• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Guidelines
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Being a new comic collector with an obsession for detail one of the first things I found and dived into is trying to learn how to grade the books I buy. Im having a difficult time finding solid grading guidelines and figured I would start a thread to see what everyone can come up with for links, guides or just general grading advise for serious new collectors. 

Please post any grading info/material for everyone to research and look over and if your a pro maybe check in here to answer questions from time to time. ( I did use the search function and couldn't find enough info on this )

Hello and Welcome To the Hobby and to the Boards.

Even though the grading standards are literally printed in " black and white" grading is very subjective, what one person see's another may not see (or choose to see).

Also, do not fall into the trap of "overgrading" your own books, people tend to look at their own books "Through Rose Colored Glasses".

The Overstreet Grading Guide is an excellent book to have to assist in grading with detailed pictures of each grade and the defects allowed for each grade.

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2016/dp/1603601996

Here are the Grading Standards with a Glossary of Terminology.

http://collectibleshop.tripod.com/overstreet-grading-definitions.htm

The other way to hone your Grading Skills is to frequent the "Please Grade My Book" Section and formulate your own grade for the book shown before reading what others have posted to see how close you are to what others have concluded.

Have Fun and Enjoy!!!

if you want some practice with your grading, you can grade your own books, then post pictures of them over in the 'Please Grade My Books' subforum, and get the opinions of other members, see how you match up.