• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,143 posts in this topic

Now that's gangsta!!

I like the top right (Amazing Stories) comic on the picture you posted above the best.

I know attachments don't work in the quote function, but the scan of that Amazing Stories made me laugh.

The futuristic rocket ship is being constructed with all sorts of high tech equipment - cranes and what not - but also involved is an "old school" steam train.

The artists and writers really were feeling their way around this new-fangled scientifiction business.

Edit: What the hell, I'll add the pic

79196.jpg.becda95fc12e5ff4e6530219ef05958e.jpg

Edited by Duffman_Comics

Anyone ever see that old Danny Kaye movie called "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"....? The place he works (in the movie) is very cool.....its a Pulp publishing business.....and a couple times he walks through the art dept. and you can see some of the artists working on their cover paintings.

Those covers are really really cool, that one with the chick going into the eye..that was cool as mess...

Yes, one of my faves as well.

Talk about beauty being in the eye of the beholder.....

Pulp Fiction

:o

Nice batch :applause:

Strange! How often does a Graham condenser get to share a cover with a hot babe in a green dress?

Great set of pulps.

Jack

79199.jpg

Adventure397.jpg

Such a bizarre cover.

The pants suit cracks me up every time -- staggeringly ugly design. Apparently Sekowsky didn't think much of it either, drawing Supergirl's head on top of a pregnant grandmother's body.

Jack

Picked these up recently....cuz they were cheap....uh....I mean....inexpensive. Numbers are 85, 102 and 117 with front and back. The 117 is real pretty

LooneyTunes85.jpg

Looney102.jpg

Looney117.jpg

Looney117back.jpg

Picked these up recently....cuz they were cheap....uh....I mean....inexpensive. Numbers are 85, 102 and 117 with front and back. The 117 is real pretty

Looney102.jpg

I love it when a 50- to 60-year-old kiddies' comic book that you probably got for a couple of bucks gives me the biggest chuckle I'll have all day. Fun covers!

How are the Mary Jane and Sniffles stories? Usually my favorite if they're "old school" Mary Jane with the italic lettering. I really need to remember which artist used which style.

Jack

How are the Mary Jane and Sniffles stories? Usually my favorite if they're "old school" Mary Jane with the italic lettering. I really need to remember which artist used which style.

Jack

They are ok. The writing is not as good as Disney stuff....but I am still enjoying them. Issue 85 is now my oldest one (1948) so not sure if the art was diff in the early years. I have 6 of these books now and the stories in each are the same . Bugs, Mary Jane and Sniffles, Porky, Henry Hawk and Elmer Fudd last.

Jack

They are ok. The writing is not as good as Disney stuff....but I am still enjoying them. Issue 85 is now my oldest one (1948) so not sure if the art was diff in the early years. I have 6 of these books now and the stories in each are the same . Bugs, Mary Jane and Sniffles, Porky, Henry Hawk and Elmer Fudd last.

Toonopedia says:

"Editor Chase Craig (Magnus, Robot Fighter) created and wrote the "Mary Jane & Sniffles" series, naming its human protagonist after his wife. (There is some speculation that he based the character on the little girl in Beauty & the Beast, a 1934 Merrie Melody directed by Friz Freleng, but the connection, consisting mostly of hair color and the fact that "Beauty" used a similar method to shrink into the toy world, seems uncertain.) Through most of the 1940s, the series was drawn by Roger Armstrong, whose other credits include stints on the Ella Cinders, Napoleon and Scamp newspaper strips. In the '50s, Al Hubbard, whose credits, by an odd coincidence, also include Scamp (as well as comic book stories about Chip'n'Dale, Jiminy Cricket and practically every other Disney character), took it over."

Attached are typical of the MJ&S pages that I like. Is that Armstrong's style? Notice the italic lettering. Later, MJ looks slicker, more like Disney's Alice in Wonderland, with standard block lettering. Are those Hubbard?

LTMM 125

LTMM125Story4s.jpg

LTMM 129

LTMM129MaryJane.jpg

LTMM 5 -- a very early version, before Mary Jane took top billing.

(Maybe this is the only Armstrong page?)

ltmm5002.jpg

Jack