• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which tier

17 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

So looking at Modern Tier and the books i plan on sending in a few are more than $200 ie Batman Adventures 12.  Should I still use Modern? 

Yes. (There is nothing better than getting a surcharge after the fact.) :grin:

Edited by divad

Personally it's a matter of insurance value.  If you submit a $400 book via Modern, it will only be insured up to $200.  Granted, if CGC deems it should be part of a higher tier, then they'll just charge you the difference.

So you gotta ask yourself, if it's insured for only $200 and USPS or FedEx loses the package and only offers your $200 compensation, is that okay with you?

34 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Personally it's a matter of insurance value.  If you submit a $400 book via Modern, it will only be insured up to $200.  Granted, if CGC deems it should be part of a higher tier, then they'll just charge you the difference.

So you gotta ask yourself, if it's insured for only $200 and USPS or FedEx loses the package and only offers your $200 compensation, is that okay with you?

I thought that insured is if CGC messes up.  The USPS has rates on way back.  If they charge on receipt.  It is a basic raw grade no higher than 9.2.  Then when you get that sweet 9.8 that is insured differently. 

5 hours ago, Jaydee said:

So looking at Modern Tier and the books i plan on sending in a few are more than $200 ie Batman Adventures 12.  Should I still use Modern? 

If I was a CGC grader, I would hammer your book for trying to bypass the rules to save a few bucks. While I don't believe in over analyzing the pricing tiers, and to err on the side of the cheaper tier, I do think a BA 12 is stretching it . (shrug)

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If I was a CGC grader, I would hammer your book for trying to bypass the rules to save a few bucks. While I don't believe in over analyzing the pricing tiers, and to err on the side of the cheaper tier, I do think a BA 12 is stretching it . (shrug)

Bob, I usually stay away from Modern super Keys because of the market.  I guess standard tier is best course of action.  This also allows me to send some higher end silver age that while not super keys they are in such amazing condition that they value higher.  My issue is I usually group my submissions together .  

4 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

BB, we usually agree on things, but I have to disagree here. The book's value in the case of moderns is largely determined by the grade given by CGC. Until it is slabbed (or sold), you really don't know what its FMV is.  Why pay more up front? It's not cheating (and btw, the graders don't determine the fees charged - they only determine the grade). It doesn't matter what the book is BA 12, some Italian artist, or Evil Ernie 1, etc. As to insurance, you make that choice, and often the submitter pays much more for insurance than they actually need to.

And it's absurd to suggest that the graders would base any grading decision on the amount of fees paid.

Edited by divad

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Have you ever lost a package from CGC? I NEVER have. :sumo: And what if you only paid 5 bucks or so for that BA 12, do you insure it for 500, 1000? hm

Edited by divad

3 minutes ago, divad said:

Have you ever lost a package from CGC? I NEVER have. :sumo: And what if you only paid 5 bucks or so for that BA 12, do you insure it for 500, 1000? hm

Never lost a book from CGC, but it seems some books have been stolen while being sent via FedEx so I was thinking of instances like that where insurance would be necessary.  As for value, even if you only paid cover price at time of release, what is the estimated FMV today?  I suppose no one is a professional grader so whatever the customer determines the value to be should suffice so long as it is reasonable.  (shrug)

4 hours ago, divad said:

BB, we usually agree on things, but I have to disagree here. The book's value in the case of moderns is largely determined by the grade given by CGC. Until it is slabbed (or sold), you really don't know what its FMV is.  Why pay more up front? It's not cheating (and btw, the graders don't determine the fees charged - they only determine the grade). It doesn't matter what the book is BA 12, some Italian artist, or Evil Ernie 1, etc. As to insurance, you make that choice, and often the submitter pays much more for insurance than they actually need to.

And it's absurd to suggest that the graders would base any grading decision on the amount of fees paid.

This is more along with my Thinking.  I do not know if it is a 9.4,9.6 or 9.8.  The difference raw is tier modern, standard, and the express whatever 3k is.  And also it ruins an invoice so i have 5 modern books all High Grade "popular " books.  

11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I spoke to Jennifer at CGC.  She Said it is perfectly fine and NORMAL to submit that book in a Modern Tier.  The consider the package as a whole and as long as it is a Modern (1975+) they accept all as Moderns first.  Then IF AFTER GRADED the Grader thinks they will surcharge you or Bump you up they will do so accordingly.  This is common.  They will only Bump you up not Bring you down.  

