• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temple of Doom (1956)
1 1

21 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackhawk-98-Quality-Silver-Age-1956-Comic-Book-FN-FN/273004961270?hash=item3f905d1df6:g:~-gAAOSwmwtaSXO7 

Always wondered about this. I'm unable t find any literary references to a "Temple of Doom" prior to the Temple of Doom of Indiana Jones fame except from this book.

Has anyone ever encountered any historic/literary references to a "Temple of Doom" prior to this Blackhawk #98 in 1956?

Blackhawk98.jpg

2 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Spielberg would have been 10 or so when that was published, and is a well-known fan of the series.  Very cool...

I guess Blackkawk was one of the top comic book franchises during Spielberg`s youth.

According to wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhawk_(DC_Comics)

At the height of his popularity in the early 1940s, Blackhawk titles routinely outsold every other comic book but Superman.[2] Blackhawk also shares the unique distinction of being just one of four comic book characters to be published continuously in his own title from the 1940s through the 1960s (the others being Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman).The comic series has spawned a film serial, a radio series, a novel and a future Steven Spielberg-produced feature film.

6 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackhawk-98-Quality-Silver-Age-1956-Comic-Book-FN-FN/273004961270?hash=item3f905d1df6:g:~-gAAOSwmwtaSXO7 

Always wondered about this. I'm unable t find any literary references to a "Temple of Doom" prior to the Temple of Doom of Indiana Jones fame except from this book.

Has anyone ever encountered any historic/literary references to a "Temple of Doom" prior to this Blackhawk #98 in 1956?

Blackhawk98.jpg

I want to read this now.

That would be crazy if the Indiana Jones movies were inspired by this comic book series that most people forgot about.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

11 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I want to read this now.

That would be crazy if the Indiana Jones movies were inspired by this comic book series that most people forgot about.

The Indiana Jones movies were inspired by all sorts of cool old things: classic movie serials of the '30s and '40s, pulp fiction, Carl Barks's Uncle Scrooge stories, H. Rider Haggard's Allan Quatermain, etc., etc.

If Spielberg "borrowed" anything from this particular comic book, it was probably just the title for the 2nd film...

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

You can almost hear the Indiana Jones main them playing as he swings through the air on this cover!

Indy's fighting Russians, this time!

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I wonder is MGA 89 had any influence on the concept for the "Blair Monster from John Carpenter's 1982 Thing?

thing.png

MGA89.png

He copied!!