• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conserved grades

7 posts in this topic

I haven't sent my two Golden Age comic books to CCS or other restoration service but I would like to see your insights or experiences about the conserved comic books.

Both books were damaged during shipping separately. Both books have split from the top to the top staples. I contacted both companies about sealing the splits. They said both will be conserved and graded.

I have All Top #14 and Wonder Comics #13. Do you think it is worth to have them conserved?

On 9/26/2018 at 6:21 PM, JollyComics said:

I haven't sent my two Golden Age comic books to CCS or other restoration service but I would like to see your insights or experiences about the conserved comic books.

Both books were damaged during shipping separately. Both books have split from the top to the top staples. I contacted both companies about sealing the splits. They said both will be conserved and graded.

I have All Top #14 and Wonder Comics #13. Do you think it is worth to have them conserved?

Depends on the cost of the conservation work, and the theoretical grade of the book afterwards.

23 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

Depends on the cost of the conservation work, and the theoretical grade of the book afterwards.

I just got the quote from CCS. It is cheaper than any of private restoration company included grading fee and pressing. It is very straightforward instead of using the third party.

Yes, it will be a conserved grade on each book.

If they were my books, I would just leave them as is. Actually I'd have them graded and slabbed and leave as is.  By your description, I would guess there is about a 3" split to the cover at the spine.  Books with a 3" split spine grade lower so sell for less. But conserved books sell for less too.  I doubt you are any  $$ ahead. Probably losing money on the deal. 

Get them slabbed and they are well protected, spine split should not get any worse. 

21 minutes ago, Tony S said:

If they were my books, I would just leave them as is. Actually I'd have them graded and slabbed and leave as is.  By your description, I would guess there is about a 3" split to the cover at the spine.  Books with a 3" split spine grade lower so sell for less. But conserved books sell for less too.  I doubt you are any  $$ ahead. Probably losing money on the deal. 

Get them slabbed and they are well protected, spine split should not get any worse. 

From a monetary perspective I would probably agree.

I would think 3" split is a fair amount, but if the cover is still on there, leave it alone. If the cover were detached at both staples that's another story. 

35 minutes ago, Tony S said:

For me, it would depend on whether it is a long term keeper and if I'm keeping it raw. I would want the split sealed if the answer to both questions is yes. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

6 hours ago, Tony S said:

That is a borderline decision as always.

5 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

For me, it would depend on whether it is a long term keeper and if I'm keeping it raw. I would want the split sealed if the answer to both questions is yes. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Those books become rare and rarer in next ten years. I am thinking about keeping them for a while until both are in high demand. Have them fixed and slabbed sooner is better until it is a good time to sell them.  I saw few Matt Baker romance books were conserved/slabbed that sold well recently.