• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is raw comic deterioration over time a good reason to slab?

44 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

I am not sure the paper needs to breath, however, I would say that the vacuum you want to seal your book in would need to have proper humidity.  

I know there was a thread a few years ago about people putting books in an airtight safe and ended up with rusty staples.   

Thoughts??

That safe could not have been airtight or else it had moisture when he sealed the safe.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

That safe could not have been airtight or else it had moisture when he sealed the safe.

I agree.  

That is my point.  

You don’t want any moisture in your airtight container or else the moisture has no where to go amd will cause you problems.  

1 minute ago, Hudson said:

I agree.  

That is my point.  

You don’t want any moisture in your airtight container or else the moisture has no where to go amd will cause you problems.  

You could put them dessicant packs in the slab!

9 hours ago, Hudson said:

Good question.

With great regret I say that I don’t think I will be alive 50 years from now, and so the “value” of my books at that time will not be as important to me; as my body decays at a much faster rate than those precious pieces of paper I spent way too much time and money collecting and preserving.  

Who knows for any of us... but thinking of any family left behind, as well as a basic duty I feel to be a good caretaker for comics, esp. the ones that don’t exist in great quantities !