• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This week in your collection?
50 50

61,197 posts in this topic

Yes, it's SLAB-MANIA!

I don't usually buy slabs, but I couldn't resist these ebay wins.

First, Strange Terrors 2. Not just a slab, but a pedigree!

The grade is pulled down by some staple rust.

Scanning the label -- HAW!

1690490-strangeterrorslabel.jpg

The book. Lots of slab schmutz, especially on the red curtain. This is the first time I've scanned a slab. What's better if it doesn't fit in the scanner bed? Tilt it with one end against the glass or uniformly distant from the glass?

1690490-strangeterrors.jpg

Very unusual cover! The signature is cut off. C. Meyerblecks? Something like that. I'll ask at the GA forum.

Jack

SLAB-MANIA continues!

Here's the other one, My Greatest Adventure 57. Highest CGC-graded copy according to the seller. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not sure how to check.

I feel silly scanning these labels.

1690490-mga57label.jpg

And the book. I should be pimping my own book more strongly, but I'm surprised that much edge tannning and dust shadow earns VF-. The scratch starting above A in Greatest is on the slab. Dillin Moldoff cover according to GCD.

1690490-mga57.jpg

Jack

SLAB-MANIA continues!

Here's the other one, My Greatest Adventure 57. Highest CGC-graded copy according to the seller. I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm not sure how to check.

1690490-mga57label.jpg

And the book. I should be pimping my own book more strongly, but I'm surprised that much edge tannning and dust shadow earns VF-. The scratch starting above A in Greatest is on the slab. Dillin Moldoff cover according to GCD.

1690490-mga57.jpg

Jack

Nice Jack! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar.

And here is how you check to see the ranking of your copy:

Census

SLAB-MANIA continues!

1690490-mga57label.jpg

Nice Jack! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks. First time I've drawn one of those.

Almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar.

Almost didn't recognize me posting slabs, you mean!

Maybe I'll switch back to a more striking one, but this short-bus alien with a wrench cracks me up.

And here is how you check to see the ranking of your copy:

Census

Thanks again. I figured that it wasn't complicated.

These #$%^& slabbed books aren't very satisfying, are they? I might as well just file the label, let CGC store the book for me and go find a reader copy!

Jack

Yes, it's SLAB-MANIA!

I don't usually buy slabs, but I couldn't resist these ebay wins.

First, Strange Terrors 2. Not just a slab, but a pedigree!

The grade is pulled down by some staple rust.

Scanning the label -- HAW!

1690490-strangeterrorslabel.jpg

The book. Lots of slab schmutz, especially on the red curtain. This is the first time I've scanned a slab. What's better if it doesn't fit in the scanner bed? Tilt it with one end against the glass or uniformly distant from the glass?

1690490-strangeterrors.jpg

Very unusual cover! The signature is cut off. C. Meyerblecks? Something like that. I'll ask at the GA forum.

Jack

I'm not sure how Big Apple got pedigree status, since most of the books I have seen are not high grade books. confused-smiley-013.gif

SLAB-MANIA continues!

1690490-mga57label.jpg

1690490-mga57.jpg

Jack

893applaud-thumb.gif

Sorry, it always makes me laugh when people collect slabs of books that I remember buying from my LCS when they first were published.

What is truly sad and scary is that the later issues (350-425), the modern drek as some call it, are nearly impossible to find slabbed 9.8. I took a look at my raw copies, the ones i bought from my LCS, and not many of them would score a 9.6. most would rade between 9.2-9.4.