• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,150 posts in this topic

Got a short box of file copy digests from Heritage.

Too lazy to scan them all but here are some of my favourites.

ArchiesActivityDigest2.jpg

BorisKarloffDigest1.jpg

RipleysDigest1.jpg

TarzanDigest1.jpg

Got a short box of file copy digests from Heritage.

Too lazy to scan them all but here are some of my favourites.

ArchiesActivityDigest2.jpg

BorisKarloffDigest1.jpg

RipleysDigest1.jpg

TarzanDigest1.jpg

WOW! You are the master,we are but pawns before you. (worship)

This one is courtesy of pickycollector. Patrick did a nice job describing this one and was a pleasure doing business with -- he has a good eye for detail. The scans don't do the book justice as the light picks up colour differences in the masthead that one needs to squint at to see first hand -- and the whites are, well, just whiter.

GW59FJan59.jpg

GW59RJan59.jpg

I collect books starting with Kirby's full time return to Atlas/Marvel in mid-1958. This book came out one month after the first issues of Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense and Strange Worlds (all three were released September 2, 1958).

It was the first Gunsmoke Western published after Lee began the reshaping of the "house style". Atlas cover stalwart, Joe Maneely had just recently died in a subway accident and, as the Maneely covers ran out, Lee handed over the cover illustrations of most of the line to gifted EC alumni, John Severin and Jack Davis for a couple of months. I believe he was searching for a new house style when Kirby walked into his office. Aside from the teen titles (Al Harltey and Stan Goldberg had them under control), the Kirby style became the house style and then, of course, the Marvel style, as the company slowly emerged from the cloud of the 1957 Atlas implosion of titles.

This particular book is a transition issue as it features a striking Jack Davis cover -- as Kirby's first contribution to the title would have to wait for the next issue. It's a fine copy from both a rare genre (westerns have been poor cousins, too long) and an historical important period.

This one is courtesy of pickycollector. Patrick did a nice job describing this one and was a pleasure doing business with -- he has a good eye for detail. The scans don't do the book justice as the light picks up colour differences in the masthead that one needs to squint at to see first hand -- and the whites are, well, just whiter.

GW59FJan59.jpg

GW59RJan59.jpg

Never seen that cover before, Nice looking copy. (thumbs u

TTA20.jpg

That's a great cover and a beautiful copy, but ... "The Thing That Lived"?? That's not a very dramatic appellation. Last time I checked, there were a lot of "things" that "live."

lol Totally agree!! Stan was running on fumes at times when he was churning these books out. To use a sports analogy, he was "taking a few plays off" here + there.

TTA20.jpg

That's a great cover and a beautiful copy, but ... "The Thing That Lived"?? That's not a very dramatic appellation. Last time I checked, there were a lot of "things" that "live."

lol Totally agree!! Stan was running on fumes at times when he was churning these books out. To use a sports analogy, he was "taking a few plays off" here + there.

Very nice :applause: