• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of PGX
3 3

185 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

So if I see a PGX book that I want I just call a CGC grader and they will come and look at the book still encapsulated and let me know if it is restored? Dammmmmm that is so cool.

Almost.

They will not 'come and look at the book', the book has to be submitted to them for evaluation.

1636066558_ScreenShot2019-01-04at7_41_56AM.thumb.png.6d9bf4f5ca7f9a89f8adb85aed0ac74a.png

59 minutes ago, tabcom said:
13 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

So if I see a PGX book that I want I just call a CGC grader and they will come and look at the book still encapsulated and let me know if it is restored? Dammmmmm that is so cool.

Almost.

They will not 'come and look at the book', the book has to be submitted to them for evaluation.

1636066558_ScreenShot2019-01-04at7_41_56AM.thumb.png.6d9bf4f5ca7f9a89f8adb85aed0ac74a.png

Almost.

I think you missed something or didn't fully read what you pasted. See the third bullet point. 

"Comics submitted for CrossOver will be REMOVED from their existing holder by CGC and graded according to CGC's standards..."

Edited by awakeintheashes

20 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Almost.

I think you missed something or didn't fully read what you pasted. See the third bullet point. 

"Comics submitted for CrossOver will be REMOVED from their existing holder by CGC and graded according to CGC's standards..."

My understanding is CGC does a visual inspection from the exterior of the case and, with admittedly limited knowledge and no guarantees, will give their opinion to the owner prior to cracking the case for grading. When providing their preliminary opinion, they also request approval to proceed. I'm sure if they spotted resto they would disclose that as well... At least, this is how it went for me when I submitted a crossover...

All of this said, there are obvious limitations to making an assessment of the exterior of a book through a plastic case...

1 hour ago, awakeintheashes said:

Almost.

I'm making the assumption that removal comes after the owner approves the regrade. Not during the cursory opinion of condition. (Previous post confirms)

Edited by tabcom

I can't see why you would want CGC to tell you if the book has restoration by looking thru the case. The only reason I can think of is so that you can tell them not to crack open the case and then sell it to some unsuspecting person and let it become their problem. You would be performing a dishonest sale but then again its PGX so why not?