• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is The Most Valuable Book You've Ever Owned?

60 posts in this topic

whadda you think?

I think that's the best $5 you will ever spend in your life! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I about crapped when I saw it on the shelf...just thrown there with some other ephemera and beat up comics. "5$" was scribbled on a piece of paper and paperclipped to the cover. I snatched it up immediately and was having troubles functioning...the clerk said "you got yourself a good book there," though he couldnt have know its true value. The store was in Clearfield, PA. I was not sure if there had been some reprints of the book, so once I got home and looked it up, I knew I had the real deal. I just cant decide if I should sell it or hold onto it. I think this book should retain its value for many many years, eh?

At a different store in PA, I picked up a vf (8.0 id guess) copy of Dell Giant Donald Duck Fun Book, which was completely unused..I paid 12 bucks for that and it books close to 400 bucks. Bot oh Boy.... Im getting the urge to do some hunting this weekend!

Im new here, but this thread cuaght my eye. The most valuable comic Ive ever owned is Suspense Comics #3...in fair to poor condition.... bought if for FIVE BUCKS at a antique store last year!!!!

Is it complete? 893whatthe.gif

whadda you think?

I think that's the best $5 you will ever spend in your life! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I about crapped when I saw it on the shelf...just thrown there with some other ephemera and beat up comics. "5$" was scribbled on a piece of paper and paperclipped to the cover. I snatched it up immediately and was having troubles functioning...the clerk said "you got yourself a good book there," though he couldnt have know its true value. The store was in Clearfield, PA. I was not sure if there had been some reprints of the book, so once I got home and looked it up, I knew I had the real deal. I just cant decide if I should sell it or hold onto it. I think this book should retain its value for many many years, eh?

At a different store in PA, I picked up a vf (8.0 id guess) copy of Dell Giant Donald Duck Fun Book, which was completely unused..I paid 12 bucks for that and it books close to 400 bucks. Bot oh Boy.... Im getting the urge to do some hunting this weekend!

I would have craaped myself too and walked out of the store in a complete haze. Despite some people on these boards claiming it's over-valued, I think has one of the top 10 golden age covers and will remain in demand for a long time to come. My favorite Schomburg cover, a tie with Startling 49. You are a lucky man. thumbsup2.gif

based on the pics I posted, any idea what this might grade to? Im not a real pro at grading, and am not too familliar with the CGC system. So you think its worth at least a grand, DICKLES? even with the massive missing piece on the cover page?

Do you have smaller scans you can post? Based on what I can see, I would say 1.0 (fair), but a detached cover is allowed up to 1.5 (fair/good). I don't have much experience with grading books this low, but going by the Overstreet Grading Guide, I think 1.0 is proper.

If the chunk wasn't out of the first page, it would be a 1.8, even with the loose cover ( I don't know what CGC's cut-off is for a loose cover- I bought a CGC 2.5 Timely with a loose cover, and first two wraps - depending on what shape the rest of a given book is in, I could see going as high as 4.0 on a loose cover book). That chunk would technically make it no better than Fair (1.0) but since most of Suspense #3's value is in the cover, I don't see it having much less value than it would even without the chunk missing.

I don't know what CGC's cut-off is for a loose cover- I bought a CGC 2.5 Timely with a loose cover, and first two wraps - depending on what shape the rest of a given book is in, I could see going as high as 4.0 on a loose cover book.

Interesting. OPG only gets into detached covers at 1.5, but like many other defects, if the rest of the book is in nice shape it's a tough call. I agree with you though, an otherwise perfect book with a detached cover might get a 4.0...obviously under 2.0 would be far too harsh. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Basically, you can see the main flaws in the posts. The cover is detached, and has some pther defects. The book itself is in pretty nice shape...no foxing or vrittle pages...just that darn chunk out of the page. You can see a stain on the top right corner which does through the entire book...including the front and back covers. All pages are there. Also...there seems to be only one staple in the book...was that normal for books of that age, or is it a factory flaw? you think a 1.0 would be a fair grade then??

Im trying to rescale that darn pic, but I cant figure it out. Sorry about that. I know it makes viewing this thread a pain since everything has shifted to accomodate my oversized mega pic. Being somewhat computer illiterate...at least when it comes to graphics....really stinks.

based on the pics I posted, any idea what this might grade to? Im not a real pro at grading, and am not too familliar with the CGC system. So you think its worth at least a grand, DICKLES? even with the massive missing piece on the cover page?

With the cover looking so nice and complete, at the very least a grand. Maybe a lot more.

Did you buy that Spidey #1 from Glenn? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, I purchased it from the Ebay seller "midnightshadow17" 2 years ago. I can't remember what his first name was, but we did have a couple of e-mail conversations after I bought other GA books from him. I guess back in the early to mid 80's he'd accumulated many vintage comics, and decided to slab them when CGC came out. Very nice guy.

That being said, I'm not exactly sure whether this book was from his original collection or if he had purchased it slabbed a couple of years beforehand. He did mention that he looks for deals on Ebay to turn a small profit, while having fun doing it.

Scott,

I just checked my archived e-mail and the sellers name is Steve Zuvich.

I also purchased Human Torch #3 (CGC 8.5), All Select #3 (CGC 7.0), Batman #12 (CGC 7.0), Batman #15 (CGC 7.5), Hulk #5 (CGC 7.5), and some other CGC and raw books from him during that time period. At that time he only accepted personal checks so I was at least able to buy this stuff at slightly below guide value.