6 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Never lost a book from CGC, but it seems some books have been stolen while being sent via FedEx so I was thinking of instances like that where insurance would be necessary.  As for value, even if you only paid cover price at time of release, what is the estimated FMV today?  I suppose no one is a professional grader so whatever the customer determines the value to be should suffice so long as it is reasonable.  (shrug)

This was brought up.  If the Higher tier is Chosen the appropriate insurance is considered and applied.  (If they bump you to Standard the insurance goes up to 1000.)  

To SUM UP Instead of Paying $135 for 1 book Submitted and $153 for 4 Submitted FAST Track Modern (288).  The Total Can be $180 (saving of 108) or if a  Bump to 211.50 to a Max of $243

It is Economics Bob.  Iam not Trying to bypass rules.  (The rules are also subjective per CGC) 

15 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

14 hours ago, Jaydee said:

I thought that insured is if CGC messes up.  The USPS has rates on way back.  If they charge on receipt.  It is a basic raw grade no higher than 9.2.  Then when you get that sweet 9.8 that is insured differently. 

Yes, if it gets damaged in the possession of CGC. If they somehow damage it, they will call and ask what you want to do. Meaning, do you want the $200 insurance you claimed on the submittal form. You are not paying the shipping company the insurance coverage fee so why would they care?

Right you choose Shipping Insurance on the way to Sarasota and on they way from Sarasota.  The "Declared VALUE" is insurance  when Someone over taps a HOS 92 to super secure it and a CGC handler inadvertently misses the 29th layer of tape.  (Actual Story with some embellishment from a CGC grader in KC last year)

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/dc/batwoman/first-look-at-ruby-rose-suited-up-as-the-cws-batwoman-has-leaked-online-and-its-seriously-amazing-a164012

Batwoman photo "leaks" ... should have subbed her keys a long time ago.  I think sometimes I don't slab books because I know it will force me to keep them longer that way. lol 

9 hours ago, divad said:

Actually, I agree with you, but again I think with a couple books like BA 12 or WD #1, it's not appropriate. I think the Modern 'caps' at 200 and, before or after CGC grading, his BA 12 would have to be a rag to fall into that category. CGC has the tiers for good reason and it's more work for the back office to monitor this. I would think they have to go back and charge his CC again, make the phone call, and whatever else needs to be done. I'm sure this takes away resources for other important things. BTW, I didn't mean to suggest the graders base any grading decisions on tier, just a tongue in cheek comment. 

Edit: Apparently per CGC's response they are fine with this so I stand corrected.

Edited by Bomber-Bob

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

I spoke to Jennifer at CGC.  She Said it is perfectly fine and NORMAL to submit that book in a Modern Tier.  The consider the package as a whole and as long as it is a Modern (1975+) they accept all as Moderns first.  Then IF AFTER GRADED the Grader thinks they will surcharge you or Bump you up they will do so accordingly.  This is common.  They will only Bump you up not Bring you down.  

This was brought up.  If the Higher tier is Chosen the appropriate insurance is considered and applied.  (If they bump you to Standard the insurance goes up to 1000.)  

To SUM UP Instead of Paying $135 for 1 book Submitted and $153 for 4 Submitted FAST Track Modern (288).  The Total Can be $180 (saving of 108) or if a  Bump to 211.50 to a Max of $243

It is Economics Bob.  Iam not Trying to bypass rules.  (The rules are also subjective per CGC) 

Okay, I stand corrected. If CGC says it's okay, it's okay with me ! Remember, you asked the question, I just gave my opinion. BTW, I do understand your point about the benefits of having your whole submission together in one tier.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, I stand corrected. If CGC says it's okay, it's okay with me ! Remember, you asked the question, I just gave my opinion. BTW, I do understand your point about the benefits of having your whole submission together in one tier.

No and I really appreciate at it.  It had me look into it further.  One Comment was I got from them on the phone was " I wasn't submitting 6 $1000 books" Just 5 Decent Moderns (Eternals, WhatIf, Black suit Spidey) and One Oh So Pretty (Not a rag at all) BA 12