• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is The Most Valuable Book You've Ever Owned?

60 posts in this topic

Not another "Most You've Ever Spent" thread, but the most valuable book you've ever owned, no matter how much you paid. It could be a book you had before the comics market took off, or something you purchased at a cheap price before the book itself skyrocketed.

For me, I'd say that the NM copy of FOUR COLOR #29 I owned for a little while in the late eighties was the most valuable. I traded a bunch of Golden Age DC books for it, and it was gorgeous. Wish I still had it! Come to think of it, I wish I still had all of the books that I traded too. sorry.gif

As a collector who started in the Bronze age I've never had a high dollar GA book. But I did have a Fantastic Four #6 that I got in 1978.

Sad to say, but it met its' demise while I was away at college and Mom trashed my 1st ever long box of comics. frustrated.gif She still doesn't get it when I remind her about it from time to time. Christo_pull_hair.gif

That box also had a Amazing Spider-Man #7 & a Giant Sized X-Men #1

The highest value book that I still have is a Tales of Suspense #59.

Hard to say - I bought both Hulk 181 and GSXM 1 off the newstand - so they were both probably at least 9.4s for a short while - i suppose if they had been 9.8 copies they might be worth today more than anything else I've had. I don't think I ever had a Marvel key in better than VG/F when I was a young collector - and I never got around to buying any of the big 3 (FF1, AF15,ASM1) when I was young. I do have a raw VG- FF1 now - not sure what the current FMV is today. I've never been grade obsessed - even if I was looking for a "high grade" copy of something - a solid 9.2 was fine with me - so I've generally missed out on the opportunity to realize 20+ fold returns on books I bought 10-15 years ago - which were mostly low-mid grade Atom Age anyway.

JLA #1 in about vf+ if memory serves, was stolen along with the rest of my long box of autographed comics/random wolvies and DD's i had collected. took me out of the hobby for almost ten years.

JLA #1 in about vf+ if memory serves, was stolen along with the rest of my long box of autographed comics/random wolvies and DD's i had collected. took me out of the hobby for almost ten years.

That sucks. frown.gif

Did you ever catch the bastards who did it? sumo.gif

unfortunately no, but i was like 10 at the time, and had gotten it for my birthday the previous week from my uncle. So unless it was a kid I wouldn't have been able to donkey punch em anyways.

> I'd say that the NM copy of FOUR COLOR #29

When the first high grade CGC copy of FC 29 surfaces, the market

will go crazy. Currently, the census for CGC 8.0 or better reads:

FC 9: 9 copies

FC 29: 0 copies(!)

FC 62: 8 copies

FC 108: 16 copies

If I had a high grade copy and wanted to maximize my profits, now

would be the best time to sell.

The copy I had was at least a 9.2 with sparkling white pages, incredible cover gloss. Heck, it could have been a Pedigree, no one really talked much about those during this period. I don't think it was restored, but the market was different about resto then, so who knows? It was a magnificient book.

> I'd say that the NM copy of FOUR COLOR #29

When the first high grade CGC copy of FC 29 surfaces, the market

will go crazy. Currently, the census for CGC 8.0 or better reads:

FC 9: 9 copies

FC 29: 0 copies(!)

FC 62: 8 copies

FC 108: 16 copies

If I had a high grade copy and wanted to maximize my profits, now

would be the best time to sell.

I`m told that another copy of FC 9 has been certified as a 9.4 (hasn`t shown up in the census yet because CGC appear to have stopped updating the census). The number of copies of this book in 9.4 or better is truly staggering.

hey - - -redaing your post gave me an awful idea: what if CGC stopped updating the census because it is ALREADY noticeably swelled with pressed HG resubs!!???

yikes!

Holy conspiracy theory Batman!

hey - - -redaing your post gave me an awful idea: what if CGC stopped updating the census because it is ALREADY noticeably swelled with pressed HG resubs!!???

yikes!

Holy conspiracy theory Batman!

The Census is ALL pressed HG resubs. We've only pinpointed the first few dozen, that's all. Just another 500,000+ to go!

Can't be mentioned in the same breadth as Pov's old Action #1, but I owned an ASM 14 in CGC 9.4. Thought it was a tad overgraded, so it was sold for other acquisitions. It's still the only ASM missing from my run from 2 - 250.

Not another "Most You've Ever Spent" thread, but the most valuable book you've ever owned, no matter how much you paid.

I ain't saying nuthin'! tongue.gifcrazy.gifwink.gif

That whole story brings tears to my eyes. sorry.gif

Not another "Most You've Ever Spent" thread, but the most valuable book you've ever owned, no matter how much you paid. It could be a book you had before the comics market took off, or something you purchased at a cheap price before the book itself skyrocketed.

I bought my grail book about 4 years ago, and was forced to let it go. The 10-day auction ended 5 days after the release of Spidey 2....being sniped at $898. 893whatthe.gif

I really wish I could have just kept it, but the books I was able to buy with that money make up for it. Still miss it though. frown.gif

CGC 9.6W

DEXKM-AMAZINGSPIDER-MAN136CGC.jpg

I have never owned a single book worth as much as $850. You didn't say anything about the book retaining it's value ...did you? shy.gif