• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dradake0110 More Jack Kirby autographs than anyone I know

104 posts in this topic

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

even these autographs look more legit than those kirby's lol 

Mickey-Mantle-Ted-Williams-ball.jpg

Goo thing mickey mantle had a delorean with a flux capacitor so he could sign a ball that wasnt even manufactured when he was alive!

6 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I'm curious.  What do you think the problem is with this one?

s-l1600.jpg

Lots of problems. Most curiously, why do all of his Kirbys have the same loopy 'k' in Jack? All of them. Sold listings too. You'd be hard pressed to find a few existing Kirbys with the same formation, even when signed at the same convention, same sitting, and all of his share that formation.

The whole thing is bad, the vibe, the angles, everything. But there are standouts.

A double edged sword. Can't go into fully to educate consumers without helping forgers perfect their craft by correcting obvious mistakes.

Also, seller states 1975. A huge red flag. Again, forgers most commo errors are pinning themselves down to a date, or dating an item.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Goo thing mickey mantle had a delorean with a flux capacitor so he could sign a ball that wasnt even manufactured when he was alive!

Geez, these are all awful! The Williams is even worse than the Mantle, if possible.

Edited by James J Johnson

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

So how many authentic Kirby signatures have you seen first hand?

Here's what I suggest. If you think they're good, for $150 or so or less, it's a good bargain. Buy one, send it to Beckett, or JSA, or Voldy for authentication and see for yourself. Put it to the test.

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Here's what I suggest. If you think they're good, for $150 or so or less, it's a good bargain. Buy one, send it to Beckett, or JSA, or Voldy for authentication and see for yourself. Put it to the test.

JSA would probly say its legit.

10 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Authentic ones? Yes. Seen plenty Seen plenty of forgeries too. These are examples of the latter.

I asked you how many authentic Kirby signatures you've seen.

At least now you'll be able to say 'one':  Signed in 1975, using a marker.

Kirbysig1.thumb.jpg.0087424b84b01f1ac25affb0830a5a3e.jpg:

Edited by namisgr

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

I've seen Mathewson signatures authenticated by JSA that had the T crossed from the wrong direction. But any decent auto auth. service should be able to nail these.

They authenticated an admiral nimitz signed 10 years after his death, authenticated a kato kaelin autograph as kate hudson when it was clear as day, and many many many other goofs.  One person stated he saw spence authenticating items without even looking at them.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=26228

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

As I stated, A world of difference. Don't you agree?

Kirby3.jpg

yep theyre not even close!  Not even close to close!

11 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I have no interest in acquiring books signed by Jack Kirby.  I own one already that the King signed for me personally.

It's all the empty pontification about a signature's authenticity or lack of same that bothers me.  I found one listed in the link you provided, and posted it here, then asked what was problematic about it.  It doesn't look all that different from an authentic Kirby signature to me, leaving me to believe that I have no idea whether it's real or fake, and it would help me to know precisely what about it leads you to your conclusion.  'Pencil' doesn't cut it, as the signature in question was clearly done in marker, and I've shown an example of a Kirby signature from that era done in marker.

14 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I asked you how many.

At least now you'll be able to say 'one':  Signed in 1975, using a marker.

Kirbysig1.thumb.jpg.0087424b84b01f1ac25affb0830a5a3e.jpg:

I never stated that I hadn't seen Kirby signatures signed in a specific medium in a whole bunch of years.

However, this is a nice one, and I'm sure I've seen this before. It looks very familiar. And it's unquestionably good.

This is not a 'stop and go' slow motion signature, and as stated, this is one f the many first 'k' variations that Kirby used in every year. The forgery's 'k's are all the same. An impossibility.

The flow here is perfect and the vibe is indicative of Kirby, start to finish. You can't forge something like this unless you've written his name 10,000 times, ad even then, there will be tells. There usually are in forgeries like his.

Again, you think his autos are legit? You're entitled to your opinion. You already know my opinion, which seems to be shared by most here. So now what? I'll tell you. I'm done here. On to the next caper.

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I have no interest in acquiring books signed by Jack Kirby.  I own one already that the King signed for me personally.

It's all the empty pontification about a signature's authenticity or lack of same that bothers me.  I found one listed in the link you provided, and posted it here, then asked what was problematic about it.  It doesn't look all that different from an authentic Kirby signature to me, leaving me to believe that I have no idea whether it's real or fake, and it would help me to know precisely what about it leads you to your conclusion.  'Pencil' doesn't cut it, as the signature in question was clearly done in marker, and I've shown an example of a Kirby signature from that era done in marker.

So you think the only problem I had with his Kirbys are pen or pencil? ??? 

Btw, his still looks like pencil to me, and there are some where the line backtracks upon itself, another red flag for authenticity.

11 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

So you think the only problem I had with his Kirbys are pen or pencil? ???

Since you jump all over without providing any specifics or apparent comprehension, let's try again:

1.  How many authentic Kirby signatures have you seen?  The answer provides a measure of the comparative knowledge base you use to draw conclusions about signatures of questionable authenticity.

2.  For the cover signature posted above, exactly what features lead you to conclude that it's a fake?

For all I know, you're right that the cover signature posted above is a fake, despite it looking quite like an authentic Kirby signature to a non-expert like me.  I'd like to understand how you drew that conclusion, by answering my two very clear and focused questions.

Edited by namisgr

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Since you jump all over without providing any specifics, let's try again:

1.  How many authentic Kirby signatures have you seen?  The answer provides a measure of the comparative knowledge base you use to draw conclusions about signatures of questionable authenticity.

2.  For the cover signature posted above, exactly what features lead you to conclude that it's a fake?

For all I know, you're right that the cover signature posted above is a fake.  I'd like to understand how you drew that conclusion, by answering my two very clear and focused questions.

Look at yours and look at his. A picture is worth 1000 words. In this case, it's worth 100,00o words of analysis. By posting your good one, you already bolstered my case. Just compare. My exemplar file of legit Kirbys is numbered up to 219. I'm at a point that I don't have to look at them anymore, I know Kirby that well, IMO.

Now, let's face facts. If you really wanted to trap me, if I didn't know what I was talking about, you could have posted a forgery. But you didn't, and I knew that immediately (that it was good), same as I knew that seller's Kirbys were no good. How? Just by looking.

You actually proved my case by posting yours. Yours and his were obviously signed by a different hand. Yours by Kirby, and his by probably the seller.

Again, the vibe on all of his are 100& wrong. The shakiness is ridiculous. Why we should even discuss details when the entire signature is obviously drawn in slow motion would be a moot point.

Yours is beautiful, because it's real and it's right for the period. His, is copied from a Dynamic Forces signature, a style that's 15 years after when it's supposedly signed.

I'm not going into inter-letter details. Why help forgers? Suffice it to say, look at yours and look at his. What commonalities do they share? Hint: None! Different hand. One is a legit mid 70s Kirby authentic sig. The other is a slowly drawn shaky forgery, copied from a Dynamic Forces signature, which IMO is not even done by Jack. There are others who share that opinion.

4 minutes ago, Philreal said:

2550451_Full_Rev.jpg?t=MTIvMjgvMjAxNyAzOjUyOjE2IFBN

Beautiful. And authentic. That's Kirby's track and his flow. Everything right, nothing wrong. Everything typical of Kirby's signing mechanics. Slight variations from the "norm" as we all have, but unquestionably Kirby. Again, let's compare:

Kirby1.jpg

Kirby2.jpg