• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,157 posts in this topic

Rebuilding my horde of these. Looking for copies without white on the spine. Sorry for the glare wanted to show the two newest copies side by side. Always loved this book I can never have too many.

tec2003.jpg

Good ol' fashioned American propaganda.

sc0e25e3c2.jpg

sc0e260f67.jpg

How's that propaganda?

Re-word the back a bit:

Be politically active, educate yourself and your family, celebrate diversity and be tolerant. Just plain common sense.

At some point, people need to wake up and realize history has borne out the fact that there were communists in this country, many of whom were funded by the Soviets, many of whom were spies, and many of whom hoped for the downfall of the US. Was there paranoia, sure. But these were real problems.

Edited by silverandbronze

sc0e25e3c2.jpg

sc0e260f67.jpg

How's that propaganda?

Re-word the back a bit:

Be politically active, educate yourself and your family, celebrate diversity and be tolerant. Just plain common sense.

At some point, people need to wake up and realize history has borne out the fact that there were communists in this country, many of whom were funded by the Soviets, many of whom were spies, and many of whom hoped for the downfall of the US. Was there paranoia, sure. But these were real problems.

And as it turns out, life under communism was very rarely peachy-keen :thumbsup:

sc0e25e3c2.jpg

sc0e260f67.jpg

How's that propaganda?

I'm just going by the definition, no judgment intended.

Definition of PROPAGANDA

1capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions

2: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

3: ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect

I'm just going by the definition, no judgment intended.

Definition of PROPAGANDA

1capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions

2: the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

3: ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect

Look, obviously, it is propaganda. Lots of things we don't normally consider propaganda technically are. My remark is just to point out that not everything that is pro-U.S. or anti-communist is "propaganda" in the pejorative sense of the word.

McCarthy and others may have been paranoid but, it turns out, w/ good reason. More so than is ever remarked upon when this period is discussed. The documents released after the fall of East Germany are incredibly revealing and get little exposure.

Rebuilding my horde of these. Looking for copies without white on the spine. Sorry for the glare wanted to show the two newest copies side by side. Always loved this book I can never have too many.

tec2003.jpg

You can never have too many Neal Adams Batman comics. (thumbs u I need a copy of that one. I've only read it in B&W in my Batman 30s to 70s book.

Hard to argue against the back cover of that propoganda

unless you're a Canadian with a copy.

how would any of that conflict with canadian democratic principles? there's nothing in there about "don't trust socialized medicine" or "everyone and everyone should be allowed to pack as much heat as they want, wherever they want"

maybe the "practice your own religion" is a bit out of place, but then again, "your own religion" could be none.