• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Baltimore Convention 2018
3 3

129 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I bought 3 magazine boxes of books.

Nice!  Glad to see there was books to grab.

Edited by 1Cool

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Any dealer info floating around?  Smaller guys do ok?

This baltimore was our best baltimore by 2x

i heard everyone did fantastic. Not a single complaint from the vendors I talked to and most said it was among their best show ever at this venue 

mileage may vary as I rarely got to venture from my booth 

Edited by G.A.tor

Just now, G.A.tor said:

This baltimore was our best baltimore by 2x

i heard everyone did fantastic. Not a single complaint and most said it was their best show ever at this venue o

mileage may vary as I rarely got to venture from my booth 

Nice - Congrats!  Silver keys are blistering hot right now so I can imagine you were busy every day.  I'll have to check with Murphman to see how he did this year since I know we both had a rough one a couple years ago.

21 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I believe Glen had a very good show,  could be the other guy he had in the booth wasn't there this year

Great glad to hear - Glen is good people.  I think we both were light on the key books that one year and for this Con it seemed like you either had the keys or needed to be blowing books out at bulk prices.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

Great glad to hear - Glen is good people.  I think we both were light on the key books that one year and for this Con it seemed like you either had the keys or needed to be blowing books out at bulk prices.

Wasn't exactly what I saw when I went through Glen's inventory.

He has some nice books where with the discount you could make some money selling them.

I didn't buy keys from him,  I bought some very nice inventory stock and some cool CGC books.

Grade well,  price fairly and don't be afraid to discount and you can make money.

Not directed at you but If you cannot make money in today's market you really don't know what you are doing.  

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Nice!  Glad to see there was books to grab.

Grab tends to mean to me that the guy was giving them away.

I don't "grab" books,  I buy them and hope that the transaction is "fair" to the both of us where in the future he will sell me more books.

The one bad interaction I had was either a dealer not understanding how pedigrees and gpa worked, or was trying to scam me massively. 

I wont say the dealer (I honestly dont remember his name, but I remember the book so someone could probably figure it out if I got specific). 

I asked about a War cover GA Nedor in 7.5 slabbed by the competition. He told me it was $4000, and that was "under GPA" cause one that was just "one grade higher" had recently sold for almost $6k.

Now the problem? I knew the book he was referencing that had sold for $6k and was just "one grade higher" 

Sure it was one grade higher (an 8.0) but it was also AN OKAJIMA PEDIGREE!

I thanked him for showing me the book and said I'd think about it. 

This guy appeared to be a long time dealer (not one of the big ones, but had plenty of GA and SA) so I have trouble thinking that he didnt understand the pedigree and its market difference vs non Pedigree, so I was totally turned off by his efforts to justify his price. The 7.5 was probably worth a grand at best, but I couldnt believe his attempts to inflate his book to someone who maybe didnt understand the market (do people spend $1k without understanding the market? I shudder to think so...)

I would have just mentioned that the higher grade was a pedigree.

He could also be of the feeling that even though his copy wasn't a pedigree it still was worthy of a "premium".

Which is why I also check OSPG for a pricing reference.

Edited by blazingbob

22 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Wasn't exactly what I saw when I went through Glen's inventory.

He has some nice books where with the discount you could make some money selling them.

I didn't buy keys from him,  I bought some very nice inventory stock and some cool CGC books.

Grade well,  price fairly and don't be afraid to discount and you can make money.

Not directed at you but If you cannot make money in today's market you really don't know what you are doing.  

I would have to agree.  I'm always happy when Con guys are doing well since that usually means us E-Bay / Amazon guys are doing well also.  Maybe some day I'll try out the Con circuit again but for now online seems so much easier with less wear and tear on the old body.

3 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I would have just mentioned that the higher grade was a pedigree.

He could also be of the feeling that even though his copy wasn't a pedigree it still was worthy of a "premium".

Which is why I also check OSPG for a pricing reference.

Didnt feel like trying to teach a guy how to do his job, or try to convince him about the difference of a pedigree vs a non-pedigree, or about the 5-6x market markup that Okajimas are getting so they arent much use to determine a books market (unless you are trying to figure out the market value of another Okajima)

And plenty of dealers out there dont want to hear from customers why their prices are wrong, even when presented graciously (as I would have)...

21 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Grab tends to mean to me that the guy was giving them away.

I don't "grab" books,  I buy them and hope that the transaction is "fair" to the both of us where in the future he will sell me more books.

I always like to hear about your end of the comic marketplace but we are usually just see things from a different perspective since you are a much bigger fish in the water.  I always try to treat everyone fairly buying and selling but our approach in being to buy large batches of books at Cons is obviously different.

Edited by 1Cool

Shelton across me said he did very well. Ken from cloud 9 and his from silverage told me at load out they had a good show. 

New company out of Nj that was on my left was very pleased with their show. 

I think Leroy told me it was good. Bedrock and Reece both told me good or great (can’t recall). Only saw storms for a minute but he’s posting here so hopefully great show for him. 

