• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay and Geppi on CNBC

19 posts in this topic

Hi. Last Wednesday night I watched a special on Ebay on CNBC, the 90 minute show is repeating tonight on CNBC. Very interesting show covering Ebay's startup, problems, scams, trust, future etc. Also Steve Geppi was profiled as the "millionaire collector" who has spent over 5 Mil on Ebay. Interesting thing about him is that despite his vast wealth, he seemed just as much "comic-geek" as any fanboy seeking the dollar bins. Also profiled were several other small to midsize collectors and dealers operating on Ebay. Anyway, it was very interesting and comics were brought up several times. Check it out tonight. Starts at 8:00 p.m. Pacific time.

I watched it and I was surprised by the clutter in his office. What also caught my ear was the family selling DVDs, the father stated they made over 800k in one year! I know that’s most likely a Gross figure, but even at 10% profit margin, that's some big bucks! While watching it I also wondered if it just wasn't a 2 hour commercial for E-Bay

I don't think it was just a promo for Ebay as they certainly did bring up many of the negatives regarding the site. And Ebay's defense of those problems were not always so comforting. I think CNBC was fairly neutral on the matter. Yes, that couple with the DVD business was inspring. That example by itself made opening up a business on Ebay look pretty simple and profitable, but there were other cases where small businesses had to leave Ebay due to the increasing fees.

What I learned from this, partially inspired by the "DVD Couple" is that someday when I hope 893crossfingers-thumb.gif to become a full time Ebay dealer I will mix sales between comics and some (as yet unknown) retail item that I can specialize in to offset the ups and downs of the comics business.

What I learned from this, partially inspired by the "DVD Couple" is that someday when I hope 893crossfingers-thumb.gif to become a full time Ebay dealer I will mix sales between comics and some (as yet unknown) retail item that I can specialize in to offset the ups and downs of the comics business.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif ...mousepads with "breast rests"... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif ...mousepads with "breast rests"... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Believe it or not I already have one of those. Very comforting on the ol' wrist.

Thanks for the heads up. It's on at 5pm and 8pm 01July. I'vs got the digital cable timed already so I don't miss it.

Yeah, thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Turned it on just now in time to see Geppi and the Tarzan pop-up book. Fun stuff.

Marc

I missed it. Christo_pull_hair.gif

This show is on again on the 9th I believe (check DirecTV listings), so if anyone missed it, you still have another chance.

Myself, I haven't seen it yet, but I did Tivo it while I went to my LCS last night to pick up my weekly comics! I'm looking forward to watching it tonight though!

Thanks for the tip BassGMan! 893applaud-thumb.gif