas/Fort worth :whee: most commonly used when describing the metroplex :foryou: 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Yes DFW is a term used frequently here, and yes it does stand for Dallas/Fort worth :whee: most commonly used when describing the metroplex :foryou: 

I've also saw people using FTW for fort worth.  That one confused me a bit.

1 minute ago, kav said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I've also saw people using FTW for fort worth.  That one confused me a bit.

lol that one would confuse me too, I haven't heard that one either. I've heard "Big-D" referring to Dallas, I guess Fort Worth needs something too.....

On 9/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, Get Marwood & I Are Not Dead said:

You'll have to change your name to 'wasafan' :p

LOL, I'm sure no one on here wants to read the bitter rants of a has-been collector bemoaning the uselessness of the collecting endeavor.  I think we have enough naysayers and doom and gloom debbie downers on here.  Nah, if in the near future I decide to stop collecting altogether cold turkey style my presence on here will quietly fade away leaving my handle to be purged by the mods after some determined time of inactivity or when my CGC membership lapses. 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

lol that one would confuse me too, I haven't heard that one either. I've heard "Big-D" referring to Dallas, I guess Fort Worth needs something too.....

My buddy on facebook kept talking about FTW this and FTW that I was like WTF

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I get it, especially with the music. Part of it may just be that I'm "getting old", but honestly, the music just isn't as good, right? It's not just me, right? Please?

The only music I buy much anymore are soundtracks on vinyl, but that really ties into my movie collecting more than music collecting. Just love those multi-colored vinyl releases. But even that seems like a chore at times.

Having to compete with nonsense image full sleeve tattooed bearded black framed glasses young hipster dudes for records at the now crowded shops- almost worse than trying to go through back issue bins listening to damn wiener MTG nerds argue in nasal voices at the LCS.We are getting older friend,everything post 1995 SUCKS

297.png

Edited by porcupine48
mind your business.

18 hours ago, the blob said:

It's funny, my 13 year old is borderline obsessed with 80s music, which I suspect isn't the "good old days" music you are thinking of.

I was a kid in the 80's, so that would definitely be the good old days to me!

17 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Having to compete with nonsense image full sleeve tattooed bearded black framed glasses young hipster dudes for records at the now crowded shops- almost worse than trying to go through back issue bins listening to damn wiener MTG nerds argue in nasal voices at the LCS.We are getting older friend,everything post 1995 SUCKS

297.png

I'm with you bud, let's yell at that cloud together!

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I was a kid in the 80's, so that would definitely be the good old days to me!

He is constantly singing toto's africa. Meanwhile the 6 year old can't get enough Master of puppets. (The 13 year old does like Crazy Train at least). 

Edited by the blob

10 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I can see how people can lose interest in collecting comics these days.   This is likely a result of many factors, however, $$$$ may be the biggest contributor to the decline in interest of many collectors.  

I too plan to attend the Baltimore Con tomorrow and the NY con next weekend and I am not sure why.    I remember the days when I went to conventions with $60 and came home with several books.   Now, I plan to go to the convention tomorrow with at least $2K in cash and I am betting I will come home with most of that unspent and maybe no books at all  

The cost of books have become crazy the past few years.   It used to be that if you spent 4 figures on a book, you were getting something special.  5 figures and you were “the man”. Now, it seems like books that I wouldn’t even want in my collection are often well into the mid 4 figure range.  

It makes it kind of difficult to stay enthusiastic, when you really want a book, put in a solid bid (well over what you expect it to go for) at auction, and lose.   

It is even more discouraging to go to conventions where everything is marked crazy high so that the dealer has room to negotiate.  I don’t want to negotiate; I want to buy a book at a fair price (a price at which the seller can make a reasonable profit and make a decent living without gougimg every penny from the buyer). 

I don’t know.   I still collect and still love when I can find and buy a book I am actively looking for (or just one that catches my eye), however, today’s market is making it a bit more difficult to have those positive buying days.  

:hi: Hudson. I can help you go to the con with more money :whee:

6 minutes ago, woowoo said:

:hi: Hudson. I can help you go to the con with more money :whee:

Thanks, Harold.  

Word on on the street is  that you still go to cons with $60 and expect to walk out with a stack of GA.  

:roflmao:

Edited by Hudson

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

I can see how people can lose interest in collecting comics these days.   This is likely a result of many factors, however, $$$$ may be the biggest contributor to the decline in interest of many collectors.  

I too plan to attend the Baltimore Con tomorrow and the NY con next weekend and I am not sure why.    I remember the days when I went to conventions with $60 and came home with several books.   Now, I plan to go to the convention tomorrow with at least $2K in cash and I am betting I will come home with most of that unspent and maybe no books at all  

The cost of books have become crazy the past few years.   It used to be that if you spent 4 figures on a book, you were getting something special.  5 figures and you were “the man”. Now, it seems like books that I wouldn’t even want in my collection are often well into the mid 4 figure range.  

It makes it kind of difficult to stay enthusiastic, when you really want a book, put in a solid bid (well over what you expect it to go for) at auction, and lose.   

It is even more discouraging to go to conventions where everything is marked crazy high so that the dealer has room to negotiate.  I don’t want to negotiate; I want to buy a book at a fair price (a price at which the seller can make a reasonable profit and make a decent living without gougimg every penny from the buyer). 

I don’t know.   I still collect and still love when I can find and buy a book I am actively looking for (or just one that catches my eye), however, today’s market is making it a bit more difficult to have those positive buying days.  

You need more Jo-Jos, though.

2 hours ago, Hudson said:

Thanks, Harold.  

Word on on the street is  that you still go to cons with $60 and expect to walk out with a stack of GA.  

:roflmao:

That's how it use to be and I would have lots of fun what happened hm

2 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Sometimes you need a break. As much as I adore my wife, occasionally, we take separate vacations. Does wonders. Maybe you need a break from comics. I took a 10-year break from comics back in the 90s, I still don't buy many books. But I enjoy what I have. 

Taking breaks is a good thing. As humans we always need a little time away...from anything we love.

Many collectors take breaks (if not most). I stopped collecting for a decade before jumping back in with both feet in the early 2000's..