I went ahead and booked my booths for next year ...not sure if the almost month later date will affect or not, we shall see. 

On 9/29/2018 at 3:01 PM, williamhlawson said:

Ok gang, I'm breaking out my con newbie reveal in grand fashion. Is it considered bad form to bring some books to a con to attempt to sell?? I wasn't thinking anything GA unless maybe a low grade reader or two (Superman, Cap) and some very decent Bronze/Coppers in grade that I don't really care about anymore.  Funding art is the point.  Stuff like ASM ann 1 VG, Swamp Thing 1 - 10 from f-nm (true), # 1 signed by Berni.  Dark Knight 1 - 4 never read extra set.  Conan 23 nm-/nm stuff like that.  Nothing high end, just popular items that seem easier to move for dealers.  My 4th con ever, only Sunday and enroute to NYCC.  Just wanting to know if this is a bad idea, frowned on, etc.

On 9/29/2018 at 3:27 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

It's fine to bring books to sell to the dealers. What's frowned upon, is trying to sell to customers. I wouldn't expect much for the books you are offering. Dealers generally like wall book candidates.

These are definitely wall books. Just depends on what kind of dealer you are. Most people that attend comic cons like this are not going to be buying gold and silver age comics.

30 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

I always like to hear about your end of the comic marketplace but we are usually just see things from a different perspective since you are a much bigger fish in the water.  I always try to treat everyone fairly buying and selling but our approach in being to buy large batches of books at Cons is obviously different.

Just an fyi but I didn't exactly start out with the inventory I have now.  Took years of paying my dues,  buying and selling and learning.  There are a number of guys out there moaning that they can't make money because all they want are home runs and think that buying keys is the way to go.  Home run's are nice to have but that is not how you make money in the comic business.  

I was told years ago by a dealer that "I'm not in business to make you money".  So if you want to build your business buying from auction houses and other dealers you should have a lot of money and work on thin margins.

You also need to be right a lot more times then you can be wrong.  And everyone will make mistakes.  

Edited by blazingbob

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

These are definitely wall books. Just depends on what kind of dealer you are. Most people that attend comic cons like this are not going to be buying gold and silver age comics.

And yet almost every book I sold was silver age or golden age ...but since that’s about all I stock guess it stands to reason that’s what I’d sell lol

55 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

The one bad interaction I had was either a dealer not understanding how pedigrees and gpa worked, or was trying to scam me massively. 

I wont say the dealer (I honestly dont remember his name, but I remember the book so someone could probably figure it out if I got specific). 

I asked about a War cover GA Nedor in 7.5 slabbed by the competition. He told me it was $4000, and that was "under GPA" cause one that was just "one grade higher" had recently sold for almost $6k.

Now the problem? I knew the book he was referencing that had sold for $6k and was just "one grade higher" 

Sure it was one grade higher (an 8.0) but it was also AN OKAJIMA PEDIGREE!

I thanked him for showing me the book and said I'd think about it. 

This guy appeared to be a long time dealer (not one of the big ones, but had plenty of GA and SA) so I have trouble thinking that he didnt understand the pedigree and its market difference vs non Pedigree, so I was totally turned off by his efforts to justify his price. The 7.5 was probably worth a grand at best, but I couldnt believe his attempts to inflate his book to someone who maybe didnt understand the market (do people spend $1k without understanding the market? I shudder to think so...)

You should have told him yeah your Jedi Mind Trick isnt working.  Try the weak-minded, maybe.

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

And yet almost every book I sold was silver age or golden age ...but since that’s about all I stock guess it stands to reason that’s what I’d sell lol

Yes, you can only sell what you have. I'm saying, walk around a con of this size and look who is there. Tons of people go to ogle comics, meet artists, get toys, etc... There are many different types of stands for different people. And there are plenty of people who can't image spending a couple hundred dollars on a book and especially not thousands. Look at the map and list of exhibitors. Many more of the other booths than there are comic dealers.

Though our trip was a bit shorter than we like because we had a show to get to in Toronto. We had a blast.  I didn't have many books for onsite but the ones I did I was pleased with the grades.  I love going to the shows for the social aspect.  It's always a blast talking with individuals who I don't get to see all the time.  This was my first time doing the Bmore show and I'd definitely go back given the opportunity, a number of big dealers were there and though the super heavy hitters like an action 1 or tec 27 didn't seem to be floating on the floor there was definitely a wide variety of super golds like Bat1's to rarer less $ gold.  Silver was plentiful (I was out of money very early on so I stopped looking as I didn't want to go overboard).  No shortage of Bronze and copper keys either.   CGC onsite pickup wasn't on the show floor which I'm not sure how I feel...meant 1 staffer was always waiting to hand out slabs (even when no one was there to pick up), whereas you didn't really have to wait in long submission lines to get your subs back.  From the dozen or so people who were actively digging and buying not one of them sounded disappointed with what they'd found.  I'm sad this is my last US Con for 2018 but alas this bear must hibernate for the winter.