• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are comic shops closing their doors in your area?
2 2

88 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I’m not sure what you collect but if you like gold, silver and bronze definitely check out World’s Greatest Comics in Westerville and Capital City Comics in Reynoldsburg.  Pretty much the only two options around Columbus if you like older stuff.  Welcome to Columbus by the way!  

I moved to Phoenix after 25 years in Worthington. Good to know that there are still stores in the area. Is the British Papermill on the east side still in business? I think it was in the outlet mall.

The number of shops in Colorado (Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins) has largely been the same for a decade. 

But the are largely shops that have been around a very long time and they don't have competition for 20 miles or more.  

Boulder has the 1 shop as already mentioned.  Been there for decades. 

Obviously Mile High in Denver.  I Want More Comics is the most "recent", but also the most modern.  They constantly look to use current technology to grow. 

Fort Collins is really poor for comics.  Such a great city with a sizeable college population and the shops are terrible. 

Greeley and Loveland are owned by the same guy.  Long time guy that really loves comics.  He's also one of the only places that carries Sports cards.  

Aurora has All C's.  Probably the most diverse with tons of comics, Magic, vintage and newer toys, and coins.  Also the smartest in their online vs mortar sales.  

On a side note, the number of personnel going to shops seems to be WAY down compared to a couple years ago.  I still am impressed to see the number of females in shops.  Those Funkos seem to appeal to the younger and female crowds a lot, so that's a good thing. 

Patrick

14 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

I’m not sure what you collect but if you like gold, silver and bronze definitely check out World’s Greatest Comics in Westerville and Capital City Comics in Reynoldsburg.  Pretty much the only two options around Columbus if you like older stuff.  Welcome to Columbus by the way!  

22 hours ago, SearchForSpidey said:

Welcome! Life long resident so I have been to them all feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need a local to chat at. 

Thanks! Still getting used to the city, the state and the region. I'm sure it will grow on me.

3 hours ago, followtheleader said:

The number of shops in Colorado (Denver/Boulder/Fort Collins) has largely been the same for a decade. 

But the are largely shops that have been around a very long time and they don't have competition for 20 miles or more.  

Boulder has the 1 shop as already mentioned.  Been there for decades. 

Obviously Mile High in Denver.  I Want More Comics is the most "recent", but also the most modern.  They constantly look to use current technology to grow. 

Fort Collins is really poor for comics.  Such a great city with a sizeable college population and the shops are terrible. 

Greeley and Loveland are owned by the same guy.  Long time guy that really loves comics.  He's also one of the only places that carries Sports cards.  

Aurora has All C's.  Probably the most diverse with tons of comics, Magic, vintage and newer toys, and coins.  Also the smartest in their online vs mortar sales.  

On a side note, the number of personnel going to shops seems to be WAY down compared to a couple years ago.  I still am impressed to see the number of females in shops.  Those Funkos seem to appeal to the younger and female crowds a lot, so that's a good thing. 

Patrick

Hey Patrick, have you been to Hailey's Comics in Ft Collins?  The owner is a bit of a grouch but he gets GA stuff from time to time.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:57 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

If you're willing to drive an hour west of Columbus, I can think of another... B|

14 hours ago, robocard said:

I moved to Phoenix after 25 years in Worthington. Good to know that there are still stores in the area. Is the British Papermill on the east side still in business? I think it was in the outlet mall.

The BP has been closed for a long time now.  The former owner’s brother bought it from him about 10 years ago and moved it to Reynoldsburg.  I go there every Wednesday to shoot the breeze.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:16 AM, Robot Man said:

I haven't noticed any stores opening or closing in my area. (LA). Most do not carry back issues especially SA or GA (my focus). Most are just new product and toys. They must be doing OK to stay open. I usually only buy supplies or the occasional trade paperback to read nowdays at my local shop. Comics are real hot when I bring them to the flea market. I think the hobby is pretty healthy out here.

Meltdown comics famously closed last year- not really the place to go for golden age comics or even silver age comics, but it was still a great shop that in addition to carrying new comics, had all kinds of collectible toys and figures, tables where people played D&D and other games like that, and all kinds of cool TPBs etc. also had a great stage in the back where comedy shows were put on.